J M Design overlays for Dapol coaches

Rate this topic

Mayner

Hi John

I'm just a trifle confused - you have shown two types of generator van, the 3201-12 series BSKGSV and the 3213-3218 series BGSV. Is it your intention to produce booth of these, although they seem to be both the externally?

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

The etches for the SO & BSO sides and production order of MGWR Meat Van & Horse Box arrived last week, the sides and roof hatches for the BSSGV is expected during the next two weeks.

The kits and sides should be ready for shipping during the next two weeks.

I am looking at options to simplify the assembly of duckets or lookouts in the BSO as they are a tad fiddly.

1356-71Open Standard

DSCF3695.JPG

DSCF3806.JPG

1904-08 Brake Standard Open

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19591[/ATTACH]

DSCF3792.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG

I followed Comet Kits instructions for fitting brass sides to RTR coaches this tie and fixed the roof to the bodyshell with polystyrene cement before cutting out for the windows and the interior.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19595[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mayner

• 5 months later...
John, I was wondering how these were progressing/whether they are still available or sold out?

All coach sides are sold out and I have no plans at this stage to re-stock.

Due to the design of the tooling there is a minimum order of 3 sets of sides for the BSO, BSSGV & SO for supply by special order direct from the engravers.

• 4 months later...
All coach sides are sold out and I have no plans at this stage to re-stock.

Due to the design of the tooling there is a minimum order of 3 sets of sides for the BSO, BSSGV & SO for supply by special order direct from the engravers.

Hi John,

Now you're settling back in to the Southern winter again, I was wondering what options would be available on the full width length coaches? Thanks, K

Hi John,

Now you're settling back in to the Southern winter again, I was wondering what options would be available on the full width length coaches? Thanks, K

Kevin.

The 650 Class 2-4-0 & CIE 20T flat wagon are next in line for release before any further development work on the coach kits. The artwork is finalised for the loco and wagons and a pattern maker is preparing the masters for the castings.

Edited by Mayner

John any chance of putting up more details of your next projects here or on your Facebook page?

I will do a press release and an announcement on this site when the pattern making is complete and I can confirm cost and release date.

Both the 650 & flat wagons were announced a number of years ago on this site, New Irish Lines & RM Web which also generate the most sales

650 Class http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2482-650-Class-Preview?highlight=MGWR+650+class

Flat wagon http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3099-CIE-25436-25982-Series-Flat-Wagon?highlight=series+flat+wagon.

Edited by Mayner

How does one actually go about ordering something from you? Is there a website? Online ordering and payment?

Proposed models are announced on the Irish Models or Manufactures section of this site, New Irish Lines or the Irish Section of RM Web.

Orders by personal message on this site, RM Web, JM Design Facebook page, by e-mail to majral@xtra.co.nz or snail mail to 16 Kitchener Street, Claudelands, Hamilton 3214 as advertised on New Irish Lines.

Preferred payment in $NZ by Paypal or Stirling cheque.

Edited by Mayner

• 5 months later...

I have had a number of enquiries and I am looking at producing another batch of these sides. Please P.M. if you are interested.

The drawings for the Standard Open, Brake Standard Open and Brake Standard Generating Steam Van are ready for the engravers should have the etches for the SO & BSO should be available from August.

The BSGSV may take a little longer as the overlays are a bit more involved and may require revision before I release the fret.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19317&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=19318&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=19319&stc=1

• 4 months later...
I have had a number of enquiries and I am looking at producing another batch of these sides. Please P.M. if you are interested.

I am planning to release a second batch of CIE coach sides in September.

1339-55 Corridor Standard

1356-71 Standard Open

1904-8 Brake Standard Open

2405-2418 Buffet Car

3201-3212 BSSGV

Please PM me by 30 June if you are interested so I can confirm quantity and cost.

Edited by Mayner

I am planning to release a second batch of CIE coach sides in September.

1339-55 Corridor Standard

1356-71 Standard Open

1904-8 Brake Standard Open

2405-2418 Buffet Car

3201-3212 BSSGV

Please PM me by 30 June if you are interested so I can confirm quantity and cost.

Hi John. Thanks for info, however I was not able to send you a PM, your PM box is full. Noel

Hi John

I would like to buy one of each of the following if that is possible:

• 1 x 1339-55 Corridor Standard
  • 1 x 3201-3212 BSSGV

Please confirm price and postage to Ireland via PM.

Thanks

Noel

I'd like to model the two coach set that worked the Ballina branch during the late 70's / early 80's. Can anyone tell me if any of these overlays are suitable, or even closely resemble the prototypes?

Yes very suitable for that era , I will always remember travelling on a hot summer day on the Mallow- Tralee in a 32xx next to the loco all the windows open gently rocking from side to side with an A class roaring away .

I'd like to model the two coach set that worked the Ballina branch during the late 70's / early 80's. Can anyone tell me if any of these overlays are suitable, or even closely resemble the prototypes?

I believe that the brake standard 1904 and the 1429-1443 series laminate #1442 were fitted with storage heaters to work that branch. I'm open to correction especially on the latter in the 80s. If so, John's 1904-1908 etches would be correct for the former, and Irish Freight models does a reasonably correct version of the latter (when it's in season)

I will confirm costs once I am in a position to confirm quantities with the supplier.

Coach sides were originally priced at $31.00 NZ with the exception of the BSGV at $53.00 NZ when introduced in 2015 and may be subject to currency variation between Stirling & the NZ$ as the engraver is in the UK. Prices do not include Irish or UK Vat or US State sales taxes as exports are exempt.

I have cleared out the in box.

• 5 months later...

Hi Kevin

JM Design and railway modelling has had to take a back seat for most of 2017 due to family and other work commitments, at this stage I am unlikely to be able to fill orders for coach sides or release further kits before Jan 2018.

If all goes well I may have more time in 2018 and possibly manage a visit to Ireland/

• 2 months later...

Fingers crossed it looks like I will have a bit more time available for modelling in 2018 now that my current restoration project a 1924 California Bungalow/Bay Villa cross is nearing completion.

Last week I finally had a chance to fettle the lost wax castings that will form the patterns for the castings for the MGWR locos kits.

I expect to have the 650 Class, the coach sides and van kits available in Mid 2018, with the option of personal delivery in Ireland & the UK in June/July if we can charter an Antonov Myria for the family and the kits.

5a34d6ec12f95_ROWParkingbay.JPG.91c74e701654112e20f0c3bad1c30c78.JPG

Of course the bungalow could always morph into a Scale laser ply building kit for American, Australian & NZR modellers 9_9

Just waiting complete the final touches including interior re-decoration and landscaping. The bungalow was constructed in native hardwoods, retaining its 1920s interior joinery and fittings. We have replaced the roof, repaired exterior wall cladding, re-wiring, modernised kitchen and bathroom. Not bad after more than 90 years.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 6