Provincial Wagons Bulleid Open kit now available.

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Bullied+open+006.jpg

The photo is of our prototype wagon which clearly shows the unusual triangulated chassis, patented by Oliver Bulleid and his chief draughtsman at the Southern Railway - Lionel Lynes.

The wagon was introduced in 1956 in this form and was built to the tune of over two thousand wagons, of which 1,000 were still in use by the end of the 1970s. They were used on all manner of traffic initially and were seen all over Ireland, so you can have one (or more!) on your train North of the Border as well.

They were extensively used in the annual Beet Campaign, even in steam days and in this form, right up to 1980 or so.

Number series was 11817 to 14672.

Our model has the signature corrugations inside and out, plus a plated floor as in the real thing. Count the bolts! Note the Builder's Plate and the representation of a consignment clip. The brake gear is a close representation of the real thing.

Apart from the brake gear, this should be a very easy kit to build as body and triangulated chassis will be a single casting! About fifteen parts in all.

NO transfers are supplied as the original wagons merely had a stencilled number on the left hand triangulation and it would be so small as to be unreadable. In any event, in real life it quickly disappeared under a coating of muck, oil etc!!

Pretty well everything you need, bar adhesive and paint are included. You’ll need a few tools, which should be found in any modeller’s tool kit.

I have received the first delivery of kits, with more on the way.

If you want yours quickly, I shall be on the RPSI tour on 9 - 11 May, but

please pre-order. Theoretically, I can deliver in Dublin, Cork, Killarney and Tralee!

£21.50 or €29 post paid.

Take a bow, Leslie, it looks fantastic. It's the first time I've seen the correct corrugation pattern on any model of this wagon.

Garfield

Thanks for this, but it's my modeller Michael Rayner you should applaud - I just "make it happen"!!!!

Leslie

Very nice Leslie, a fantastic looking model of the prototype and fairly priced also. The chassis really captures the look of the original frame. I hope these sell by the bucket load for you, they are a bit before my preferred era, however I am looking forward to seeing the double bodied wagons as they are well within my chosen era. If they look as good as these you will be on to a winner.

Rich,

Indeed, it would almost be shame to hide them with a load.

A lovely thing.

A rake of say 20 , empties , a few with the doors hanging down , behind a "A" class with a tatty brake van , would bring back memories of me day dreaming out the school windows and watching the beet and empties on the way into and out of Waterford in the early 70s

My Bullieid Open Wagon Kits arrived today from Provincial Wagons. While their build is at the end of my ‘Things To Do’ list I could not resist a quick peak.

IMG_1805.JPG

Looks a very simple build with the fun of converting staples into brake gear protectors, fitting brake gear and buffers to add a little edge before painting.

But I’ve resisted the temptation and went back to my current project.

My Bullieid Open Wagon Kits arrived today from Provincial Wagons. While their build is at the end of my ‘Things To Do’ list I could not resist a quick peak.

IMG_1805.JPG

Looks a very simple build with the fun of converting staples into brake gear protectors, fitting brake gear and buffers to add a little edge before painting.

But I’ve resisted the temptation and went back to my current project.

Looks good. Mine is in the post and hopefully will have it Monday.

• 1 month later...

I've just built my first one. It's a lovely little kit and it really looks the part, capturing all the Bullied details very well.

To do this though, getting the brake gear right means getting the wire dimensions just right, I will put up the measurements I have later. Shaping the staples without splitting the two is precise work, but the effect is well worth it

prov wag Bullied open (3).jpg

prov wag Bullied open (1).jpg

prov wag Bullied open (2).jpg

Edited by Weshty

The dimensions of the larger wire are 22mm and 5mm after the bend.

The short wire connecting to the top of the brake shoe is 8.5mm.

The staple in the middle is 8mm long.

These dimensions are based around the wire extending the full depth into the chassis (3.2mm deep).

I plan to use 1mm wide scrap brass off some of my etches to make the next set of brake wire protectors.

The dimensions of the larger wire are 22mm and 5mm after the bend.

The short wire connecting to the top of the brake shoe is 8.5mm.

The staple in the middle is 8mm long.

These dimensions are based around the wire extending the full depth into the chassis (3.2mm deep).

I plan to use 1mm wide scrap brass off some of my etches to make the next set of brake wire protectors.

Thanks Weshty. Can you put up some photos of brass brake wire protectors when you get it done please?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19423[/ATTACH]

No refection on your excellent building skills, but did the plastic body moulding arrive just ever so slightly warped? The one I have was but I guess it should bend back parallel square if I heat it a little bit before assembly.

No refection on your excellent building skills, but did the plastic body moulding arrive just ever so slightly warped? The one I have was but I guess it should bend back parallel square if I heat it a little bit before assembly.

Hello Noel! Depending which way your wagon has warped, you could possibly try this technique. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-16039-lswr-stone-wagon/