Upturned Head light

Rate this question

Flying Scotsman 4472

Question

14 answers to this question

interesting to note that this only applied to irish trains going north and not to NIR trains heading south.....or am i open to correction?

I think it only applied to the night time freight trains which were mostly operated by CIE/IR at the time on that line. I don't remember ever seeing NIR locos hauling freight trains across the border but that's not to say they didn't. Mostly the NIR locos operated the Enterprise.

interesting to note that this only applied to irish trains going north and not to NIR trains heading south.....or am i open to correction?

Correct Herflick-that was because it was CIE locos that operated all virtually all cross border freights at that time-the Hunslets were working Enterprise trains and later the GM 111s took over that duty-It was all either 001,B201 or 141/181 that operated freight trains with B201,004,008,046 coming off the worst and 146 being rebuilt after bomb damage.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the idea of the upturned headlight was also intended to assist in locating the Asahi Liner in case of emergency. Not sure what the crew were supposed to do if anything went wrong without telephone or eadio communication on a remote section of the Ballina Branch.

John

I have a sneaking suspicion that the idea of the upturned headlight was also intended to assist in locating the Asahi Liner in case of emergency. Not sure what the crew were supposed to do if anything went wrong without telephone or eadio communication on a remote section of the Ballina Branch.

John

There was an emergency telephone located in the old goods/Perway store at Foxford station in the event of an emergency with the Asahi liner and also there was special arrangements in place if the liner was overdue by 10 mins in a section,

It would have been quicker to get to the location of a failed Asahi liner by road than it would by helicopter particularly during the hours of darkness down the west,

There was also a telephone located at the 129 mpost near Bekan station between Ballyhaunis and Claremorris for that purpose also,

That telephone was used and was connected to the ETS signalling system and was decommissioned when the mini CTC was introduced-the yellow box is still there today on the up side of the line.

For the hard core A class modellers, the below link shows a rare pic of an A class (002) supporting the upturned headlight. There is another pic of 002 out there in circulation with the headlight. Maybe a once off for the A class but puts to bed the view that no A classes carried the up turned headlight.

002 (CIE Branding & Livery) Wellington Bridge c 1982  D Heath