Dublin Toy & Train Sale

Rate this topic

tourneo123321

The next show at the Stillorgan Park Hotel, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin will be on Sunday 7th. June 2015 from 10.30am to 3.00pm. Great venue with a massive free car park, level and easy access, superb catering throughout the day and a happy and enjoyable atmosphere. 80 tables packed with stock, old & new, by dealers from all over Ireland plus some from the UK and MASSES of model railway stock on offer. Admission is 4 euros. A few tables remain available at the time of writing; please call 0044 7966 694579 or locally in Dublin 018311158. Visit our website at http://www.chrisdyerfairs.co.uk

Edited by Garfield
Text formatting

If anyone is looking for anything special, drop us a line as we have access to some odd bits and bobs that are not always on display on our stalls

And remember we do part exchange, and we are always looking for good clean boxed stock Irish & UK outline

• 4 weeks later...

Its not an exhibition Ray, its a toy fair

Railway 00 HO N & O

Chris Dyer

Sean Ryan

Jim Downham

Walter Oberle

Des McGlynn ( & Books)

Dougal McFarlane

Terry McNally

Martin Reynolds

Jim Casey

Martin Grey

Bill Quick

Jack Dziworski

Mike Walker

Dave Lindfield

Die Cast

Des Cooney

Mick Lennon

Nigel Crofts Greene

Diarmud Byrne ( & Books)

Michael Dryhurst

AOB

Martin Hennessy

Una OGrady (Dolls)

Gerry Smith

Sean Doyle

Sandra McDowell

Eric Downey

Liam Byrne

John Edge

Gerry Cuddihy

Noel Keenan

Gerard Murray

Anne OLeary

Owen Kelly

Tony Gallagher

Joe McCluskey

As said earlier I enjoyed the show, but forgot to mention the number of stall holders showing Sterling prices for their items, & not Euro !!! I know many of the stalls were from the UK, giving that they in general would be making some profit with the Sterling / Euro exchange rate, so why they were advertising their items in Steling only I thought was a bit of a put off, just saying,

sorry still under GB rules

Care to explain the logic there? The event is taking place on Irish soil, so UK law doesn't apply. The only instance where it possibly might was if the event was held in the grounds of the British Embassy!

Edited by Garfield

I guess perhaps because it is run as an 'event' (i.e. a toy fare) it may not be considered 'retail' in terms of the act. But I agree ALL prices should be displayed in Euro. Try it the other way around in the UK and you might get short shift.

I know that, in our eyes, the hobby is not cheap but you'd think they had bigger fish to fry. Maybe no VAT would be payable in any case if the trade was below a certain value and a 'hobby'?

Whatever about the VAT, the first part of that statement still stands. Failure to display the euro sale price of goods is illegal. I doubt the traders travelling from the UK are mere hobbyists... the least they could do is show their potential customers some respect by taking the guesswork out of the equation and displaying the cost of their wares in the local currency. It's not a lot to ask, in fairness, and it's the only real downside to what is a very well organised event.*

*Edit: And I should point out, the issue is with the individual traders and not the organisers.

Edited by Garfield
See above

Failure to display the euro sale price of goods is illegal. ... the least they could do is show their potential customers some respect by taking the guesswork out of the equation and displaying the cost of their wares in the local currency. It's not a lot to ask, in fairness,

Completely agree with that!:tumbsup:

I know that, in our eyes, the hobby is not cheap but you'd think they had bigger fish to fry. Maybe no VAT would be payable in any case if the trade was below a certain value and a 'hobby'?

The 'hobby' aspect doesn't really matter, above a certain turnover threshold* any business must be VAT registered, below that level they just pay the VAT on their supplies and can't claim it back.

* currently £82,000 in UK and €75,000 in Ireland - so, around €1,500 a week turnover.

At the risk of being 'political', a lot of people from GB do tend to think that the rest of the world should be in tune with them. When I used to travel over as a foot passenger, there were always people on the bus to Heuston and Connolly that were amazed that they couldn't (officially) pay in Sterling, although the driver would always facilitate them. That would not happen over here.

lot of people from GB do tend to think that the rest of the world should be in tune with them. When I used to travel over as a foot passenger, there were always people on the bus to Heuston and Connolly that were amazed that they couldn't (officially) pay in Sterling, although the driver would always facilitate them

How much is the fare, driver?

Well, sir, that would be 80 Irish pence, sir.

How much would that be in British pounds, Patrick?

About six pounds, sir, but sure that fiver will be fine and don't worry about the difference ;)

Well guys, I'm pleased at the imput on this, & for what it's worth, would the fact that the prices, & not all, were in Sterling, because if something was say, £10.00 it might be kinda tempting, a sure it's not too bad a price, but if the same item in question is in Euro, it's about €14.00 or there about's, maybe not such a bargin !!! If it was a bargin in the first place !!!

How much is the fare, driver?

Well, sir, that would be 80 Irish pence, sir.

How much would that be in British pounds, Patrick?

About six pounds, sir, but sure that fiver will be fine and don't worry about the difference ;)

Actually, the fare was IR£2 - and he would take UK£2 - it then changed to €2.50, and he would still take UK£2. Everybody got a ticket, so I presume that it was all sorted out afterwards and DB got the due fares. I haven't used it for a few years, I drive now, and he has retired, so I don't know the current situation.

He was a good chap with an interest in merchant shipping and we often had a chat at Heuston, as that was the last stop and there was frequently only me left on by then.

Hence £14.99 looks a pound less than £15.....

Exactly!

Actually, the fare was IR£2 - and he would take UK£2 - it then changed to €2.50, and he would still take UK£2. Everybody got a ticket,

He was a good chap with an interest in merchant shipping and we often had a chat at Heuston, as that was the last stop and there was frequently only me left on by then.

It's the Irish way and good luck to him for doing it. :cheers:

I was just having the craic earlier

Edited by DiveController