Sale at Marks Models

Rate this topic

aclass007

Thanks Guys. I'm just not sure which is the most successful or preferred DIY method: "Hand paint, paint with stencil, or transfers?" especially with early black livery 141s (e.g. B141). I didn't see any transfers on SSMs web site for the black baby GMs with the 'B' prefix. The factory numbering looks like paint rather than transfers.

Decals is the way to go. You need to get a glossy area to apply the decal to. When it's in place for a day you can seal it in with your preferred varnish. Factory finished models are tampo printed. Hand painting or stenciling numbers would be a bit stone age when there are perfectly good decals available. Have a look on youtube and you will see plenty of how to do it on there.

Rich,

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys. I'm just not sure which is the most successful or preferred DIY method: "Hand paint, paint with stencil, or transfers?" especially with early black livery 141s (e.g. B141). I didn't see any transfers on SSMs web site for the black baby GMs with the 'B' prefix. The factory numbering looks like paint rather than transfers.

Noel my understanding is the manufactures normally use a system called Tampo printing using paint to apply the required/desired numbering, logo etc, thats why I believe they are easily removed using surgical spirit. Transfers are easier to apply ,and more accurate than stensil or free hand. Give Des Sullivan "Studio Scale Models" a shout he may be able to produce specifically what you require TDR

"Hand paint, paint with stencil, or transfers?"

No to hand painting - impossible. Equally with stencils. If the transfers aren't available off the shelf, simply email railtech and SSM and get a quote. Des has done a ton of custom stuff for me, and I'm sure railtech would do the same. The factory numbering is printed on, not a transfer, as with all factory produced stock.

I've more 071s than Irish Rail, have to cancel the summer holidays.:((

Don't worry about the hols, they weren't on sale.;)

I had just finished with Baby GMs so this sale hit a little sooner than I'd like. That said, I purchased an 071 fleet too and dare I say it my single MM0229 for the hell of it. Basically I got that for free! :cheers:

:trains:

Incidentally, It's past midnight over there and they sale hasn't ended. Likely they forgot to tell the computer…..

…. or they might extend it (but don't blame me if they shut it off at 9am and you didn't get that last 071):facepalm:

Edited by DiveController

Managed to control myself all month but gave in last night and ordered 077 - Not going to be home for months so won't get to see it for a while tho!!

Well, Thank God, sanity prevailed :-bd, and it'll be waiting for you when you get there (hopefully the missus too (if you have one)…. although less likely)

She's a beautiful thing (the loco, I'm sure the missus too), I got one also, and the weathered 085 …… Superb!

Love them as much as the 141s (hope Noel's not listening :D)

. . . Superb! Love them as much as the 141s (hope Noel's not listening :D)

I agree they are superb. They look every bit as good as the 141s. I have a few 071s. Its purely a personal taste reason that I 'slightly' prefer the shorter prototype 141/181 for nostalgia reasons and the era I travelled most on rails. The MM/Bachmann 141/181s do have drive systems that are quieter and a little smoother at crawl speeds.

No Kevin, for me the 071s are right up there both as prototypes and excellent models. Now 201s, that's another matter down our way :) Again purely a personal experience, I just never took to the 1995 GM 201s possibly because the prototypes looked a rather simple bland shape compared to their distinctive ancestors with their north american walkways, and the awful livery at introduction. No reflection on the model, just not the era etched in my memory (1960s-1970s). Also find 201s look rather long for typical layout spaces. Luckily for those who love the 80s, 90s, and 00s era, MM have a great portfolio of model locos and liveries. Hence I have a single example of an MM 201 in Green&Silver livery.

Edited by Noel

Well' date=' Thank God, sanity prevailed :-bd, and it'll be waiting for you when you get there (hopefully the missus too (if you have one)…. although less likely) She's a beautiful thing (the loco, I'm sure the missus too), I got one also, and the weathered 085 …… Superb! Love them as much as the 141s (hope Noel's not listening :D)[/quote']

Haha yes I tried my best to restrain myself all month. Had a load of Mk2s in the cart too but didn't pull the trigger on those.

On a good note it got me working on all the wagon kits I've got stashed away!!

The missus is here with me, and has been having a mild heart attack every time I walk in with a new box - there's a dozen 1/48 jets waiting to be built in the cupboard too lol

I have a good few 141's, I have to say I prefer the look of the 071s. 077 will join sisters 078, 071 (old freight livery) and 7071 and 112. Hopefully I'll hve a layout someday to run them on!!

I agree they are superb. They look every bit as good as the 141s. I have a few 071s. Its purely a personal taste reason that I 'slightly' prefer the shorter prototype 141/181 for nostalgia reasons and the era I travelled most on rails. The MM/Bachmann 141/181s do have drive systems that are quieter and a little smoother at crawl speeds.

No Kevin, for me the 071s are right up there both as prototypes and excellent models. Now 201s, that's another matter down our way :) Again purely a personal experience, I just never took to the 1995 GM 201s possibly because the prototypes looked a rather simple bland shape compared to their distinctive ancestors with their north american walkways, and the awful livery at introduction. No reflection on the model, just not the era etched in my memory (1960s-1970s). Also find 201s look rather long for typical layout spaces. Luckily for those who love the 80s, 90s, and 00s era, MM have a great portfolio of model locos and liveries. Hence I have a single example of an MM 201 in Green&Silver livery.

Hi Noel,

Yes, I agree with all of this. My liking for the 071s has gone up since the sale and I got several. The 201s are long and I got a single one again in the same livery as yours R Maine (also for nostalgic reasons). Very happy with my fleet right now:-bd

Had a load of Mk2s in the cart too but didn't pull the trigger on those.

On a good note it got me working on all the wagon kits I've got stashed away!!

077 will join sisters 078, 071 (old freight livery) and 7071 and 112

Yes, I had the cart full of Mk2 STs and deleted them. Got a single one for conversion only. Regarding delivery, Marks pretty much charges a fixed rate regardless of what in your cart. They'll refund EU VAT (divide your purchase price by 1.23) after the purchase which would offset your shipping costs to a non-EU location if you email them.

Yes' date=' I had the cart full of Mk2 STs and deleted them. Got a single one for conversion only. Regarding delivery, Marks pretty much charges a fixed rate regardless of what in your cart. They'll refund EU VAT (divide your purchase price by 1.23) after the purchase which would offset your shipping costs to a non-EU location if you email them.[/quote']

I didn't think they did the Vat deduction as it wasn't showing in the cart. Will contact them now and see if they can amend the order. cheers!

Splurged out on an 071 & a pair of Cravens for my Matariki (Maori New Year) present.

The prices were very competitive and the Irish VAT refund nicely covered shipping, costs.

Might have to go back to Mark's for some 11pin decoders and other items.

Well done

Yep, Got 2 201s myself, 230 and 209. There is still a fair bit left on the shelves in Cork, I did mention would it be extended to Wayne in the Shop but thats not going to happen as the prices were taken down Saturday PM. Heres hoping it will be back at some stage as I would still Fancy an enterprise with Full Yellow Faces but not a current prices there just too high for my pocket right now and really how many do I need.

Marks seem to have a lot of Irish stock left, the only things out of stock per their web site are the "MURPHY MODELS 233 IE RIVER CLARE", the 071 decoder, the large tin of "PHOENIX CIE GOLD BROWN DULL 50ML" and the small "PHOENIX CLASS 201 ORANGE DULL". May need a longer sale with bigger deductions to shift that lot.

I'm pretty sure they must have shifted a lot of stock all the same. Doubt that greater reductions will happen

…. or they might extend it (but don't blame me if they shut it off at 9am and you didn't get that last 071):facepalm:

I guess you got 24 hours grace period if you had forgotten it was ending. The sale is finished online. Usual prices are back:(

Edited by DiveController

According to Marks web site there's still a lot of stuff to shift, & yes I to would love to see that sale continuing, at least for another while, I'd love at least one of these, 7071 or 7078, well to tell the truth the two of them,

Should've pulled the trigger when you had the chance. 'He who hesitates is lost...' a wise man once said.

In theory the more you spent, the more you saved, that's how I'm justifying it anyway:dig:. I'm going to cry when I get my credit card bill, can safely say this will be the first in a long time when I won't be able to clear it this month.