Park side wagons

Rate this topic

Dargan

Friends, I have read on these forums that a couple of the OO Parkside vans can be reasonably adapted to look like those used on CIE.

Now I'm aware that the solebars need to be placed further apart ( I plan to build them to 21mm gauge ) and that the buffer spacing is slightly wider than normal but what about the body itself ? Is that wider than its UK counterpart ?

Thanks for any info.

Dargan.

The GNR 16t bagged cement vans were very close in design the BR standard ply sided 12t van and the Parkside kit. Approx 140 of these vans were assembled by the GNRB in the 1950s all of which went to CIE following the break up of the GNR in 1958

The main difference from the BR vans was the brake gear and the absence of ventilators in the ends. The Irish vans only had handbrakes with independent either side hand brakes similar to oil tank wagons and mineral wagons rather than the Morton clutch and vacuum brake arrangement on standard BR wagons and vans.

Non-Ventilated Van

GNR bagged cement van

The CIE standard H van was developed from a GSWR design and quite different in outline and design of underframe to the BR vans.

Bodywork the H vans mainly plywood sides and ends, different strapping detail and a flatter roof profile than the BR vans. Underframe Inchacore pattern buffers, either a standard Irish Railway Clearing House underframe or Bulleid triangulated underframe with hand brakes with one brake shoe per side, the fitted version had an 8 shoe clasp brake arrangement, the handbrake operated by a handwheel rather than lever.

Unfitted Vans 3

GSWR & CIE standard H van

26000 series pallet vans.

Similar in design to the earlier BR Palvan but with pressed metal ends and sliding doors, unfitted on Bulleid Triangulated underframes.

These wagons appear to have been assembled using components imported from the UK. The body is quite different in detail to the excellent Parkside kit, the CIE vans had at least 3 different designs of end stamping.

Pallet and Goods Vans

H van and Pallet van

Some people have used the Parkside BR van as a basis for building/kitbashng the Irish vans but involves a lot of work.

Dargan, I did one each of the Pallet van, H van & GNR bagged cement van. When I get home next week I"ll post some photos.

GNR one is easy.

H van & pallet van require a lot more work. I did mine together and combined parts from one into the other.

Mike

The Hornby / Wrenn Banana van was / is very close to the GNR 1954 Bagged Cement vans, even in the brake gear, I would submit - not a lot of use to 21mm men, I accept. I used the Dapol one for my Cement Van, which I sold to the tune of 450 pieces, in three guises - by far the best selling wagon I have produced. It was a very unusual Irish van, being of much higher capacity than the normal 7, 9, or 10 ton jobs, which invariably were squatter than the British counterparts.

Assuming that by an "H" Van, you mean the CIE-built 17222 - 19754 series of 12 ton vans, on Bulleid's triangulated chassis; then be patient - my kit will appear later in the year - it has essentially the same chassis as my recent corrugated sided open wagon.

Leslie

(Provincial wagons)

For the 21mm men, I will happily sell it (as I do with the open) without the chassis, so that you can fit your own W irons, OR you can split the chassis and move it out a bit?

The New Irish Irish Lines archive http://newirishlines.org/ is a good place to search for drawings and photos of CIE wagons Vol 3 May & Nov 2002 has drawings of the standard covered van and Bulleid triangulated underframe by David Malone who published a number of pioneering articles on modelling Irish Railways to Scalefour standards in the 80s & 90s including Practical Model Railways and Model Railway Digest

Edited by Mayner