Happy Memorial Day

Rate this topic

DiveController

For the families of Irish-American military personnel and the many Irish soldiers that gave their lives serving with the United Nations over the decades, we respectfully wish you a happy Memorial Day.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was in Tipperary yesterday, expressing similar sentiments - http://www.un.org/sg/statements/index.asp?nid=8664 .

While I echo DC's sentiments, but having served with the United Nations I have for a long time questioned the practicality of a United Nations military force that stands by & let's warmongers & the like do as they please, & in particular the Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon who pontificates with phrases like, "this is unacceptable " get me a bucket, Rwanda, & Serbia springs to mind,

While I echo DC's sentiments, but having served with the United Nations I have for a long time questioned the practicality of a United Nations military force that stands by & let's warmongers & the like do as they please, & in particular the Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon who pontificates with phrases like, "this is unacceptable " get me a bucket, Rwanda, & Serbia springs to mind,

the trouble is of course , there are " our " warmongers and " their " warmongers and the warmongers tend to jump back and forth between the two sides, so that leaves the UN in a difficult position. Much simpler if the world was as John Rambo saw it, but sadly its a lot more complex that that .

I believe 21 september is the UN day of peace, where its remembers its military , I believe the Irish army uses that day for that. Memorial Day is solely a US day of remembrance for its own troops.

and thats not to take anything anyway from it either

Junction M is correct. Memorial is primarily a US holiday. I included the Irish troops as a mark of respect given the membership of the site.

My original post is intended as a salute of solidarity with these families. I propose we do not discuss the working of the UN on the thread (unless they have a private locomotive fleet of course!). Let's stay on topic. Thanks for your contributions.

Happy Memorial Day to the membership here in the US.

the trouble is of course , there are " our " warmongers and " their " warmongers and the warmongers tend to jump back and forth between the two sides, so that leaves the UN in a difficult position. Much simpler if the world was as John Rambo saw it, but sadly its a lot more complex that that .

I respectfully ask that we do not do such a discussion here. Thanks.