Class D Shunter

Rate this topic

Alan564017

Hi, thought I'd post theseIMG_0032.jpg

I have a class 08 hornby shunter, someone posted shots of what SF done with them a while back and I decided to have a go myself. Its far from perfect so if you find it offensive look away!! I've never done anything remotely like this before (it shows), but im happy with the result. The orange on the CIE roundal disappeared , might have something to do with the paint.

IMG_0033.jpg

I always thought an "08" made a very good representation. I take it you'd also be painting the connecting rod and adding white flashes on ends?

Even the orange paint on the roundel disappearing looks like weathering!

Looks well indeed. Shows what can be done quite readily with proprietary models.

Well done Allen, you have done a very good job on that, & as jhb said the absence of the CIE rounded looks like weathering, even so I wouldn't worry about that as if you want to put the CIE roundel on it's not that hard I'm sure, I have an 08 DCC fitted from the Hornby mixed freight set & I'm hoping to do the same some day, when I get into my shed, btw what paint did you use, thanks

Edited by burnthebox

thanks for the comments guys. I'll try something with the connection rods, maybe black felt tip might work as I was afraid to prise them off. As for the paint, straight from the can!!, a Halfords plastic grey undercoat (x2), it went on a bit heavy and 'blobbled' in places, got me worried that it might fill in some of the detail. The final 2 black coats was from my teenage sons grafitti stock (product name acrylic gold I think), the spray was much finer than the Halfords and it went on very evenly. What I forgot to photograph was the back end, the grey undercoat did a great job of hiding the wasp strips (remember the SF photos?).

Looks great Alan. While the 08 and the D Class might not be 100% identical in real life you have produced a model that is a fine representation of the latter. As burnthebox says the problem with the roundal looks like weathering and that you are happy with the end result is, after all, the most important thing. Keep up the good work and more pics please!

Ten out of ten for taking the bull by the horns and having a go Alan. It has turned out well, but those coupling rods really need toning down. By the way, don't try prising off the coupling rods, they are held on by small hex headed screws which are easy enough to unscrew, if you have the right tool.

Hi Alan, have a look at this, might be worth it for the price to play around with for practice purposes, & don't forget more pics,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/131509633727?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

Nice little model & price, bad shipping. I'd ship using parcel motel. It would cost you STG4 and about Eur4 more to Kilkenny

Yes, good job Alan, for an easy win.

I bought a WRENN 08 years ago for similar treatment, but then turned my back on these diesel things when I got my SSM steam locos built - so I sold it for a minor fortune on eBay - over sixty quid, when I'd paid a fiver or so in a Beatties sale. Who needs the Stock Market?

Leslie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Achill, Many thanks for the help, and the detail of your help. and not for the first time.

As far as transfers go, I have seen pale green flying snails, (SSM) I must check for linings and numbers.

But the gold outline will be a harder ask.

The gold lining on the "snails", Rialto, was quite thin, and omission of it wouldn't be a great disaster! Ideally, if transfers were available with and without it...... after 1955/6, when the lighter green carriage livery came in, they were light green unlined.

Steam engines of the all-grey persuasion, plus the few in green, and the even fewer in black in the very late 50s, always had lined light green "snails". Beware of yellow imitations; these are doubtless the result of (a) the incorrect livery of 461 when first restored in 1990 (it was painted black, and with a yellow "snail", neither of which were right), and (b) the fact that on grey or black engines, the cabside numerals WERE pale yellow!

Luckily, a green D class is more straightforward - best of luck with it.

There is a colour photograph by John Edgington of a green liveried D303 on page 87 of Irish Railways in Colour from Steam to Diesel 1955-67 Tom Ferris 1992 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Railways-Colour-Diesel-1955-67/dp/1857800001

The photo taken in 1956 is a panorama of the Holyhead Yard with D303 shunting some wagons, the loco is quite clean and seems to be in the late 1950s light green with eau-del nil lettering, no snail or eau-de-nil lining below the gutter line, the chassis and outside cranks are in shadow but steps and sandboxes are in green.

John Edgington's photos are worth looking out for as they seem to have been mainly in colour and as he seems to have recorded the wider rail scene rather than just locos.

The editor of New Irish Lines may have the photographers contact details.

I have John Edgington's address - he doesn't do email but will respond to postal enquiries.

The pic shown above is the earlier dark green. As Mayner says, the post-1955 lighter green livery (they were one of the extremely few classes to carry both)) is as shown in that photo in the book.