Renumbering a Weathered 071 Class Locomotive

Rate this question

DiveController

Question

Would it be possible to renumber a pre-weathered locomotive realistically or is that likely to leave me with a pristine shiny number in several positions on the loco amidst the otherwise excellent factory weathering, like some kid had wiped the dirt off……..

Or…..

Would it be better to get an unweathered loco, renumber it (doesn't seem too hard based on the good advices given on other threads) and then weather that (which I have no idea how to do effectively without screwing up a perfectly good model). I would need to get someone to do that (at least at this point in time, maybe on a visit to the home country) but if the former would look poorly, then maybe it might be worth the extra effort?

Edited by DiveController
Typo

11 answers to this question

Any advice? ….. (sale at Marks Models finishing today)

Hi Kevin

The answers I got here may be of help. 071 or 141 the same issues.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4655-How-to-renumber-a-black-MM-141

I haven't done it yet myself but am about to find out, but I guess doing a weathered loco or indeed weathering a loco after renumbering may indeed help hide a multitude of sins post renumbering. At least that's what I'm hoping for when I renumber some 141s and subsequently weather them.

Noel

Edited by Noel

get an unweathered loco and work with that, GEt some White Spirits, A cotton bud and wipe the number away, Apply the new numbers, Seal with a non Oil based Varnish like Tamiya so such as SSM Decals don't like oil based stuff, I seal mine my Johnsons clear, Then paint over a Satin Varnish and if you have done it well it will be hard to tell the Difference.

White Spirits

A friend of mine is active in market research for the perfume industry - I told her that I usually wear White Spirit by B&Q - it sounds like such a "perfume-type" name - well, it turns out that it (almost) really exists.

http://www.perfumemaster.org/Galerie-Noemie/White-Spirit-Womens-Perfume/Pictures

There are also perfumes called Garda and Copper....

I'd say starting with an unweathered model would be best. Renumber it, and then weather it. Done right, the weathering would look more realistic than the weathering on the MM models, and you would also have control over how much weathering you wanted. As you know, there are a number of people on this site who can do this work to a high standard. If you wished to use one of them to weather the loco, Marks Models post to Ireland free of charge, so you could arrange with Marks to have the loco posted directly to whoever was going to do the work. I'd say if you paid for the loco before the end of the sale tonight, Marks would probably wait a few days before posting it, giving you time to sort everything out....

I'd say starting with an unweathered model would be best. Renumber it, and then weather it. Done right, the weathering would look more realistic than the weathering on the MM models, and you would also have control over how much weathering you wanted. As you know, there are a number of people on this site who can do this work to a high standard. If you wished to use one of them to weather the loco, Marks Models post to Ireland free of charge, so you could arrange with Marks to have the loco posted directly to whoever was going to do the work. I'd say if you paid for the loco before the end of the sale tonight, Marks would probably wait a few days before posting it, giving you time to sort everything out....

Thanks for the replies. Kinda had a feel for they possibly being better in the long run, although I have to say that the weathering on the 071s is not bad (imho). I have 073 and 085 and like both a lot. The weathering on th 141s while I love them is lees realistic, more like a quick spray of all over grey. Thats a great idea about Marks!

I wouldn't worry too much if the Loco was already weathered Kev as IE maintenance usually gave the Loco numbers at the side & front a quick rub of a brush while leaving the rest of the body dirty so if you have a clean 'patch' where your new numbers are it will still look realistic :-bd

Thanks for all the advice , folks. Very much appreciated!! Another loco purchased

[ATTACH]19153[/ATTACH]

I noticed that the picture of 185 does not have the 7 grilles/vents on the front of the loco that were a characteristic of 181 loco (versus 141s).

Were these removed at some point between delivery and their life during the IE period?

Looked online and saw others without them so your photo is not an oddity it would seem.

Anybody know what they were for?