South Wexford Line

Rate this topic

The weed spray train is scheduled to travel over the South Wexford line on Thursday week, 25 June. It is booked to depart Waterford at 09:00, arriving at signal WD361 at 09:15. It will enter the Absolute Possessions (Waterford-Wellingtonbridge and Wellingtonbridge-Rosslare Strand) at about 09:20. After exiting the possessions at Rosslare Strand it is due to depart for Rosslare Europort at 13:20. It will return to Wexford at 14:00.

Edited by josefstadt

IEs agreement with the NTA for 'mothballing' involves a programme of inspection and maintenance to ensure the Barrow Viaduct does not become a hazard to shipping, managing the liability risk for IE (securely fenced, bridges and level crossings not a hazard to the users) and weed killing to keep the line clear for ail traffic until the track became unsafe for rail traffic.

The agreement does not appear include sleeper or level crossing barrier replacement and IEs proposal discussed using tie bars to maintain the gauge until sleeper decay became a significant problem.

I suppose the message is to get out there and record any train or inspection movements over the line while there is still a chance, whats happening on the South Wexford is not radically different to Mullingar-Athlone in the early 1990s by 1996 the line was unfit for rail traffic.

Ipi thought the track isn't safe all the Way through, wasn't some stolen

Posted by Mark Gleeson on the Rail Users Ireland forum on 10 February 2011: 'It was surplus track dumped at Campile that went missing. The rail line remains intact'. The theft happened over the weekend of 22-25 January.

I have more then a passing interest in this line , my great grandfather was the site engineer in charge of the building of the barrow railway bridge !

He worked for sir William arrol & co. The builders

He also oversaw the construction of the Arrol gantry in H&w in Belfast which was used in the construction of the titanic and her sisters

My grandmother clearly remembers living in Belfast for over a year ( she didn't like the place ! )

Edited by Junctionmad

IEs agreement with the NTA for 'mothballing' involves a programme of inspection and maintenance to ensure the Barrow Viaduct does not become a hazard to shipping, managing the liability risk for IE (securely fenced, bridges and level crossings not a hazard to the users) and weed killing to keep the line clear for ail traffic until the track became unsafe for rail traffic.

The agreement does not appear include sleeper or level crossing barrier replacement and IEs proposal discussed using tie bars to maintain the gauge until sleeper decay became a significant problem.

I suppose the message is to get out there and record any train or inspection movements over the line while there is still a chance, whats happening on the South Wexford is not radically different to Mullingar-Athlone in the early 1990s by 1996 the line was unfit for rail traffic.

No need to look that far away for an example of the "care & maintenence" program the neighbouring New Ross & Ballinacourty lines when t the same way, annual weedspray until theres a problem and then abandonment till the walky groups want a new place to walk their dogs.

Edited by Riversuir226

No need to look that far away for an example of the "care & maintenence" program the neighbouring New Ross & Ballinacourty lines when t the same way, annual weedspray until theres a problem and then abandonment till the walky groups want a new place to walk their dogs.

The issue of mothballed lines is really a Government policy issue than anything else. The disused lines are a liability risk & draw resources away from the operating railway, its cheaper than paying IE to maintain the lines or heaven's forbid opening track maintenance and railway operation up to competitive tender.

The mothballing of the South Wexford and Mullingar-Mullingar was quite different to lines like New Ross and Ballinacouty which were converted to engineers sidings only accessible for engineers traffic, usually the weed killer and track -laying trains to swap out good for worn track panels to keep secondary main lines open.

There's a greenway 'mania' right, fair enough some alignments will never ever open again either as a commercial or a preserved line (case in point, the North Kerry GST started out as a preservation group until road improvements chopped it in two) so it would be preferable that a disused line that has no hope of opening again have some afterlife and be of some use to the community rather than having big trees growing up through it. Having said that some of these groups seem to be losing the run of themselves.

There's a greenway 'mania' right, fair enough some alignments will never ever open again either as a commercial or a preserved line (case in point, the North Kerry GST started out as a preservation group until road improvements chopped it in two) so it would be preferable that a disused line that has no hope of opening again have some afterlife and be of some use to the community rather than having big trees growing up through it. Having said that some of these groups seem to be losing the run of themselves.

Explain Youghal then

Youghal to Midleton line is been converted to a greenway even though there was a possible heritage line and it was stopped due to the possibilty of the line been reopened? Then all of a sudden i received an email that a greenway was going ahead?

I don't believe that a new heritage line, at least a standard gauge one, is a viable proposition in this country for a whole shopping list of reasons that have been done to death on other threads.

I don't know how much business can be squeezed out of an extension from Midleton to Youghal, the greenway plannning seems to have the blessing of IE from what I can see.