Ballyglunin Station

Rate this topic

roxyguy

Can you imagine the cost of this via helicopter? c.€1000/hour. The flexibility and the quality is top class.

I'd love to see driver view replications of some of the more scenic lines (NCW-Barna, Killorglin-Caherciveen, Cork-Halfway).

Cue an exploration series of some closed lines?

Landowner permission would of course be a major issue. None of us would want a drone over our private land with unlimited access. BallyG station is different as it's in public ownership (CIE Property Board or IE, still, presumably?)

Landowner permission would of course be a major issue. None of us would want a drone over our private land with unlimited access. BallyG station is different as it's in public ownership (CIE Property Board or IE, still, presumably?)

Actually no more then you do not have rights to minerals under your land , you have no rights to control anything above your land either. Hence landowner permission is actually not required.

However a drone with a camera is regarded as a remotely piloted plane and comes under the control of the irish aviation authority and hence must be licensed and it's places of operation controlled. It's worth noting that a drone is not a model aircraft and does not come under the insurance cover of the model aeronautical society of iteland

I would suggest that drones never be flown over populated areas as a result

A small drone ( under 20kg) operated within 500m of the operator and not over 'congested' populated areas or near airports doesn't need any licenses.

Yes but you are not allowed " first person viewing " , it must be flown from the ground using normal eyesight

See https://www.iaa.ie/media/DRONESQuestionsandAnswersFinal1.PDF for a FAQ

Ps I wasn't specifically talking about the drone mentioned in this thread, more a general situation

.. BallyG station is different as it's in public ownership (CIE Property Board or IE, still, presumably?)

As is the Barna Gap :) Despite the squatting attempts of some boyos, still CIE property.

I don't think a lawyer would get to far with "public ownership" as a defence for flying a drone over an airport, military base, prison, or other publically owned property without permission.

The railways may be in public ownership, but entering CIE/IE property without permission and flying a drone within the railway loading gauge is likely to be trespassing.

Maybe the lawmakers think a drone is some sort of bee?

There has been some impressive footage of urban areas that fell foul of the aviation authority, a strongly worded letter was the only outcome.

Most regulators are in a similar position but catching up with the technology, a local man received a written warning for flying at night into restricted airspace.

Irish Aviation Authority guidance and regulation governing un-manned flight is similar to new Zealand //www.iaa.ie/media/DRONESQuestionsandAnswersFinal1.pdf .

It looks like pilots for commercial drone use will be subject to licensing.

There is now some lovely drone footage of that train passing through oranmore. Think I'll leave off the forum so as to avoid a legal debate about something that is purely for personal enjoyment/entertainment.

Put it up if you don't mind. No moderator has advised against. It seems you have forum support and in the absence of any illegality now I think you're good to go. We're into personal enjoyment too!

I don't think a lawyer would get too far with "public ownership" as a defence for flying a drone over an airport, military base, prison, or other publically owned property without permission.

The railways may be in public ownership, but entering CIE/IE property without permission and flying a drone within the railway loading gauge is likely to be trespassing.

The IAA look to have published a very practical Q&A on drones that clarifies a lot compared to the last time I looked at this.

https://www.iaa.ie/media/DRONESQuestionsandAnswersFinal1.pdf

If it weights between less than 20kg, and footage is not for commercial reasons, no licence needed. Otherwise, training course and 12 month licence.

Not within 5 miles of an aerodrome

Must be flown by line of sight, not by POV, and not higher than 120m

Not over built up areas

Not flown within 50m of people who are not being managed by the operator

Drones less than 1.5kg have more relaxed restrictions. See IAA SI25/1000

https://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=107&a=406&pp=253&nn=488&lID=283

Regarding private property /privacy, the IAA have no comment on this.

What about where you fly 3' parallel to a closed line, with each landowners permission? Pretty much in the clear there, surely?

The onus is very much on the authorities here and they are still 5 years behind in implementation.

Edited by Weshty
IAA Q&A clarification

Excellent videos, beautifully shot. The age of the drone is here. I shot some video on my toy quadcopter at the Wexford show I bought to learn how to fly them, I'm now working on building a large octacopter capable of carrying a DSLR. Now with 4k resolution go pro cameras the possibilities are endless!