Ballyglunin Station

Rate this topic

roxyguy

Pretty sure most venues would have kittens at the mere notion of a remotely controlled thing flying over patrons' heads however 'safe' it might appear to be.

Agree you would never get permission nor insurance cover. However the video clips shown here of Ballyglunin taken in a remote unpopulated scene had minimal risks because it wasn't flying over people nor active roads. In such 'minimal risk' circumstances it may be more practical to seek forgiveness afterwards than seek permission beforehand!

No, no I mean like this [video=youtube_share;t99N223fqCo]
you could also livestream it, so you can be sitting at home and checking out what's happening at an exhibition in another country :) in real time.

Live stream is possible, most of the high end drones have that facility.

Pretty sure most venues would have kittens at the mere notion of a remotely controlled thing flying over patrons' heads however 'safe' it might appear to be.

Agree you would never get permission nor insurance cover. However the video clips shown here of Ballyglunin taken in a remote unpopulated scene had minimal risks because it wasn't flying over people nor active roads. In such 'minimal risk' circumstances it may be more practical to seek forgiveness afterwards than seek permission beforehand!

I asked for permission to fly my one at the Wexford show and it wasn't a problem. Mind you I was very careful and didn't fly directly over the public.

Most drones are fitted with GPS, they will automatically fly back to their starting position if they run low on battery or go out of range from the transmitter. They can be programmed to stay above a minimum altitude. They are very safe in the right hands, and that's the problem it's the idiots that don't know how to use them properly will get them banned and restricted.

Amazon are currently running trials for using drones for delivery, they hope in a few years if you live close enough to a distribution depot your order will be delivered by drone in 30 mins.

Can't see them delivering 40" TV's that soon though :P

Amazon are currently running trials for using drones for delivery, they hope in a few years if you live close enough to a distribution depot your order will be delivered by drone in 30 mins.

The authorities in Dubai are planning to introduce drones to deliver official documents even sooner than that...

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/drone-deliveries-get-off-the-ground-in-dubai/

I asked for permission to fly my one at the Wexford show and it wasn't a problem. Mind you I was very careful and didn't fly directly over the public.

Most drones are fitted with GPS, they will automatically fly back to their starting position if they run low on battery or go out of range from the transmitter. They can be programmed to stay above a minimum altitude. They are very safe in the right hands, and that's the problem it's the idiots that don't know how to use them properly will get them banned and restricted.

Can't see them delivering 40" TV's that soon though :P

As a drone owner ( quadcopter -hobbyking custom build, taranis radio with telemetry ) I think it's certainly madness for any " hobby" drone to fly over people's heads. GPS return to home is quite limited and any number of components in a quadcopter can fail bringing the device uncontrollably to the ground. Quad copters and drone flyers are already ostracised from enough flying clubs , without hobby drones crashing into crowds.

As a drone owner ( quadcopter -hobbyking custom build, taranis radio with telemetry ) I think it's certainly madness for any " hobby" drone to fly over people's heads. GPS return to home is quite limited and any number of components in a quadcopter can fail bringing the device uncontrollably to the ground. Quad copters and drone flyers are already ostracised from enough flying clubs , without hobby drones crashing into crowds.

GPS is not limited at all unless your using a cheap flight controller. The latest DJI naza flight controller with GPS is very advanced and reliable.They are what make drones so much more reliable and safe, take the new DJI Inspire 1, used in concerts flying over the crowd only danger was that idot singer Enrique Iglesias reaching up to grab the camera and nearly lost his fingers!

What kind of set up are you running, flight controller, ESC's motors?

GPS is not limited at all unless your using a cheap flight controller . . .

GPS is an area I have some background since the late 90s. Consumer grade GPS sensors are not infallible and are prone to positional errors. There have been huge improvements in the past 8 years with things such as smoothing algorithms that filter out errors, and especially in the area of augmented signals, but consumer grade GPS averages 3-6m accuracy only 95% of the time, and are prone to local interference. See the reports from Yachtsmen in various parts of the world where there have been temporary disruption of signals from local sources of interference. It is rather inexpensive to locally jam a GPS signal. Newer top end quadcopters have some decent algorithms that more heavily weigh the feedback from gyros to augment the decisions based on GPS. A QC has a lot of mechanical moving parts and electronics on something that is not feather light. You only need 1% failure if flying over something more than vegetation to risk damage to 3rd party property or persons.

GPS is not limited at all unless your using a cheap flight controller. The latest DJI naza flight controller with GPS is very advanced and reliable.They are what make drones so much more reliable and safe, take the new DJI Inspire 1, used in concerts flying over the crowd only danger was that idot singer Enrique Iglesias reaching up to grab the camera and nearly lost his fingers!

What kind of set up are you running, flight controller, ESC's motors?

various flight controllers, KK2.0, multiwii, and arducopter , ublok gps, various Turnigy motors and a variety of ESCs most with SimonK software

Off railway topic I know, but I was vaguely interested in getting a drone... looks like an interesting hobby. Anyone know the best place to go for advice / start-up?

The best way is to start with a small cheap quadcopter, the Syma X5C-1 is the best selling starter it also comes with a camera which is ok quality. They are very tough and I have crashed mine quite a few times. But at €50 versus my next one which is costing well over a grand they are worth it.

There are a few groups on Facebook here's the links.

Syma

https://www.facebook.com/groups/878599735506956/

My first drone beginners group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/630018920430861/

Drones

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DronesCommunity/

http://www.myfirstdrone.com

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
From 21st of December this year, all drones weighing more than 1kg must be registered with the IAA.

https://www.iaa.ie/Remote-Piloted-Aircraft-Systems

NOTE, That the IAA continues to fudge the distinction between RPAS, drones and model aircraft

A quadcopter without first person viewing , is NOT a RPAS , nor is it a drone if only used for recreational flying , hence its a model aircraft and that does not require registering in my view ( and I have written to the IAA twice and both times they fudge the issue )

To address the issue, the Iaa need to seek an amendment of the Rockets and Small aircraft act, in the absence of that, they have no legislative basis to seek registration of recreational drones , not using first person viewing