4mm scale 'WT' rebuild from a Fowler 2-6-4T

Rate this topic

Richard EH

Hi all,

A few more photos of progress of the WT. I've yet to order the front steps above the buffer beam, but have finished the detail for the rear of the bunker which has a nice 1940's utilitarian feel to it. The bunker steps are made from some L shaped plasticard and with a few more resin rivets added I think they look the part.

I've also added the cab steps and injectors below the cab which give it all a nice detailed feel.

I've been using it as a test rig for a sound chip for another project, and am tempted to add a suitable sound chip to the engine. Does anyone know of a suitable sound chip which would be suitable? No doubt a fowler tank sound file (if available) would work - but what tone would be correct for the whistle?!

Cheers for now.

Richard.

WT 21.JPG

WT22.jpg

WT23.JPG

Hi all,

I've been using it as a test rig for a sound chip for another project, and am tempted to add a suitable sound chip to the engine. Does anyone know of a suitable sound chip which would be suitable? No doubt a fowler tank sound file (if available) would work - but what tone would be correct for the whistle?!

Richard, that is some stunning detail - well done.

As for a sound chip - Coastal DCC put their BR 4MT sounds in mine - it sounds quite nice, but not quite the thing. Mind you, I have yet to conquer the subtleties of setting the loco sound for "working hard" - it rolls around just clanking at a scale 60 / 70mph with eight on!

Leslie

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A few photos of more progress with No.4 now that' I've a coat of black paint on it, and a suggestion of red on the connecting rod and valve gear. Think she's it's looking the part now!!

Does anyone have an idea of a good source of lining for these? It looks like straw and another colour on some of the photos I've seen, if it was ever straw on it's own, that'll make life a lot simpler....!

Kind Regards

Richard,

WT 31.jpg

WT 32.jpg

WT 33.jpg

Wow,excellent Richard!

Livery wise, I presume you are talking about UTA black? It had an attractive straw and red lining, that went very well with the black. Here it is on a W class mogul, fresh out of York road, from an overhaul..[ATTACH=CONFIG]23219[/ATTACH]

Hi, yes, that's it - does anyone do it in 4mm do we know?

Now it's painted the black covers a lot of the detail, I'll try and get it out in some natural light soon....!

Kind Regards

Richard.

Thanks all, I hadn't realised SSM did the transfers for No.4 - remiss of me not to have looked as SSM illustrate their transfers with my model of 201! oh well....!!

and I see Railtec do some transfers for the UTA Crests as well, so all should be sorted, I hope!

Kind Regards

Richard.

The Railtec UTA transfers are a little overscale, but better than nothing! You could always put an NIR logo on it, like 2 or 3 of them had, including No. 4 on ONE side only!

I was tempted by that - like the look of that in 'Parting Shot' - but it's about 10 years too late for my era - most of my steam era stuff is pure GN, so 1956 - 57 is ideal for me!

Kind Regards

Richard.

Ah! So it's the "red hand" device, then..... A post-1963 crest transfer might be a useful thing for modellers too....

I saw somewhere a model someone had made which in prototypical form had a crest or logo of some sort for which no commercial transfer was available. I can't remember what the model was, or where I saw it, but the modeller simply photographed the real thing on a preserved vehicle and scaled a print down to the scale correct size, printed it on very flimsy paper, cut it out, and stuck it on. It looked very convincing.

>The Railtec UTA transfers are a little overscale, but better than nothing!

Please could you elaborate further with some specifics? Have sold a considerable number over the years and I don't recall the design having changed, so the comment prompts the question of whether there was more than one size used back in the day. If another pack needs making then we'll do it. The pack contains the red hand roundels, coat of arms and numerals. If you have a photo of a model that you've made using these against a photo of the real thing then I can review.

4mm-5660: UTA pack

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1101

Edited by railtec-transfers

The Railtec UTA transfers are a little overscale, but better than nothing!

Some time ago, I purchased a sheet of UTA decals, only to find that the roundels were too large at 5.8mm diameter. I corresponded with Steve at Railtec, and he resized the roundels to 4.7mm, which, according to the information I have, is the correct size in 4mm scale, namely 14 inches diameter.

The attached picture shows the difference in sizes. That on the left is the original size, and that on the right is the smaller version.

UTA Decals 001.jpg

Edited by Dhu Varren

I presume the second sheet is now 'standard issue', certainly looks better to my eye and reduced redness far better. Prior to re-scaling and colour adjustment, others would have seen the original sheet of transfers used, hence the comments above. It just makes sense to me to give them a new code and update one's website. 2 cents...