121 Class

Rate this topic

StevieB

With no firm commitment yet from Murphy Models as to a class 121 Bo-Bo(or am I mistaken?) my thoughts turned to a short term alternative.

Now on Shapeways website there are bodies for both N and 3mm scales, so you have to wonder if it would be economical to get a 4mm version produced to go on a suitable chassis. Anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

Stephen

Hi Stevie. I wasn't impressed with the finish quality of any 3D printed models I've seen so far. The obvious chassis would be an existing MM 141/181. I'm happy to wait some years for high quality injection moulded plastic if it ever comes to pass. Nothing including 3D, resin nor metal beats it for detail nor quality. Noel

Additionally, given that 141s aren't made any more and few will want to give one up for a chassis, it would be a better idea to make it fit something like an Athearn SW1500 chassis for example. Something easily available, and less expensive than a small GM

Bear in mind the 121 chassis is shorter than the 141/181.

Is the difference in length (i.e. buffer to buffer) due to different body length sitting over the same chassis, OR actual shorter distance between the outermost two axels?

Is the difference in length (i.e. buffer to buffer) due to different body length sitting over the same chassis, OR actual shorter distance between the outermost two axels?

The 121 chassis is definitely shorter than the 141/181. It's noticeable in any photos showing a 121/141 double header.

The 121 chassis is definitely shorter than the 141/181. It's noticeable in any photos showing a 121/141 double header.

Thanks. I think I'll wait for quality should MM or Bachmann release a 121 model over the next few years. Enough of wishful thinking . . . summer activity beckons for now.

Despite most retailers being out of stock, in my experience new or mint MM 141/181s are still relatively easy to get hold of with prices varying between €80-130. Probably the best Irish model chassis ever produced. And who knows, perhaps in years to come there may be limited reruns anyway.

Quite by chance I've just looked on the Shapeways website and there is now 4mm body available from Rail 3D Prints for £46.49 plus £17.41 for a set of detailing parts. The 2mm version is designed to go on an SW9 chassis, so no need to chop up a 141/181 chassis.

Stephen

Despite most retailers being out of stock, in my experience new or mint MM 141/181s are still relatively easy to get hold of with prices varying between €80-130. Probably the best Irish model chassis ever produced. And who knows, perhaps in years to come there may be limited reruns anyway.

I tell you I wouldn't have the heart to cut one up to make it fit in a 121!

Quite by chance I've just looked on the Shapeways website and there is now 4mm body available from Rail 3D Prints for £46.49 plus £17.41 for a set of detailing parts. The 2mm version is designed to go on an SW9 chassis, so no need to chop up a 141/181 chassis.

Stephen

Just had a look but you would really need to see one of these in the flesh to know how good it is. Good to see they have bogie sides available but I guess glazing would be up to yourself.

The cost would be around €100 without shipping.

If they marginally cheated on scale length so it would fit straight over an MM 141 chassis I would be tempted to buy one. €190 for a completed 121 model would be worth it if the detail is any good (ie while waiting in case MM ever do one). I see they offer a polished version (ie no 3D grain). I'd have no problem discarding the body from an MM 141 chassis, but I couldn't be bothered shortening a chassis (cut'n'shut). On screen it looks far superior to past MIR resin bodies. I have not yet seen a decent detailed model of a 121 at any of the shows.

While I don't have one myself, the latest version of Athearn RTR SW1500 is supposed to be very good, including a good drive. And would be cheaper than a 141.

Not saying you're wrong to do it Noel, I'm only commenting for the benefit of those like myself who would be tentative. Fair play to you for your willingness!

While I don't have one myself, the latest version of Athearn RTR SW1500 is supposed to be very good, including a good drive. And would be cheaper than a 141.

Not saying you're wrong to do it Noel, I'm only commenting for the benefit of those like myself who would be tentative. Fair play to you for your willingness!

Thanks. That's an option to consider. MM 141 seem less expensive than SW1500 eBay prices. I presume MM bogies are 00 gauge but the Athern is HO so would it look a little undersize?

Ps. If this Shapeways 121 is any good and sells well it could kill off any chance of a future MM/Bachmann offering.

Edited by Noel

Boys and girls

Just home after a couple of shandies and I came across this thread

I was talking to a friend earlier who was in contact with PM about another matter

He tells me that PM has just returned from the Far East

He would not give any specific details but I reckon you should start saving your shillings for next year!

Just saying like PIMP

Boys and girls

I was talking to a friend earlier who was in contact with PM about another matter

He would not give any specific details but I reckon you should start saving your shillings for next year!

Just saying like PIMP

Nice one ;)

Reflected ripples in the Gulf stream suggest that vast quantities of a certain coach may have returned to to the Orient which would certainly explain why no more stock can be sourced by Marks Models so soon after release of an 'unloved' product. That 'being' the case…… well, I'll leave the chinese whispers to Dave :rolleyes:

Reflected ripples in the Gulf stream suggest that vast quantities of a certain coach may have returned to to the Orient which would certainly explain why no more stock can be sourced by Marks Models so soon after release of an 'unloved' product. That 'being' the case…… well, I'll leave the chinese whispers to Dave :rolleyes:

The Oriental version of "luck-penny" the Chinese manufacturers tend to quietly sorts out the problem at their own expense without admitting liability and throws in a substantial discount off the next order for luck.

Edited by Mayner

I was only looking at that on their site over the past few days and thoughts were racing like little tiny trains. One can only hope for the best all going forward.

Boys and girls

Just saying like PIMP

Classic. :) Thanks Dave, glad to hear it. Will hold off then until President Clinton is back in the white house.

Hawkins Street still have them, including in their front window. They're still out there for anyone who is after them.

Hawkins Street still have them, including in their front window. They're still out there for anyone who is after them.

If you look on their site there are a few listed as less than 10 left and no more stock after that. I'd be amazed if they sold out of them so quickly all considering. They were the only Mk2s discounted in the sale too. The IE and Galways remained the same price. A good few went on ebay last night for €40 sold yet they are €56 in shops, they are shifting but well below RRP.

Boys and girls

Just saying like PIMP

Oh be still my gentle heart. Worth waiting for.