121 Class

Rate this topic

StevieB

P1070223_zps7592befc.jpg

Yum - Is that white chocolate Cadburys or Nestle?

parapet.gif

(in jest)

Seriously though the progression from early scratch built GMs to MIR, to polished 3D like below and now quality MM injection moulded plastic has been staggering. We are spoilt for fine scale models nowadays. Will watch this space late next year.

625x465_3649750_11337560_1437608071.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Most of the MIR 121s I've seen in the flesh looked like they have been dipped in an orange chocolate fountain. No doubt great in their day, but not exactly fine scale.

You will love this one then Noel, Touch it up a bit is the instruction.......Eh.....The Brass grill is caked in superglue.

IMG_0084_zpskmoppire.jpg

IMG_0087_zpsjvc20u0y.jpg

IMG_0086_zps0ua5wc91.jpg

IMG_0085_zps9eml9wck.jpg

1st step oven Cleaner bath which unfortunately did not shift 1 iota of paint but a spot of Cellulose Thinners did :)

IMG_0088_zpsbtlw0gmm.jpg

Edited by Georgeconna

I don't beleive it's that difficult to build a good running diesel chassis. Much less difficult then some steam locos I've built in the past. Good all wheel all axle plunger pickups , a decent Mashimo centre drive on cardan shafts etc, with the appropriate gearing , way simpler then steam as I said

• 1 year later...

Epilogue note for this 2yo thread and just to complete it in case anybody is reading it in the future, posted below are links to 121 project on workbench and one of the youtube clips. MIR kits were not available, so I went with the 3D Shapeways kit, running on the newer higher spec Athearn SW1500 chassis which purrs nearly as well as an MM. In the end I didn't cut up an MM141 donor for this 121, instead I used an MM141 as a donor chassis for a C class. Murphy Models 121 class models are expected this autumn so the need for kits and donor chassis will be academic shortly. Glad to have a B&T livery version in the mean time while waiting for superior MM RTR models.

121 Workbench: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/6142-Kingsbridge-paint-shop?p=100168&viewfull=1#post100168

Video of chassis slow running:

B121 prior to detailing - The new higher spec SW1500 chassis is a superb low speed runner with AWD and AWP.

IMG_2202.jpg

Edited by Noel
Bye Bye PhotoBucket

• 4 weeks later...
Nice,and running very smoothly.

Cheers EM. 121 turned out better then I had expected. The body is a WSF print (white strong flexible). Few bits of plasticard added including roof. The bogies were 3D FUD prints (frosted ultra detail). Having figured out one of these combinations I was all set to do two more, but think I'll wait instead for the MM 121s which are due later in the year. If there is any delay with the MMS I'm chomping at the bit to try a grey livery one. Really pleased with the smoothness of the latest iteration of the Athearn chassis. Noel

Cheers EM. 121 turned out better then I had expected. The body is a WSF print (white strong flexible). Few bits of plasticard added including roof. The bogies were 3D FUD prints (frosted ultra detail). Having figured out one of these combinations I was all set to do two more, but think I'll wait instead for the MM 121s which are due later in the year. If there is any delay with the MMS I'm chomping at the bit to try a grey livery one. Really pleased with the smoothness of the latest iteration of the Athearn chassis. Noel

Now that you've a MM141 chassis under your C class, you could try using its bogie sideframes with the 121. They're pretty much the same, apart from some minor details and a slight difference in length.

Now that you've a MM141 chassis under your C class, you could try using its bogie sideframes with the 121. They're pretty much the same, apart from some minor details and a slight difference in length.

Hi Patrick. Loco already has correct 121 bogie side frames (see photo above). But yes I could have re-used the 141 side frames slightly modified when they were replaced with MV resin ones for the C class, instead of the 3D FUD ones. Aside from only one brake cylinder there were a few other small differences between 141 and 121 bogies. I've another C class in the works using another MM 141 donor chassis so I will save the bogie side frames in case I do another Shapeways 121. Noel