JM Design BSSGV Overlays

Rate this topic

Mayner

The BSSGVs were late 1970s rebuilds of Corridor Standard coaches into Brake Standard Steam Generator Vans to replace the last of the Tin Vans still in service

DSCF3826.JPG

BSSGV from corridor side.

DSCF3827.JPG

Compartment side

DSCF3823.JPG

Close up boiler/generator/luggage compartment.

DSCF3821.JPG

Boiler roof panel

DSCF3819.JPG

Van from corridor side.

The BSGV overlays are priced at $53.00 NZ +$10 postage (approx. £22 Stg + £4.5 postage) The $NZ has taken a tumble in recent months which results in a real reduction in shipping costs to Irish and UK customers.

The sides for these coaches should be ready for shipping in approx. 3 weeks

Edited by Mayner

They look seriously good. Forgive my ignorance, but how are these usually used to construct a coach? Does one buy/acquire a plastic donor coach body and fit these over or replace the plastic sides, or are they a total scratch build? (e.g. do the chassis, bogies, under frames, roof, coach ends, buffers and corridor connectors, etc come with the kit or donor).

Are there any instructions online for similar coach kits by John.

• 5 months later...

John emailed me to say that the coach sides are all sold out, but he can order the sides by special order direct from the engraver subject to a minimum order for certain types of coach.

Would anyone else be interested in one or more of the following JM Design Overlays for CIE Laminate coaches? The minimum number required for a special are on the left of each coach side, 3 each for the SO, BSO or BSGSV

1 - Buffet Car

2 - Side Corridor Standard

3 - Standard Open

DSCF3806.JPG

3 - Brake Standard Open http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4591-J-M-Design-overlays-for-Dapol-coaches/page4

DSCF3792.JPG

3 - Brake Standard Steam Generator Van

DSCF3827.JPG

I would like to take maybe one of each, maybe a couple of the SO.

If anyone else is interested in acquiring some or wishing to extend a rake with any, could you please post on this thread?

Just to remind, these coaches were built in the early 1950s using traditional coach building techniques similar in construction and general design to the Bredins built in the 1930s. The laminates were built in the late 50s the body work was constructed using pre-fabricated panel techniques using panels laminated from aluminium, insulation and plywood.

The BSSGVs were late 1970s rebuilds of Corridor Standard coaches into Brake Standard Steam Generator Vans to replace the last of the Tin Vans still in service (see some excellent pictures of the coaches above)

Edited by DiveController

Hi Kevin

Might be interested in joining in, but a few queries.

1. What price are the SO and BSO versions?
  2. Does anybody have a scanned copy of the instructions so I can gauge what work would be involved?
  3. Are the overlays stuck over the existing plastic coach sides or instead of?
  4. Which donor would be most suitable for the BSSGV in terms of interior seating, etc?
  5. Which donor for the SO, BSO - the Dapol coaches seem to be corridor interior layouts instead of open?
  6. Do they fit on the RTR and/or KIT Dapol 60ft Stanier coaches below?

Thanks

Noel

Edited by Noel

Hi Kevin

2. Does anybody have a scanned copy of the instructions so I can gauge what work would be involved?
  4. Which donor would be most suitable for the BSSGV in terms of interior seating, etc?
  5. Which donor for the SO, BSO - the Dapol coaches seem to be corridor interior layouts instead of open?

Thanks

Noel

Yes Noel the first Dapol one is what I used for these Bredin Coaches and searched for the cheapest buy.

I've sent you a PM re the construction.

Hi Kevin

Thanks

Noel

Good morning, Noel,

The BSGV overlays are priced at $53.00 NZ +$10 postage (approx. £22 Stg + £4.5 postage) The $NZ has taken a tumble in recent months which results in a real reduction. I think the other are similarly proced. I'll check later

Could you post that link to Kieran's build on the RMWeb site please?

Edited by DiveController

Good morning, Noel,

The BSGV overlays are priced at $53.00 NZ +$10 postage (approx. £22 Stg + £4.5 postage) The $NZ has taken a tumble in recent months which results in a real reduction. I think the other are similarly proced. I'll check later

COuld you post that link to Kieran's build on the RMWeb site please?

To avoid confusion I am not planning to re-stock the coach sides at this stage.

I can supply coach sides to individual customers directly from the engraver subject to a minimum order.

Buffet Car 1 set sides

Side Corridor Standard -2 sets sides

Standard Open, Brake Standard Open, BSSGV -3 sets sides

I will need to quote on each order, the supplier is in the UK prices to EU customers are subject to UK VAT. Shipping costs for small orders from the UK works out higher than from New Zealand thanks to the McDonalds exchange rate.

I have no problem with an individual customer such as Dive Controller placing an order for a group or on selling surplus items but the person who places the order will need to sort out pricing and shipping with individual members of the group.

• Informative 1

I was considering using the rtr version rather than the kit just to minimize the amount of construction for the novice modeler.

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=177_60_87_159&product_id=457

I think they come glazed, with interiors but obviously you would need to do a lot of work to realign the interior (and not tho sure what to do with brakes and GSVs).

Obviously there is a compromise of 6mm to be made for the prototypical coaches to be reduced from 61'6" to 60' to for the Stanier Period 3 coaches. The prototype was 9'11" wide by comparison with the Park Royals and some other which were 10'2"(1mm in OO)

I don't have a reference for the British LMS prototypes and found it difficult to source the prototypical dimensions online (width). Would appreciate any information on this and how well the Dapol OO model conforms to that prototype

Edited by DiveController
  • Informative 1

Kevin

You would be better off with the Dapol kit rather than the rtr model for the conversions. There are photos and links to articles showing what's involved on the JM Design Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jmdesignmodelrailways.

You basically need to remove all raised detail from the coach body before cutting out the window openings, leaving a thin strip of plastic along the top to attach the roof.

There are two schools of though about building coach bodies one is to glue the roof to the body before removing the floor and cutting out for the window openings, the second is for a removable roof.

Dapol Body Isometric.jpg

Bodyshell end detail.jpg

The glazing is best discarded apart from a thin strip along the top which can be used to secure the roof. Two sets of interiors are required to complete the corridor second, seating for open coaches can be purchased from suppliers like Comet, Ratio and Southern Pride.

The coach sides were 'shrunk to fit" the Dapol shell to avoid distorting the proportions of the coach which works out at 1:74.1 or 3.9mm Foot not a serious issue when the modelling Irish Broad gauge on 4'1½" gauge track.

• Informative 1

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2023 at 12:14 AM, Mayner said:

The coach sides are available to order 6-8 week lead time.

I need to quote for each individual order as they are shipped direct from our supplier in the UK rather than a stock item

I recently supplied GSSGV sides and detail overlays for £40 plus shipping

Mighty, sent ya a PM there

• Funny 1

On 13/11/2023 at 6:14 PM, Mayner said:

The coach sides are available to order 6-8 week lead time.

I need to quote for each individual order as they are shipped direct from our supplier in the UK rather than a stock item

I recently supplied GSSGV sides and detail overlays for £40 plus shipping

John, is there any coach or kit that is currently available that would work well with these, the original 60' kit intended to work with your overlays is OOS

Edited by DiveController
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DiveController said:

John, is there any coach or kit that is currently available that would work well with these, the original 60' kit intended to work with your overlays is OOS

I don't know.

The original Airfix/GMR 60' coaches occasionally appear on e-bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1351072475?iid=384074744618 though the corridor connections which were originally moulded in a flexible plastic tend to be brittle. B

The Bachmann 60' porthole coaches may be suitable, beware the Airfix/GMR/GMR Stanier Brakes and Bachmann Porthole Brakes as they are 57' coaches https://oliviastrains.com/product-category/bachmann-main/bachmann-coaches/bachmann-lms-porthole-coaches/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1