Dart underground plan time limit running out

Rate this topic

They said the Phoenix park tunnel was only a temporary solution? . Frankly I think the dart underground is a fantastic idea. It will reduce traffic and therefore co2 emissions and will make Dublin a much more tourist friendly area. I'm sure it would be extremely successful.

The Phoenix Park Tunnel project is quite political. If it fails, it gives the Government a reason not to give the full go-ahead to DART Underground (missing the point of it). If it is moderately successful, they will claim it is enough and no DART Underground needed. If it is massively successful (which I doubt), it will lead to DART Underground or throttling capacity to turn people away. I'm just waiting for the inevitable failure of something, be it train or points in the Connolly area, messing up both Connolly and Heuston.

Whilst the above failure could (and will at some point) happen with DART Underground, it is less likely to have an affect across the whole network as Phoenix Park will have, due to the diagramming of the ICR fleet (making maximum use of the fleet)

I'd love to see the underground - it's already necessary, never mind when the economy grows (and population with it). 1.25 million people, or about a fifth of the entire island population, already live in greater Dublin. In other words, Dublin now has as many people as almost three-quarters of Northern Ireland. So it arguably needs an internal rail network bigger than NIR!!

Edited by jhb171achill

How will the Government raise the Billion + € needed to build the DART underground? Higher taxes or congestion charges in the Greater Dublin region?

Traffic figures on similar schemes in Sydney & Brisbane have not lived up to expectations with the Government having to step in with a much higher level of subsidy than originally planned.

Accepting EU or World Bank funding could leave Ireland even more indebted and economic policy subject to the whims of the Trokia.

How will the Government raise the Billion + € needed to build the DART underground? Higher taxes or congestion charges in the Greater Dublin region?

Traffic figures on similar schemes in Sydney & Brisbane have not lived up to expectations with the Government having to step in with a much higher level of subsidy than originally planned.

Accepting EU or World Bank funding could leave Ireland even more indebted and economic policy subject to the whims of the Trokia.

The gov has full access to capital markets and with a declining budget deficit could easily fund dart underground and remain within the stability pact.

Like everything it's a question of priority politics. Are there many votes in DU , I doubt it.