121 Another 7mm Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi All

Here is a few shots of another 7mm model being built by an MRSI chap, from a scratch built kit set-up by that master in the same club. Fresh from the blast cabinet and almost ready to go off to the painting man....

121 GOR-00 IMG_0271.jpg

121 Gor-01 0272.jpg

121 Gor-02 IMG_0270.jpg

Lovely stuff- I want one!

Eoin

• Like 1

Politics apart, I used to wonder what way Ireland's railways would have developed if no border had been created in 1921, and (like the GSR) all the railways came under one ownership of an all-Ireland independent Republic.

Alternatively, if all of Ireland had remained as a part of the UK under British rule, would Ireland's railways have been included in the 1948 nationalised creation of British Rail?

Politics apart, I used to wonder what way Ireland's railways would have developed if no border had been created in 1921, and (like the GSR) all the railways came under one ownership of an all-Ireland independent Republic.

Alternatively, if all of Ireland had remained as a part of the UK under British rule, would Ireland's railways have been included in the 1948 nationalised creation of British Rail?

Imagine what Beeching would have done.....

That's very true. Given that today, an all Ireland state would have about 7% of what would be the total "UK" population, living in an area some 28-30% of its total, two-island size, it's fair to surmise that nothing much would have been left.

Certainly not the SLNCR, which would make "Arigna Road" all the more fascinating, with "Lissadell" carrying a BR lion-and-wheel crest!

Incidentally, to remain on thread, am I right in thinking I saw a 7mm scale model of some 3ft narrow gauge stuff (possibly C & L?) at an exhibition many moons ago? I'm not talking about Fry, incidentally; anyone have any idea?

Edited by jhb171achill

If the border had never existed would their still be a GSR and GNR? like the big four of britain? as irish railways were heavily influenced by britain and its railways i think this could have been the case. if it was all under one railway (Great Irish Railways?) we would have a very different railway system now, better or worse off who knows. as for if ireland remained part of the empire ireland probably would have been included in the nationalisation and beeching axe would have left us with Dublin cork and belfast mainline and dublin sligo line, some other lines in the south east may have also survived. one can only imagine the locos running. Deltics with some mk3s anyone?

Could be that the Cavan & Leitrim models were the bogie coaches produced by Branchlines, JB. I actually had a couple in the '90s. Fairly basic kits, they made up well enough & had the advantages of etches to cover the ornate balconies. Built mine for an English might have been called the High Weald Light Railway, which appeared in Railway Modeller a couple of times. Am now hoping the kit may still be available as a C&L diorama is very much on my list of future projects. If only I hadn't sold the originals!

Possibly an amalgamation of the MGWR, GNR & DSER, the NCC absorbing the BCDR and the GSWR absorbing the West Cork. There were supposed to have been rumours of a MGWR GNR amalgamation and the DSER wanted to amalgamate with the GNR in 1924.

Possibly an Irish branch of the BTC had the whole island of Ireland remained in the UK , possibly some of the lighter BR standard steam types, the NCC / UTA engineers had invented the DMU ahead of British Railways.

Harland & Woolfe might have become a serious diesel locomotive builder with a potentially wider market than the County Down & NCC.

An Irish Railways Executive would have to develop its own diesel loco designs as most BR classes were too heavy for use in Ireland

I am not sure if the Beeching cuts would have been worse than the cuts of the 50s and 60s, CIE, UTA & Stormont were years ahead of the UK mainland in closing railways

The UTA certainly out-Beeching'd Beeching!

By 1964, when jhb171 Senior was based with the UTA, internal rumours were that the entire railway system in the north would close.

They very nearly got their way. Government thought the railways were finished and road transport was the most viable way forward. Even the cross border traffic had descended to the farce of changing locomotives at Dundalk,albeit for different reasons,but another tool in the anti railway armoury. Benson's report fell short of full closure,had he recommended full closure I have no doubt it would have been implemented.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the emoticon for a standing ovation?

That is just beautiful. The 201 must be some beast in the flesh, what, two foot long??? And what motive power has it?

Wrenn, let me know if he needs transfers on this , I'll do 7mm ones in a shot, good price, love you long time.

Livery - all over navy railcar blue with GNR; what looks like a thin single red and white line along the middle. Lettering and numerals shaded red and gold.

From about 1959, CIE light green, unlined, no snail; renumbered from GNR's 800 to CIE's K801.

After about 1962, it obtained all over black with white lines round the tops of the bonnets. K801 in standard CIE font and size on cab sides, with CIE roundels on longer bonnet sides. Never had tan bits.