What Air Brush?

Rate this question

Dave

Question

I just read through this thread again, as I am about to get an airbrush. In Glendergs excellent post, on the first page, he includes a link to this set... http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-/370268372610?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item5635b6fe82#ht_5534wt_1139

The nozzle on the airbrush included in the set is listed as being 0.3mm. Will this be sufficient? My intended work for the airbrush would be some weathering, and painting of any locos or rolling stock that I might build/modify in future. Will one nozzle size do all this work, or would I need a number of nozzles?

I just read through this thread again, as I am about to get an airbrush. In Glendergs excellent post, on the first page, he includes a link to this set... http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-/370268372610?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item5635b6fe82#ht_5534wt_1139

The nozzle on the airbrush included in the set is listed as being 0.3mm. Will this be sufficient? My intended work for the airbrush would be some weathering, and painting of any locos or rolling stock that I might build/modify in future. Will one nozzle size do all this work, or would I need a number of nozzles?

The thickness of the nozzle dictates how fine you need your work to be. The fact that they are double action is a plus point. I would however take some caution before committing to buying the set. Check that there are spare parts readily available for the compressor and airbrushes. If you want a starter set to develop your skills it would be a nice starting point. You can always buy better quality equipment in the future that has good after sales quality and service. I have a friend that airbrushes fuel tanks on motorbikes and he has an airbrush for the last twenty years that is a bit like Triggers sweeping brush in Only Fools and Horses. It's had lot's of parts replaced through the years so he doesn't think that any of the original parts are left, but he still calls it his first. It's like any other tool be it files, drill bit's, knives etc you get what you pay for. I read an interview with the guy that does the custom painting for the American Chopper guys a few years ago and he said that it's like any other job where you need the work to be faultless you need the best equipment. Kudos to you for wanting to get a set and have a go, the very best of luck to you.

Rich,

Well put RedRich, I have a Badger that must be 30yrs old, expensive then but it is still OK and does a good job although its a single action. i am up for a new Iwata but££££! I think the moral is buy the best you can afford or even not afford! because long term it will pay dividends when you get used to it. I run mine off a £100 MachineMart workshop compressor.Better for spraying, no pulsing, no water droplets, not so good in a house noisy and vibrates a lot! so I"m in the garage.

Yeah, I think I'd have to go with both RedRich and Mike on the actual airbrush front itself. I have 5 of those airbrushes, bought as parts of severals deals etc. online, and though I clean them thoroughly after use, there is always blockages. Last night for instance, I was putting white acrylic primer on a weedspray coach, and whilst the mix was perfect, the nozzle began to clog. In frustration at non-constant output, I dumped all five brushes into brake fluid overnight, and the result was astonishing, for at least 15 minutes today. It's the one regret that I have - I should have gone for an Iwata/Badger, and saved the frustration for myself. I will say this though - I am pretty much 90% acrylic when it comes to airbrushing, and molecular make up of the paint is vastly different to enamels, hence the clogging. Any time I've used the cheaper airbrushes for enamel work - railmatch weathering paints mostly - the brushes have been flawless, and no latent paint remains the following day.

To some up - if going acrylic - go expensive, if going enamel - go cheap. This in only my opinion now, so I'd like to hear others' view on acrylics & airbrushes.

On the compressor front, I have the one from the set I posted, it's my second, and it has been flawless to work with on coaches, locos etc. Constant output with a moisture release valve to get rid of any water in the system, and as long as it isn't on for hours on end, you won't kill it. That's how I killed my first compressor, god rest her poor taiwanese shell.

Glad I could help too. Richie.

Some very good and important points lad's. It's alright walking into Lidl and reckoning you've got a bargain, but after a few months things can begin to give trouble. Look after your equipment clean your airbrushes regularly after every session, learn how to mix your paints to the correct consistency. If using enamels spray in a well ventilated location and wear a proper mask. They cost around 30 Euros and are essential. I've seen some imitation Zippo lighters in the past but they ain't Zippo's and do begin to fall apart after a while. It's the same with any precision tool buy the best you need or can afford. There are tonnes of spares, and online support available.

Needle files are a classic example I have a set Swiss made files and needle files the cheap pack of 8 for a fiver don't just cut it in the long run. I stopped using cheaper cutting knives and scalpels in the past and now I only use Swann Morton knives. It makes a difference in the long run. Putting aside all opinions practice, dedication, and studying the prototype are also as important. Acquire the skills and believe me anyone can do it with practice. If you make a mistake start again don't hope the next one will be better once you get the first one right you won't look back.

Rich,

compressor 2.JPGI have two compressors , the first a sealey i bought on adverts for 60 plus post a great little compressor and silent too

the only problem is that it is a continious runner , { for sale in the for sale section 50 yo yo }

the second one i have is excellent , nice and compact and has a cut off at what ever pressure you want to set

cheap and cheerful at 60 yo yo online

as for brushes there are many bargains on e bay dave and with the sales on you are sure to pick something up cheap

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALLAB900_l compressor.jpg

Yes they are a good company they used to airbrush a lot of the competition show cars. I remember them painting Phil Neil's from Portadown Audio Advice Renault 19. An absolute stunning paint job. http://2004.mtxaudio.eu/spip.php?article1188

Here is a great supplier and a great airbrush for the money.

http://www.smdesigns.co.uk/iwataneo?pmc_a=show&pmc_id=624

Also some great lesson videos, although this guy takes airbrushing to a whole new level. No connection just a happy customer.

Eileens Emporium had an airbrush demo on their stand at the Doncaster exhibition, you could go and have a play with anyone of 4/5 different airbrushes.The Iwatta Revolution RV-TR1 i found to be amazing. Double action,pistol grip(very comfortable to hold) 0.3 nozzell. If anyone is looking to buy its worth checking out but it aint cheap! I spray mainly acrylics or nasty Floquil so I am giving it serious consideration. E.P. are doing an offer on them. I have no connection with Eileens Emporium other than a satisfied customer.

Mike

Well after a long, long time I took the plunge and bought an airbrush a few months ago. Finally got around to put it to some use. Ahem, no laughing please as its my first attempt.

Did a bit of track weathering today on a layout I built for a customer.

2014-08-25 16.52.32.jpg

2014-08-25 16.30.17.jpg

2014-08-25 16.30.31.jpg

2014-08-25 16.30.40.jpg

2014-08-25 16.32.02.jpg

2014-08-25 16.35.07.jpg

2014-08-25 16.35.17.jpg

Ta, the airbrush I got off ebay with a filter regulator links below. Went for a middle of the road airbrush, very happy with it. The static grass is a blend of a few different types to get the shading right.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/331225196182?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/161254775887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Old thread but seems the right place to ask. On Richie's recommendation I bought a Veda WD-186R airbrush kit, and have been learning how to use it, and as a total novice very happy with it so far. Question: which needle size should I use for weathering, and which for spraying a coach? It came with 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5mm needles and nozzle pair. so far I have only used the 0.2mm.

Thanks in anticipation

Noel