D.S.E.R. Stations

Rate this topic

Sulzer201

Recently I had a go at attempting to represent a couple of D.S.E.R. stations, Rathnew and Wicklow Mainline. Rathnew was a single platform station with a short siding which was lifted in the early part of the 20th C the station closed in 1964 along with numerous other smaller stations on this route. The station is located in a cutting and the station house is now private, the platform was removed during the installation of the mini ctc. Less than two miles to the east is Wicklow Mainline which is still in use this station has a loop and short PW siding, located just before the bridge over the Vartry river. Unlike, Rathnew station, Wicklow is a fair distance from the town centre and it was opened later than Wicklow Murrough, now long since closed. I will try and improve this work as I go and I'm attempting to develop my skills. Wicklow will be next and I would be glad of any advice for modelling the unusual signal box and footbridge and the lovely old red brick and glass waiting room on the 'up side' which has been closed off to the public for many years - also any ideas on platforms? Thanks for having a look.

RathNaoi6.JPG

RathNaoi1.JPG

RathNaoi2.JPG

RathNaoi3.JPG

RathNaoi4.JPG

RathNaoi5.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An engineers train is seen running along the D.S.E.R. single track sections and enters the loop at Wicklow mainline to cross a returning Arklow bank holiday relief service. Big GM 112 has been visiting Inchicore for minor modifications and was sent down on a test run to Arklow. After exchanging staffs the engineers train continues on its journey to Beleece to be loaded with ballast for the next possession - in the Wicklow - Rathdrum section.

• 2 months later...

I have now dismantled the old "Brickworks" layout and concentrating on the much smaller D.S.E.R. stations representing Wicklow and Rathnew (closed) in the days of loco hauled trains. The layout is small and simple and all the track-work is easy got at for cleaning, fault-finding etc. It is a basic layout and I will hopefully improve my skills as we go along. I only run a couple of locos at a time and this keeps things simple, the power supply is dcc. I'm enjoying running the layout at present and I will improve things - here is a short clip, the pw train is made up of cheap hornby open wagons and the poorly build tankers - carrying heavy oil for shelton - are from Dapol kits.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...