087 on the Rosslare-Waterford EST.

Rate this topic

Just a question based on the above, because the line has been mothballed, does this prevent a train (chartered or otherwise) with passengers from using it? I would assume in the future that the the Belmont run service might want to use this line? Then again I guess it was never cleared for the 201s to use? And then does that in turn mean that if the Grand Hibernian is run to Rosslare for example, that the 201 loco would have to go 'The long way round' to Waterford each trip? Just some thoughts!

Just a question based on the above, because the line has been mothballed, does this prevent a train (chartered or otherwise) with passengers from using it? I would assume in the future that the the Belmont run service might want to use this line? Then again I guess it was never cleared for the 201s to use? And then does that in turn mean that if the Grand Hibernian is run to Rosslare for example, that the 201 loco would have to go 'The long way round' to Waterford each trip? Just some thoughts!

As far as I am aware, as it is on care and maintenance (mothballed) passenger trains cannot run. As far as operations are concerned, PWD staff have the line as part of an Absolute Possession (T3)

Nice shots Eamonn

I'm not sure. They could well leave it as is, either the proviso that nothing whatsoever bar a weedspray goes over it, or even like Claremorris - Collooney, that they merely maintain the right of way.

The huge Barrow Viaduct and its condition will be the key. If and when (and eventually it's inevitable), the engineer declares that bridge impassable, then it's finished.

This railway was only ever opened as a short cut from Waterford to Rosslare when the latter was by far the most important port. Unfortunately, it's been decades since anything resembling lucrative traffic ever passed over it. The few small villages served would barely fill a taxi on a public transport service. I know the area quite well, and it's sleepy, let's say.

Without the beet, it would have gone years ago, unfortunately.

It would be nice to see something appear to give it a future, but with the costs of maintaining the second largest railway viaduct in Ireland associated, it's not like reopening any normal line.