Ballykay

Rate this topic

Started my Helix to level 3 recently over the next few weeks I'll post up some more pics

When the layout is finished you will not be able to see the helix

Here you can see the Helix starting at level 2 and the final hight for level 3

hty.jpg

If you look down through the helix you can see the lower helix (with track) which takes you from level 2 down to the storage sidings on level 1

aagfae.jpg

Got around to making some rock embankments from Styrofoam. I still have to add a little more colour to the rock. I have also put a small station in the corner as a filler. The lower tunnel heads of to the lower helix and the storage sidings. The hillside will continue up to hide the upper helix.

ppl.jpg

photodfg.jpg

photovv.jpg

kjhgpy.jpg

Bloody hell Anthony - that's a monster! Great work!

The quality and pace of your work is putting us all to shame Sir!

What techniques have you used to weather the track? Looks amazing!

Bloody hell Anthony - that's a monster! Great work!

Level 3 will be at eye level. But I'm 6'3" so some of the guy's will need to bring a box to stand on when they come to see it. I'm taking A4 Mallards advice on the height and building it to suite myself as I will be spending a lot of time running it.

Looks like it's going to be amazing fun to operate!

The quality and pace of your work is putting us all to shame Sir!

What techniques have you used to weather the track? Looks amazing!

I use phoenix precision and railmatch track dirt for the sleepers, to give me some contrast I use these 2 colours in different areas these are airbrushed on. For the rails Phoenix precision yellow rust painted on with a fine brush

Looks like it's going to be amazing fun to operate!

Level 2 will be double track main line running, level 3 will be typical Irish country side single line with a station passing loop and sidings and a small town scene

Level 3 will be at eye level. But I'm 6'3" so some of the guy's will need to bring a box to stand on when they come to see it. I'm taking A4 Mallards advice on the height and building it to suite myself as I will be spending a lot of time running it.

He needs a step ladder for top level he's put on. Mind you, even I need a box!

Nice work man, you're certainly working fast and it looks great!

I'm still waiting on you to call up with some of those nice locos you have and give my track a good workout

Edited by Anthony

good stuff there big man, what are the layout dimentions? i know you said it before but forget. the helix looks great- how wide is it? it will be a great way of accessing different levels from a small space. did discuss one with A4 a while back for my layout. keep the pics comming! seamus

good stuff there big man, what are the layout dimentions? i know you said it before but forget. the helix looks great- how wide is it? it will be a great way of accessing different levels from a small space. did discuss one with A4 a while back for my layout. keep the pics comming! seamus

Seamus the layout is 16'x12' the helix is 4' wide and the lower helix is 4'6" wide

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hidden-agenda

Love the 201 especially nice when the ballast train is rolling by and you can hear the engine in the background.