Ballykay

Rate this topic

I only got to spend a little time working on the layout over the weekend. As most of you guys know I building my layout like the Americans do, double deck one on top of the other with a helix. One of the problems I encountered was when I started to put the upper level in place the lower level became very dark. So a trip to B&Q and some down lighters later here is the result. I also got some skirting board to finish off the leading edge of the upper level and when I get around to it this will be painted black.

lights 4.jpg

lights 1.jpg

lights 5.jpg

lights 6.jpg

lights 4.jpg

lights 1.jpg

lights 5.jpg

lights 6.jpg

The weekend is usually the only time I get to spend working on my layout so here is last weekends progress a little factory scene and the continuation of my canal. The factory is a cardboard model and the cobbles are Wills sheets. Foam was used for making the rock face

jnvckfxdxcnjv.jpg

cfxfgvlbgljidx.jpg

jugktfuesuitfgy.jpg

jghfotfopgh.jpg

Beautiful Anthony!

Can you share any 'details' of the master plan with us?

Level one is storage I have about 10 full length sidings so I can store full trains and call them up when I want them. Level one is 18" of floor level the trains then come up the lower helix (helix 1) and enter level 2 at the signal box you all see in the photos and videos of my layout.

Level 2 is best described as a square figure of 8 it is 16' x12' and is designed as double main line running with a passing loop for the slower trains to wait in. It is all country side as that is what I like to see model trains running through the country side it's the level you guys are most familiar with as this is where all my photos and videos are done. Level 2 is just over 3 foot of the ground and was designed just as a main line that you can leave a couple of trains running on and forget about them while you shunt etc on level 3.

Level 3 is the upper level at eye level its just over 5' from the floor and is built to suit me (height wise) as I am over 6' tall so its at just lower than eye level for me. Level 3 is accessed from level 2 by the upper helix (helix 2) both helix on the layout are single road and sit one on top of the other they will not be seen when all is finished.

Level 3 will be a single line running around the room (like a lot of Irish lines) it will be 16x12 and will have my little Irish Station (Ballykay) a working turntable, engine shed and a couple of sidings. It will also have a full build of the village of Avoca in county Wicklow which stared in Ballykissangle and is currently under construction with Glenderg. Level 3 is currently under construction the helix has been installed and 80% of the base boards are in. The station will be on a 16' section but what I have to decide is my platform length. I can run full length trains for example a full length of Mk3's is 8 but 7 looks better running around my layout. So do I make the platform to take 7 Mk3's or do I make the platform shorter and have an over hang. Any help here guys do all lager Country stations in Ireland take a full length train do I need to make the platform the same lenthe as my longest passenger train. As the build progresses I will post up more pictures/videos for you guys stay tuned:-bd

Level one is storage I have about 10 full length sidings so I can store full trains and call them up when I want them. Level one is 18" of floor level the trains then come up the lower helix (helix 1) and enter level 2 at the signal box you all see in the photos and videos of my layout.

Level 2 is best described as a square figure of 8 it is 16' x12' and is designed as double main line running with a passing loop for the slower trains to wait in. It is all country side as that is what I like to see model trains running through the country side it's the level you guys are most familiar with as this is where all my photos and videos are done. Level 2 is just over 3 foot of the ground and was designed just as a main line that you can leave a couple of trains running on and forget about them while you shunt etc on level 3.

Level 3 is the upper level at eye level its just over 5' from the floor and is built to suit me (height wise) as I am over 6' tall so its at just lower than eye level for me. Level 3 is accessed from level 2 by the upper helix (helix 2) both helix on the layout are single road and sit one on top of the other they will not be seen when all is finished.

Level 3 will be a single line running around the room (like a lot of Irish lines) it will be 16x12 and will have my little Irish Station (Ballykay) a working turntable, engine shed and a couple of sidings. It will also have a full build of the village of Avoca in county Wicklow which stared in Ballykissangle and is currently under construction with Glenderg. Level 3 is currently under construction the helix has been installed and 80% of the base boards are in. The station will be on a 16' section but what I have to decide is my platform length. I can run full length trains for example a full length of Mk3's is 8 but 7 looks better running around my layout. So do I make the platform to take 7 Mk3's or do I make the platform shorter and have an over hang. Any help here guys do all lager Country stations in Ireland take a full length train do I need to make the platform the same lenthe as my longest passenger train. As the build progresses I will post up more pictures/videos for you guys stay tuned:-bd

Nah Anto there's often an overhang at Irish stations... sure look at this photo of Galway (a pretty major station!)

I'm 90% sure the train is stationary because I remember there being an overhang when i was there :)

galway-rosslare sleeper.jpg

galway-rosslare sleeper.jpg

Templemore used to have a titchy platform before it was extended, the whole train over hung/hanged? Limerick station too. Jump out at the wrong door and you meet the signal cabin face on. I think it would be a great view to photograph the running gear and weathering for your locos if there was a bit of loco sticking out. BallyK is progressing nicely, will post up some pics over the weekend.