Dave

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
Not enough superlatives available! A true example of professional work! Simply staggering! You've 'knocked out' the layout of a lifetime there Dave! The client must be beyond chuffed!!!! Just stunning!

Have to agree,beautiful job, Dave! Good it'll be hard to part with after all that!

Incidentally, how big is it and how does it travel, in sections like beneath the bow there?

How do you put a price on building something like that...Wow!!

You don't. 'Er indoors would divorce you on the spot :)

Come teh mid-life crisis, this beats a Harley Ultra Glide hands down.

Truly amazing piece of work...and TWO Heljians. Love the tire marks on the concrete apron.

Thanks lads, it's been a long build over a year and I can't see myself doing another one as a lot of orders backed up as the layout took over the workshop. I think the only way I would do it again would be another workshop and just spend one or two days a week on it.

To answer some of your questions:

It breaks down into 8 sections, 3 on each side then the viaduct and the lift up section on the other end. I transported it by trailer with a racking system in it.

The cost was massive! That's all I'm saying!

There are 3 Heljan cranes Weshty! 2 in the port and a non working one on the other side.

I have some video showing the level crossing and faller truck in action as well as the ship smoke and sound! I'll try to get that uploaded later in the week.

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tumbsup::tumbsup: Must be everyone on this forums dream. The ship is something else as well. How did you do that Dave??? :fingersintheair:

The ship was a kit from Deans Marine, it's 1:76 scale MV Fairwind. But it's a crap kit badly marked out and was a nightmare to put together. I won't be doing another!

Fantastic! I'd be tempted to just switch off the phone for a few weeks and 'forget' to deliver it. Grab a few beers for yourself and just watch some trains go round! Well done, fantastic build and thanks for sharing. Owner will be very pleased!

Fantastic! I'd be tempted to just switch off the phone for a few weeks and 'forget' to deliver it. Grab a few beers for yourself and just watch some trains go round! Well done, fantastic build and thanks for sharing. Owner will be very pleased!

I wish I could. This layout took over the workshop for the last 5 months as it was fully assembled which meant the workshop was out of action.

• 7 months later...
A quick lick of paint on the gantries and a whole pile of Bell containers... whip out the colour lights and replace with semaphores, weather the track some more and we've got a lovely Irish layout incorporating Belview terminal!

I was thinking the same thing! I could never get the post-BR scene with the gaudy Disney-esque liveries and multiplicity of railway operators with "makey-up" names like Great Eastern this, or Great Western that...... Brunel would weep hysterically into his soup, and Gresley would suffer Multiple Conniptions of the Screaming Fits. And that's before they hear of "train stations", "train lines" and Colas Virgin Atoc Train Company and their class 67000898 broccoli-powered equality-compliant DMUs..... And Stanier! As for Stanier, he would walk up and down, mumbling and rocking side to side, and clutching his teddy bear firmly in his now-crooked fingers......

And Banksy would scribble all over all of'em, like he has scribbled over all of London. I was there last week; makes Broombridge look like a 3D Mona Lisa. Ye gods.

A few dirty oul 141s pottering about with Bell boxes, and a 071 or two rattling past with a set of Mk. 2s or Cravens; perfect!

If it was mine, being a fictitious layout, I would imagine it wasn't Waterford, but maybe a major container terminal at Mornington (Drogheda), Wicklow or Galway!

Edited by jhb171achill

A quick lick of paint on the gantries and a whole pile of Bell containers... whip out the colour lights and replace with semaphores, weather the track some more and we've got a lovely Irish layout incorporating Belview terminal!

Sadly Bell never saw Bellview which is the new port , in Waterford Bell was always known as bell ferry , and it's jetties to the day they failed , were opposite Reginald's tower on the ferrybank side

I had the pleasure as a kid , being taken up into the container crane cabin and watched them upload trains etc. ( the crane drivers, legend had it, were the highest paid men in Waterford )

If it was mine, being a fictitious layout, I would imagine it wasn't Waterford, but maybe a major container terminal at Mornington (Drogheda), Wicklow or Galway!

Or perhaps greenore , where one could postulate the LNWR lived on, till dieselisation and had the LMS had its way , sure we would have had green and blue diesels running around the midlands !!!