Jason's Workbench

Rate this topic

JasonB

Jason,

First time I've had the chance to look through the thread in it's entirety and I find it most impressive, and even better to see some actual modelling on here :P - the finish on those cement wagons is really top top stuff. Any chance you'd share your workflow? Is it enamel/acrylic ? Weathering powders or airbrush?

The streaking down the canvas sides is particularly tidy, and since you've "a few" to do, maybe even a tutorial?

Richie.

Thanks very much Richie,regarding the weathering i used most of what you mentioned.Enamel washes which were mixed to make certain colours and airbrushed on.The weathering powders i brushed on dry and also used wet in some areas which helps with the streaking.The rust effect was also made up from the powders,and i buy cotton buds in bulk quantities :)

• Informative 1

What's the ballast in your autoballasters made of?

It's just a bog standard bag of ballast i picked up in marks Jb.I mixed up some pva and water and spread it with a syringe and then let it harden.The colour of the ballast wasn't great so i made up the grey with powders and brushed on,then sealed with matt varnish.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I didn`t get much done over christmas.I had planned to finish of the remainder of the cement wagons but it was getting a bit repetitive so i didn`t bother in the end.I`ve got stuck back into them the last couple of weeks so im just about done now,but here are some small bits that i`ve being doing in between.First up its a 00 kit that makes 2 portacabins.These can be used individually or stacked whichever suites.The other is some 1:76 scale transits from Oxford Diecast.I`ve kept 2 white and just added Eircom decals,the other 2 ive sprayed and added ESB decals,the ladders were made up from the spares box.I`ve a fair few containers now which ive been picking up here and there so ive weathered a 20ft as well just to see how it looked.jason pics 131.jpg

jason pics 133.jpg

jason pics 139.jpg

jason pics 143.jpg

jason pics 144.jpg

jason pics 219.jpg

jason pics 221.jpg

jason pics 222.jpg

jason pics 223.jpg

jason pics 129.jpg

jason pics 130.jpg

• Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...

Heres a couple of new additions that ive gotten recently.229 was birthday present from the other half a few weeks ago,ive just been adding the detail to the front this afternoon,i think it always makes a big difference to the appearance of the loco.I havent made up my mind if im going to weather it yet or not.I also picked up this kit from SSM ,i havent tried anything in brass before now so im itching to make a start on this.jason pics 229.jpg

jason pics 237.jpg

jason pics 239.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bit of progress with the SSM level crossing.I know it was probably better to tackle this by soldering it,but i used super glue instead which seems to have worked fine.Its been primed and had a couple of coats of white so im going to start on the main paint job over the weekend.jason pics 242.jpg

• Informative 1

The four together are Bachmann twin packs which were produced for marks models,the one on its own is a railtrack re spray with SSM decals.

very nice work Jason , any chance of a photo of the resprayed one ?

I have a few railtrack ones I want to respray.

Is one generator wagon plus 3 others the correct configuration ?

3-4 to 1 seems to be the correct ratio 6:2 etc. We spoke about this a little while back in another thread. Seem like a maximum of 6 without a second generator and that seems rare

Any footage I've seen seems to be spot on with what DiveController has said.6 or more standards and its 2 generators.I'll post a picture of the 2 railtrack if i get a chance later.

• Like 1