Jason's Workbench

Rate this topic

JasonB

Jason, those wagons and the paint job are absolutely superb. Hat's off to you. What do you use to seal them after painting.

Noel

Thanks Noel much appreciated.Ive sealed them with Humbrol acrylic matt varnish.Ive also used Revell enamel varnish from the airbrush in the past but personally i just find the aerosol handier,saves cleaning the airbrush afterwards.

Jason that's some mega work you've nailed there, as for the LR's we've had some of them up our way very recently putting some poles back up!!! But they we'nt anything as clean as yours..... Those oil tanks look mega, mind telling me what are those SSM kits held on with, solder or glue, TIA

BTB

Jason that's some mega work you've nailed there, as for the LR's we've had some of them up our way very recently putting some poles back up!!! But they we'nt anything as clean as yours..... Those oil tanks look mega, mind telling me what are those SSM kits held on with, solder or glue, TIA

BTB

Hi BTB,the SSM kit was constructed and attached using super glue.Cheers for the comments.

• 7 months later...

Not got much done of late so before starting anything new its back to a post from early January and to some work I had started on my bagged cement wagons from Irish Freight Models.At the time I had got as far as cutting the bodies down to sort a small issue I had with their height,taken off the plastic hand wheels which are located on one end of the wagon and had also removed the buffers and replaced them with the chunkier looking white metal type.

Anyway I've recently got back around to finishing them off so here's a few pics of them now completed with some weathering and additional detail added which I've made up from plasticard and SSM break wheels/wire.

100_1289.jpg

100_1311.jpg

100_1309.jpg

100_1307.jpg

100_1303.jpg

100_1305.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, craven1508 said:

some job done there!=D, just picture them with a well weathered 121 when they arrive!!!!!

Thanks Craven :tumbsup:

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, ttc0169 said:

Lovely work ,very realistic looking wagons, well done Jason.:tumbsup:

Cheers Noel :tumbsup:

I can understand where you are coming from in terms of height of the wagon side but, in so doing, you have changed the appearance of the side, as per this. It is always the problem when things are made too big, everything gets stretched, so when you cut down to get the size right, some of the detail goes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=irish+cement+wagons&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJj67844zXAhUEXBoKHezJCI0Q_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=HAzGfDL6iwNiiM:

Stephen

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, StevieB said:

I can understand where you are coming from in terms of height of the wagon side but, in so doing, you have changed the appearance of the side, as per this. It is always the problem when things are made too big, everything gets stretched, so when you cut down to get the size right, some of the detail goes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=irish+cement+wagons&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJj67844zXAhUEXBoKHezJCI0Q_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=HAzGfDL6iwNiiM:

Stephen

What I lost in detail is miniscule compared to what I gained in correcting their height.It's certainly nothing I'll be losing any sleep over, life is a little short for that.But that's just my opinion.

• 4 months later...

I was two days into this when IRM announced that they plan to release the Plough Van as one of their future projects :D So more than likely these will eventually end up in a siding but as the saying goes I've started so I'll finish.Like anything I've previously tried from SSM, Des has made it as easy as he possibly can for anyone building one of his kits so it has gone together without any hassle so far.

Before I tackle getting the roof on I've added some plasticard to the interior of the veranda just to bulk up the appearance of the uprights a little, and I've also added some bracing to the central section to help keep everything rigid.

100_1254.JPG

100_1281.JPG

100_1317.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

On 4/3/2018 at 11:22 AM, jason brady said:

I was two days into this when IRM announced that they plan to release the Plough Van as one of their future projects :D So more than likely these will eventually end up in a siding but as the saying goes I've started so I'll finish.Like anything I've previously tried from SSM, Des has made it as easy as he possibly can for anyone building one of his kits so it has gone together without any hassle so far.

Before I tackle getting the roof on I've added some plasticard to the interior of the veranda just to bulk up the appearance of the uprights a little, and I've also added some bracing to the central section to help keep everything rigid.

Nice job Jason.  Looking great.