Sign in to follow this  
jason brady

Jason's Workbench

Finally got around to finishing off the SSM plough vans during the week. You'll probably notice from the plough underneath that I had made a start on weathering these, but then decided to leave it at that. Reason being, I have my pack ordered from IRM and thought it made more sense to hold off and do a job on them as they will be running with my Ballast Wagons eventually. Anyway here's a couple of pics of the now completed vans.

100_1414.JPG

100_1408.JPG

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

Oh they are just stunning Jason. That must be one of the best ever jobs done on those SSM Plough kits, if not the best. That looks like factory RTR quality, so crisp, so sharp, just delightful.

bow.gif

Jason, did you use solder or superglue? Any in build pics? Noel

20 hours ago, Noel said:

Jason, did you use solder or superglue? Any in build pics? Noel

Cheers Noel, thanks for the kind words.I used the old reliable superglue.The joins were given a rub down with a very fine sandpaper before gluing. I've used it previously on other brass kits and have had no issues afterwards. Famous last words, they'll probably fall to bits now after saying that :) 

They both look very nice and well put together. But they will need a bit of dirt. :tumbsup:

When I first built these cement wagons about 3 years ago I made one of the worst mistakes you probably can when modelling and rushed them, resulting in a lot of wobbling and sometimes derailing when running. Obviously the badly built chassis' were behind the running issues so about two months back I decided to start on a new batch and sort the problem once and for all. While I was working away on the building the new chassis' I took the chance to tidy up parts of the weathering and paintwork on the bodies which was another thing I hadn't been happy with, and I've also added some extra detail to both ends of each wagon by using plasticard and SSM break wheels and wire.

None of this is by any means 100% accurate but I think it represents the framework and hand wheels from the prototype quite well and certainly adds to the appearance of the model.

The chassis' still need some weathering applied to blend top with bottom but that's a job for another day, main thing is their now running smoothly.

100_1207.JPG

100_1469.JPG

100_1470.JPG

100_1483.JPG

100_1480.JPG

100_1488.JPG

• Like 3
  • WOW! 2

Class job. Super looking wagons. Precise neat work. 

• Thanks 1