Fenit Pier - Railway

Rate this topic

Was down in Fenit last summer and interested to see the remnants of the railway.

Fenit Pier at sunset last August - Railway tracks are still on the pier as are parts of the old station complex in the village

840bb719dfb71f39059b4a4871e340bd.jpg

Tracks are still on the pier

DSC_7712.jpg

The Pier during the day

aa784da343323f98051e3ff07540b46e.jpg

Giant bronze statue of "Brendan the Navigator" point across the seas to the americas

DSC_7699.jpg

View of Fenit harbour, the pier and the village in the background. You can just imagine freight being loaded directly from trains onto ships on the harbour quay wall. Fenit harbour is still used to tranship some of the largest cranes in the world form the nearby "Leibherr" factories to sites all around the world.

DSC_7693.jpg

They are planning to use the old track bed to Tralee as a cycle greenway https://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com

The Wanderers photos of Fenit Branch The Fenit and North Kerry Line starts with an end on junction with the railway line to Mallow at Tralee. This is Edward Street level crossing looking at the station and former signal box. Sat 17.11.12

There will be photos of Fenit Pier in colour in a forthcoming book..... including a steam crane in action on the pier.....

JB, any idea whatever became of the steam cranes? I seem to recall reading that at least one was supposed to be put on static display in the area at some point. Obviously, that plan never came to fruition!

Don't know, Garfield. It would be nice if one had survived, but I was at a meeting today in Belfast in which one detail of some non-railway related stuff was the proposed restoration of one of the surviving - and very similar - ones from Belfast docks.

That sounds interesting! Cosmetic restoration only, I assume?

They'd be more along the lines of one of these...

2i8akk1.jpg

(Steam Cranes - geograph.org.uk - 445452" by Thomas Nugent. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Commons)

Funding permitting, full restoration.

Excellent! And what of its sister?

Edited by Garfield

The Fenit (and Belfast) cranes weren't really like any of those - different design again.

"What of it's sister?"........ actually, BOTH sisters have survived. All three are now in the care of the Titanic Trust, one of whose officers I met today at a meeting about canal restoration in the north. The intention is to retain all three, with the best selected for preservation, and the other two being cannibalised if necessary.

The Fenit (and Belfast) cranes weren't really like any of those - different design again.

Indeed, photo intended as a general idea. ;)

Handy having two spares on hand to provide donor parts!

Edit: Photo of two of the Belfast cranes - http://www.titanic-titanic.com/pic/article_pix/Titanic7.jpg

Edited by Garfield