Young blood

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Seeing Anthony's thread on 'needing more talent' struck a cord with me in another way. I read a lot of US and UK forums who bemoan the lack of young blood coming into the hobby, as kids go into the world of playstations and other hobbies. I was wondering if the same was true here? I was obsessed with computer games as a lad, but I think if you've got a love for trains then you can have that as a hobby too. I think humans are a bit more complex than that.

So, I am not a spring chicken anymore but I am yet to hit the 30s, I know Garfield is around the same age as myself and then there's Baby GM and 201 Bhoy (I think) who are also flying the flag for younger people in the hobby. Is the outlook good still for future generations or should we be doing more to get young blood involved?

Seeing Anthony's thread on 'needing more talent' struck a cord with me in another way. I read a lot of US and UK forums who bemoan the lack of young blood coming into the hobby, as kids go into the world of playstations and other hobbies. I was wondering if the same was true here? I was obsessed with computer games as a lad, but I think if you've got a love for trains then you can have that as a hobby too. I think humans are a bit more complex than that.

So, I am not a spring chicken anymore but I am yet to hit the 30s, I know Garfield is around the same age as myself and then there's Baby GM and 201 Bhoy (I think) who are also flying the flag for younger people in the hobby. Is the outlook good still for future generations or should we be doing more to get young blood involved?

I would imagine with the availability of Hornby and Bachmann sets as opposed to 30/40 years ago younger people should be more pulled into to model railways but for model Irish railways it's not as good a story, this isn't because of availability or lack of sets ,but in my opinion because of how the railways have changed here.

Up until 5 years ago young people would be attracted to Model railways mostly because of the feeling and excitement of being around the older engine as opposed to plastic railcars nowadays which haven't a hope of reaching an age to be called old

I suppose only people on 'the outside' might be able to answer this question

I started my first layout when I was 13 or 14 and have moved onto my second (long way from being finished) and haven't lost the train bug yet, despite 'other interests' but you're making me feel old now and i'm only 22!:D:D

Last year I built a sort of Demo layout for a vintage club field day.

It went down a storm with both Adults and kids alike.And while the

Layout was basic and built quickly,people that normally would not

see any model railway layout let alone a Irish one with Irish stock

were stunned to see locos and stock they remember as kids.

Education of the public for our hobby is important as the most common

question in where the feck can you get all this Irish stock.

I building a new unit that will slot into Gerrys unused Ballybeg and hope

To show at the next vintage day in September .

I think there is a more positive attitude to the hobby and modelling these days, its more acceptable for teenagers and grow men to be playing with model cars, trains and planes than when I was growing up

Our two and a half year old daughter operates the remote control for her our own battery powered train and sends of the 17:30 departure most eveningings otherwise there is hell to pay :D

John

I presume there is a financial aspect to this as-well. For a younger person who may only have pocket money or a summer job paying 165 for a loco is a massive outlay. Heck even for people in full time employment its a large outlay, I can tax my car for 3 months for that:((. While bachmann and Hornby starter sets may represent excellent value for money progressing beyond this things can get rather expensive.

I presume there is a financial aspect to this as-well. For a younger person who may only have pocket money or a summer job paying 165 for a loco is a massive outlay. Heck even for people in full time employment its a large outlay, I can tax my car for 3 months for that:((. While bachmann and Hornby starter sets may represent excellent value for money progressing beyond this things can get rather expensive.

My car tax is nearly twice that for 3 months :mad:

My interest in model railways goes back to when I was 8, my Dad built a model railway in is workshop. It was dismantled a few years later when we moved house.

My Dad passed away a two years later and I lost interest. I have always been interested in steam and was an active member in the Dublin society of model engineers till my late teens. My Father was a member and I followed. They made from scratch full live steam 5" and 3 1/2" gauge steam locos. I loved it. A friend of mine collects full size steam traction engines who now lives in the States.

I started my model railway six months ago at the age of 44, I had wanted to build one for years. So I bought a starter set and quickly grew out of it. My locos are all British purely out of sentimental value as my Dad had the same years before.

I found this site and now i want to start modelling in Irish, I now want to build a new layout in the attic which is over 20mtrs long as I live in a bungalow. Its a big space which i need to convert first before building the layout. This project will take years, the plan is a layout from Dublin to Wexford running both sides of the attic and around the back in a U shape.

So I'm hooked! I can't see myself without a model railway from here on!

Speaking of young blood. I was in my Dads during the week and he was clearing out some clutter and he came across some Railway Modeller mags dating back to the late 80's and some Beet wagons I built during my early teens. They have warped a bit over time being in a loft for 27 years takes it's toll on plasticard due to differing changes in temperature.

I always had a fascination for beet trains and they were the first wagons I ever scratch built. I have a new design in mind for the wagons that I will build for the layout using half round strip from Evergreen for the corrugations.

Rich,

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

• WOW! 1

Interesting points lads, good to hear the outlook is so bright for the future despite a few hurdles.

I would imagine with the availability of Hornby and Bachmann sets as opposed to 30/40 years ago younger people should be more pulled into to model railways but for model Irish railways it's not as good a story, this isn't because of availability or lack of sets ,but in my opinion because of how the railways have changed here.

Up until 5 years ago young people would be attracted to Model railways mostly because of the feeling and excitement of being around the older engine as opposed to plastic railcars nowadays which haven't a hope of reaching an age to be called old

I suppose only people on 'the outside' might be able to answer this question

That's an interesting point, but when steam was on the way out in the 60s many people feared the worst that the new order of diesels and electics would see the death of the hobby. Thankfully this wasn't the case and when the Deltics left the rails back in 82s the crowds was reportedly three times bigger than when steam made it's last run in the UK. I think some do find railcars interesting and will look back with what they grew up with some fondness. You wont catch me being one of them though! ;)

[quote=Warbonnet;6 I think some do find railcars interesting and will look back with what they grew up with some fondness. You wont catch me being one of them though! ;)

I'd imagine railcar enthusiasts are rare enough

Certainly not one here either :D

I'd imagine railcar enthusiasts are rare enough

Certainly not one here either :D

For those that consider railcars too exciting there is always the BRUT station trolley SIG in the UK http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/11-truck.htm :banana:

I think the whole attitude to model railways and modelling has improved since I was growing up at a time railways were considered to be finished and there was something distinctly odd about teenagers let alone grown men playing with train sets.

These days I find work colleagues a lot more open about their hobbies these days its not considered odd for someone to support the All-Blacks, The Warriors and be involved in some or several forms of modelling or collecting. Mind you each society has its own hang ups despite the relative success of the All Whites soccer players are considered a bit odd.:rolleyes:

Going on to the Alpha generation our two and half year old daughter has mastered the remote control for her own battery powered model train and there is hell to play if she does not get to send off the 17:30 when I get home from work in the evening.

John

Edited by Mayner

I'm 28 and have been interested in railway modelling since the age of four!!

The biggest problem I find is not funding but space. I've loads of models, just no place to put a layout.

If you are young and want a decent job in this country you have to uproot to Dublin away from family and friends and pay an extortionate amount of rent for a tiny little apartment that has no space for a railway and the neighbours complain if you do anything "weird". Playing the piano between 6 and 8pm is apparently disturbing noise.

I was actually going to start building t-gauge Irish models before I lost my job recently, just so I could actually have some models in my apartment.

Looks like I'm going to have to live in Dubland again for my next job too :(.

As for me I'm returning to this hobby after 20+ years, but have been an avid sci-fi modeller and wargamer for most of those years. My first train set was a good old Lima freight set with a class 55! I got that when I was about 10 or 11 but I lost interest after a couple of years.

My own kids love the fact that Dad "plays with trains" and they love running my layout but they soon get bored and have no interest in actually helping with any construction. Oh, but they do constantly ask "is it finished yet?" so I know they're interested to some extent...

The biggest problem I find is not funding but space. I've loads of models, just no place to put a layout.

If you are young and want a decent job in this country you have to uproot to Dublin away from family and friends and pay an extortionate amount of rent for a tiny little apartment that has no space for a railway and the neighbours complain if you do anything "weird". Playing the piano between 6 and 8pm is apparently disturbing noise.

I was actually going to start building t-gauge Irish models before I lost my job recently, just so I could actually have some models in my apartment.

Despite being a Dub, I have been there a number of times myself moved to the UK in the 1980s when there was no work to be had in Dublin, returned 10 years later when there was no work in the UK, moved continents 10 years later this time when I simply wanted a change and did not want to get caught out in the next recession.

The first move was fine a new adventure, the move back to Ireland was more difficult as you simply cannot pick up where you had left offbesides each time there are a lot more models to move.

Much the same with lack of space exen when I got my own place, probably the best approach is to join a club get inolved in working on a layout and meet people for whom wierd is normal.

John

Hey purple, welcome aboard!

As Bosk can testify, I can barely swing a cat in my tiny house. My only possibility is a 4 x 1 foot IKEA shelf for some dockside shunting action :(( but Chris Nevard and others have shown that small can be sublime and operationally fun. I'd love to have the space for the dream layout but the thoughts of weeks on end of ballasting track, wiring, cleaning track, landscaping gives me the goolies. And don't worry about the neighbours in Dublin, most would barely care if you were dead or alive!

Richie.

To add my tuppence worth, got my first proper set at 12 (had a hornby clockwork tin version when I was 3) moved onto Dungeons and Dragons at 15 followed shortly after by drugs, sex and rock and roll (otherwise known as schooldiscos, beer and bass playing with a Horslips Tribute band).

Rediscovered the hobby 6 years ago and here we are now.

The only thing I see stopping young fellahs from indulging in the hobby is that for most of us OFOFs (oul' f@rts over 40) building Airfix kits and the like was as commonplace as playing X-Box is now. Airfix in the 60's and 70's sold MILLIONS of kits. And us OFOFs got a gradual progression of skills from yer basic Spitfire, via a B17 up to a 450 piece HMS Victory or a 24th scale Stuka. Most kids now put that discipline and time consumption into 10 levels of Assassin's Guild but yet would probably baulk at working on a model for the same amount of time.

Having said that, it is great to see more than a few younger members on the forum!

Edited by Weshty

I started collecting trains when I was seven, a year later I got a lima 201. I bought another lima 201 and executive coaches in a garden centre with my communion money but I never had any interest or knowledge of building a proper layout so I lost interest in the hobby after a while. seven years on I opened a railway modelling magazine to find ads for 141s, 181s, cravens, mk2as, mk2ds and a 201s on the way. Two months later I bought a 141 class and I have been hooked ever since. No room for a decent layout though:mad:. No doubt that money is definitely an issue. No one can employ me until I turn sixteen so I'm making the money up for the 071s by cutting hedges and lawns on a stretch of the former Kilkenny to Portlaoise line which is part of the grandad's garden. Everyone I have shown my models to whether they are 3 or 16 or 80 have always shown alot of interest. I hope that there are more young people out there who will carry on this hobby in the future. But with no doubt with the releases of all the Irish models so far that there will be plenty of "young blood" in the hobby.

=))
Langers. I did build it myself. :((

I got into the hobby aged 6. Ryan's Decorating on Patrick St. in Limerick had solvite, wallpaper etc. and trains in the window. Mesmerised I was. Got a Class 33 with 3 coaches from Satan Claws, and on Christmas Day it was assembled. It kept falling off the track so my aul' fella decided to cut all the coaches in threes, so they could navigate the circle of track. Devastated I was. Still haven't forgiven him:(

10 year later on exchange in northern Spain & chasing skirt I saw an old shoe shop with a mother and child staring in the window. Same thing, a roundy roundy with shoes all over the place. Mesmerised all over again.

Moral of the story - Give or show a child a loco and let them drive it. Even for half an hour, and it's gotcha for life. I'm an avid gamer and can happily find time for both. I can't afford either 201's, 071's nor autoballasters. But I'll do the same I did growing up, I'll hack, slash, scratchbuild, and cut n' shut to achieve what I want. Maybe the aul fella taught me a valuable life lesson after all :confused:

Richie.

I started collecting trains when I was seven, a year later I got a lima 201. I bought another lima 201 and executive coaches in a garden centre with my communion money but I never had any interest or knowledge of building a proper layout so I lost interest in the hobby after a while. seven years on I opened a railway modelling magazine to find ads for 141s, 181s, cravens, mk2as, mk2ds and a 201s on the way. Two months later I bought a 141 class and I have been hooked ever since. No room for a decent layout though:mad:. No doubt that money is definitely an issue. No one can employ me until I turn sixteen so I'm making the money up for the 071s by cutting hedges and lawns on a stretch of the former Kilkenny to Portlaoise line which is part of the grandad's garden. Everyone I have shown my models to whether they are 3 or 16 or 80 have always shown alot of interest. I hope that there are more young people out there who will carry on this hobby in the future. But with no doubt with the releases of all the Irish models so far that there will be plenty of "young blood" in the hobby.

FairPlay to you for working hard to save up for the 071s.

You may not have a layout at the moment but it is a good

idea to collect as much as you can as perhaps in the future

you may have your own house to have a proper layout.

Money's an issue for me too mate :) I had to go without the sausages when I was out with my mates for fish and chips the other day so I would have enough for the last point!