Extracts from old Working Timetables

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

On this thread, I'm planning to post occasional extracts from WTTs in order to show how the railways actually worked in the past.

The intention is that this may assist modellers who wish to recreate authentic train operation practices, and to assist in showing what facilities would be needed in a model station, particularly for goods traffic.

It's 40 years today since the Loughrea line closed, so let's start with that, and while this extract is from 1967, it's much the same as any year in the line's entire history!

image.jpg

From 1977.

In latter years, CIE / IE tended to carry pages and pages and pages of stuff not related to timetables at all; in fact for some years now they are not really "timetables" at all - they are highly detailed technical manuals for all aspects of operating the railway, timetables forming just one part.

Some of those from the seventies and eighties contain information like what follows, of potentials to modellers, such as the positioning of containers of various sizes on bogie wagons.

Wagon number sequences appear in the 1970s.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The old North Kerry goods features here; mid seventies. In the passenger world, "supertrain" liveried Mk 2 coaches (or, as universally known then, "air conditioned coaches"), shared tracks (but not train sets) with the odd remaining Bredin, laminates of all types, Cravens and Park Royals in black'n'tan.

Locos were a mix - about half are still black'n'tan, the rest orange and black "supertrain" style. Only the "E" class are by now all black.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A lot of activity in and around what nowadays seems to be Cork Halt and Luas depot....

image.jpg

Dublin was also busy. Much of the inner city workings had "E" and "A" classes up front.

Don't forget that for anything goods-related prior to, say, 1977 (from which year the following extracts were taken), standard CIE brake vans are all over the place. Everywhere there'll be a couple kicking about in sidings....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Having added some wtts to my collection, I can attest to their value. It nearly brings a tear to my eye too see what we have lost. In my view the transistion period around 1972+ Was very interesting , still loose coupled , but also the more special function wagons appearing .

My own memories of travelling in guards vans on beet trains and in the cab of some dolomite trains brings me back in time when I look at WTTs.

• Like 1

Do, did operating staff refer to a train by it number or by time-direction and destination?

The Weekly Notices and the Appendix to the Working Timetable were a real mine of information, for special and engineers trains, temporary speed limits and other information. One included operating instuctions for loading and unloading Pallet Cement wagons including an isometric drawing

image.jpg

Further to my earlier posts, herewith some information hopefully of interest.

I have included 1986 Connolly - Rosslare (for Dave182; I've nothing later than that!), plus for Stephen I have Limerick - Rosslare from 1951 (with 1c coin), 1959 (with 10c coin), and some other stuff from 1967 (with 1c and 10c coins). This will include Limerick - Sligo and Dublin - Westport, for junctionmad's request about Claremorris. There's also a Claremorris - Ballinrobe timetable in there.

So here goes. This first lot are all 1986.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jhb171achill

TRY AS I MIGHT, I CAN'T GET THESE WRETCHED THINGS TO APPEAR THE RIGHT WAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post this last batch and then I'm going for a pint. Hoping to pick up a model of 800 tonight.

See my notes in a number of earlier posts explaining why I'm posting these, and what the coins mean..... denoting different years.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's 1963. Green UTA railcars are now getting their "wasp" stripes, as ex-GNR AEC and BUT cars rule the roost on the ex-GNR sections, while noisy, badly ventilated, rattly MED cars convey the long-suffering to Bangor. A few ex GNR locos still grace Adelaide, a badly weathered faded blue 207 among them.

Jeeps and Moguls are still to the fore on the old NCC, now Ireland's steamiest location. Old GNR and NCC coaching stock are to be seen on both sections, many distinctly past their best.

Goods traffic is still busy, but lacks the modernisation showing in CIE goods trains. The UTA has, of course, an agenda; they'll eliminate it all in two years from now.

MPD railcars have come of age, but in all their varied forms remain where they will spend their life - almost entirely on the NCC lines.

Sleek new grey 121s appear the odd time with sleek new laminates intermingled with repainted ex-GNR coaches on the "Enterprise". The brighter CIE green is now giving way to a bold new livery; the black'n'tan era has arrived, even as the UTA still has 2 or 3 bogie coaches in traffic still in GNR brown.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Twilight of the BCDR, six-wheeled heaven. I think they only ever owned about half a dozen bogie coaches, and they spent most of their time on the Bangor line.

To keep their own six-wheelers company, in the 1910s / 20s they even also hired in half a food six-wheeled thirds each from the GNR and the MGWR....

A year after this timetable, the UTA (the UnderTAker) had taken over. Track was about to become forgotten weeds.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg