Nostalgia for bygone clackety clack rail sounds

Rate this topic

Noel

Does anybody miss or remember the old "clackety clack" wheel/rail joint sounds travelling on mainline passenger trains before welded rails were introduced back in the late 70s? It had a sort of hypnotic effect making one a bit drowsy after a while on longer train trips. It's a pity DCC sound chips don't have a spare channel for it matching the loco speed to the frequency of 'clacks'

Does anybody miss or remember the old "clackety clack" wheel/rail joint sounds travelling on mainline passenger trains before welded rails were introduced back in the late 70s? It had a sort of hypnotic effect making one a bit drowsy after a while on longer train trips. It's a pity DCC sound chips don't have a spare channel for it matching the loco speed to the frequency of 'clacks'

A sound familiar up until the early 2000s in some areas. No need for DCC sound, though... it's already replicated thanks to the rail joints on model track. And for those using long lengths of handbuilt or flexi track, just do what the late Tony Miles did on 'Adavoyle' a cut notches into the rail surface. :)

yes and no, my worst memory of them was a trip " inside the iron curtain, many years ago " on a sleeper train, I was over the bogie and the racket from ail joints and braking kept me awake for the whole 10 hour trip.

The primary reason I used to sleep on Limerick to Waterford trips as a student in the 70s , was the massive temperatures from the steam heating , I often woke up in campile or wellington bridge !!!!, especially on old laminates with dynamos ,and the lights wouldn't be working.! darkness and heat ……...

Edited by Junctionmad

yes and no, my worst memory of them was a trip " inside the iron curtain, many years ago " on a sleeper train, I was over the bogie and the racket from ail joints and braking kept me awake for the whole 10 hour trip.

The primary reason I used to sleep on Limerick to Waterford trips as a student in the 70s , was the massive temperatures from the steam heating , I often woke up in campile or wellington bridge !!!!, especially on old laminates with dynamos ,and the lights wouldn't be working.! darkness and heat ……...

I suspect the maze of parallel telegraph wires rising up and down and the poles whipping past added to the drowsy hypnotic effect if looking out the window at cows, etc. :)

Noel,

I have incorporated the clackety-clack on a number of Loksound soundchips 141/071 etc. The sound clip is available at the ESU website.

Noel,

I have incorporated the clackety-clack on a number of Loksound soundchips 141/071 etc. The sound clip is available at the ESU website.

Excellent - very interesting. Was the recording from inside a coach, outside via window, or line side of a passing train? Three very different sounds.

Excellent - very interesting. Was the recording from inside a coach, outside via window, or line side of a passing train? Three very different sounds.

From the sounds of it I'd say it was recorded from lineside.

You can hear it in the second half of this video...

The rate at which the sound plays automatically adjusts to the speed of the loco.