800 model

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a superb build, hat's off to the builder.

One issue JB -

... Therefore, for anyone wanting the correct pre-1955 carriage green, or CIE bus or (occasional) steam locomotive green, or what the B113 and D class were originally painted in, there ye go. Same paint is on 800, though ignore the UFTM's incorrect "G S" lettering on the tender.

Whas da story, man! :P

Good question, Glenderg.

The green on the model is GSR green, as you'll see somewhat lighter than CIE's, and with a slight bluish tint. The lining is yellow and black, with G S lettering and crest, as it ought to be in Cultra. CIE painted the one in Cultra, and in their own green with their own black and white (not yellow) lining. Thus, the one in Cultra should instead have a flying snail.

The inaccuracy in the real 800 is that it's in CIE livery with GSR markings.

A 4.6.0, DiveController! :-)

(Running for cover.....!)

Seriously though.... the whole thing came with the kit.

That's right. Sorry, I forgot everything could be purchased with Weshty's kit. Asked David to do one for me a very long time ago but didn't have the time. now I know why, he's been working on yours!:((

Lovely model she looks smashing!

Now that is what I call a genuine quality build and a proper model. The precision and resolution of the model is quite simply in a league of its own. Hats of to the builder, and best wishes to the new owner. It looks so pleasing to the eye. Would love to see a video of it running some day.

Yes, John, that's a very fine engine and a credit to David. The green looks pretty good to me - you could hold it against Drew's model at Cultra? HE probably used the original paint - these senior men did that sort of thing!

Now .....

Have you got ten Bredins to run behind it?

If you haven't, bring it over to Surrey and I'll loan you ten GN coaches to hang behind it and we'll hammer it round my loft!!!!

Great stuff.

Leslie

The green on mine is the GSR variety, Leslie. Drew painted almost all of his models in the (darker) CIE green, as on the real 800 in Cultra. Drew had a great liking for CIE green and painted everything that way, bar a MGWR loco which he rid in MGWR green.

With ten GNR coaches it would look like the 1950s Cork "Enterprise"!

Edited by jhb171achill

".....JB, instead of being the whole GNR set worked through to Cork, am I right in saying it was a single coach worked across to Heuston and attached to a CIE rake?....."

I had always thought it was the whole set, UP. I've certainly seen a picture of what appears to be a full GNR set in Cork. There was a diner on it - though to be fair that could have been a CIE one. You're making me think; I'd need to check! Assumptions can be dangerous.....!

".....JB, instead of being the whole GNR set worked through to Cork, am I right in saying it was a single coach worked across to Heuston and attached to a CIE rake?....."

I had always thought it was the whole set, UP. I've certainly seen a picture of what appears to be a full GNR set in Cork. There was a diner on it - though to be fair that could have been a CIE one. You're making me think; I'd need to check! Assumptions can be dangerous.....!

I saw a piece of film showing no.406 arriving at Limerick Jct with an entire GNR set,a strange looking spectacle.

I saw a piece of film showing no.406 arriving at Limerick Jct with an entire GNR set,a strange looking spectacle.

I stand corrected!

I can imagine it was strange, I'd love to see that piece or film. What years did the Cork service run? Just wondering if any A class haulage may have featured!

Oh and it would be rude to comment yet again without saying, lovely model JB, really top class