800 model

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
The extra railing, gsr800, was on one of the trio for some of the time; cryptic question - which one and when?

Answers on a postcard?

Disputes will be adjudicated by me grandfather. Who's got a shovel in Mount Jerome?

All three were given an extra hand railing above the original one, Meadbh and Macha got them in about 1944-5 With the smokebox dart. Tailte was fitted about 1949 with the smokebox handle, and maebh and macha were given handles also. For the 1949 centenary they were given extra railings to hold them up, but macha and Tailte retained them, until they were scrapped, Meabh's disappeared, or might have never even been fitted.

....One of the three had some extra bits and pieces on the front too for a while, but I don't know why....

I did wonder whether the vertical / slanted handrails were used as mounts to carry headboards for official visits, e.g. the Papal Nuncio. It seems to have been an expedient solution to a temporary problem, and aesthetics never got a look in.

I did wonder whether the vertical / slanted handrails were used as mounts to carry headboards for official visits, e.g. the Papal Nuncio. It seems to have been an expedient solution to a temporary problem, and aesthetics never got a look in.

There's a pic floating around with all three 800's together in one place (Cork iirc) with these headboards and flags in place. Could find it with a little rummaging...

Did an 800 ever do Radio Train duty? Saw an advertising poster which suggested they did, but may be a flight of fancy by the artist.

There's a pic floating around with all three 800's together in one place (Cork iirc) with these headboards and flags in place......

Here's a picture from Mike Morant's photo site, showing 801 with the headboards:

Ireland_CIE_801_AJ0438-M.jpg

The shape of the boards exactly matches the run of the extra handrails.

There is another one of 802 in CIE markings with exactly the same handrail runs on the smokebox door. It looks as though they were applied and never removed, with the exception of no.800. 802 was apparently withdrawn and cut up by about 1957/58, so she may have gone to her grave still bearing the handrails.

Edited by Horsetan

There's a pic floating around with all three 800's together in one place (Cork iirc) with these headboards and flags in place. Could find it with a little rummaging...

Did an 800 ever do Radio Train duty? Saw an advertising poster which suggested they did, but may be a flight of fancy by the artist.

I would love to see that pic!

I'm not sure if any of the 800s ever worked the radio train. The 800s as CIEs largest and most powerful locos would have been seen in a lot of advertising. It was that or some work worn J15. Of course once the As arrived they became the advertising locos

I would love to see that pic!

I'm not sure if any of the 800s ever worked the radio train. The 800s as CIEs largest and most powerful locos would have been seen in a lot of advertising. It was that or some work worn J15. Of course once the As arrived they became the advertising locos

I have a good idea where to look, think it appeared on 'Nuacht' at one stage.

The 400's/500's and Woolwiches did a lot of Radio Train haulage. The 800's were the 'pin-up girls' in steam era advertising, even for Tramore or West Cork excursions!

Also, they printed the locos arseways, if you see any have a close look...smokebox doors are hinged t'other way round.

Saw a CIE handbill once that had an LMS Jubilee(!) I kid you not, masquerading as a CIE Radio Train loco.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Some excellent photos there Richie.

Those headboards on Meabh are for some Irish American thing(obviously). Maybe a president?

They also carried headboards, as seen in Horsetans post for the 1849 1949 centenary.

Note the split footplate on 409 and the flush one on 402. 402 was the only one with a fully flush footplate, after their rebuilding, and was considered the best of the 400s

Does the splasher on 409 look damaged?

Here's a picture from Mike Morant's photo site, showing 801 with the headboards:

Ireland_CIE_801_AJ0438-M.jpg

The shape of the boards exactly matches the run of the extra handrails.

There is another one of 802 in CIE markings with exactly the same handrail runs on the smokebox door. It looks as though they were applied and never removed, with the exception of no.800. 802 was apparently withdrawn and cut up by about 1957/58, so she may have gone to her grave still bearing the handrails.

Man I love that pic. Truly shows the 800s in the prime, doing what they were supposed to do.

As far as I am aware, Tailte carried the extra hand railings to the grave.

It seems that that in the late steam days,CIE focused there attention on Meabh when it came to the 800s,cared for her better. They put single chimneys and red nameplates on macha and Tailte, possibly to make Meabh look more unique.

Just my opinion

Yes, "Maedb" was indeed a lot cleaner, though not at all pristine, in later times. I have never heard any explanations as to why her two sisters had their plates repainted red.

Look at that pic - old six-wheelers (I think GSWR origin) converted for turf traffic in the background....

The entire train behind the loco is old GSWR wooden coaches as far as can be seen - not a "Bredin" or "Park Royal" anywhere......

Edited by jhb171achill

Yes, "Maedb" was indeed a lot cleaner, though not at all pristine, in later times. I have never heard any explanations as to why her two sisters had their plates repainted red.

Look at that pic - old six-wheelers (I think GSWR origin) converted for turf traffic in the background....

The entire train behind the loco is old GSWR wooden coaches as far as can be seen - not a "Bredin" or "Park Royal" anywhere......

I can't be sure if that's the reason, but Meabh was the leader of the class, and was seen as more popular than Macha and Tailte. It certainly looked like the class was changed to make 800 stand out.

The pic would have been taken in 49, before the park royals. But you have said yourself,there was rarely a uniformed rake of coaches until the 70s. Before it was a regular sight to see a train with no two coaches the same!

The pic would have been taken in 49, before the park royals. But you have said yourself,there was rarely a uniformed rake of coaches until the 70s. Before it was a regular sight to see a train with no two coaches the same!

Park Royals yes; I forgot that train was in 1949, but the "Bredins" were built for exactly this type of service between 1933 and 1937, and while a uniform rake was probably never seen, one might expect at least half of that train to be "steels". It's hard to make out the very end vehicles.

Certainly, GSWR stock was still to be seen even on main line trains well into the 1960s, with some reaching into the black'n'tan era.

1508985_10151817172615518_1138197234_n.jpg

Typical CIE poster with 800 class, replaced by an image of A3 and train in similar style in later years.

61467_10151797561045518_1696415693_n.jpg

800 class (top LH corner) travelling through a surreal landscape.

Oddly, I've never seen a GSR poster or other publicity material singing the praises of the 800s, GSR posters were nearly always letterpress, landscapes or a few which could be described as 'ethnographic' in nature.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23107[/ATTACH]

Typical CIE poster with 800 class, replaced by an image of A3 and train in similar style in later years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23108[/ATTACH]

800 class (top LH corner) travelling through a surreal landscape.

Oddly, I've never seen a GSR poster or other publicity material singing the praises of the 800s, GSR posters were nearly always letterpress, landscapes or a few which could be described as 'ethnographic' in nature.

Nice of collection of railway memorabilia there!

You see that both those posters show the loco with a sleek line of (supposedly) Bredin stock behind.

In a TYPICAL train, you'll get something like:

6 wheel GSWR Mail van

Bogie wooden GSWR full brake

Bredin

GSWR wooden dining car

Bredin

GSWR wooden bogie

Bredin

Pullman car

Wooden bogie

Wooden 6-wheel full brake

Horse box maybe...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23107[/ATTACH]

Kind of odd that it illustrates a steamer (with it's sleek line of coaches as previously stated), then advertises "travel by Diesel Train and try the new Buffet Service. FREE CAR PARK AT THESE STATIONS.

I suppose you'd be pressed to find any of these on the passenger network now.

"The new diesel train" would be the first AEC cars about 1950.

Probably the thin end of the wedge, JB. It's still strange that the romanticized 800 train is illustrated but the new 'ugly duckling' (no offense to lovers of railcars intended) is not, mere the efficiency of the new diesels alluded to. Were the new railcars well received by the traveling public then (by comparison with previous opinions on the fora that diesels locomotives were initially perceived as dirty, oily polluting beasts)?

Edited by DiveController

Yes, they were extremely well received. Train travel was then seen by the public as slow, unreliable and dirty.

That being the case, I wonder why locomotive-powered passenger trains persisted at that time versus dumping of nearly every locomotive in the 2000s in favor or railcars. Steam locos like the 800 were replaced by a fleet of diesel locos.