Sulzer Kit

Rate this topic

robbieb

I have no inside knowledge of SSM's business operation, but... that involves a significant outlay in itself and obviously doesn't make economic sense, otherwise I'm sure Des would keep some in stock, as he he does with his etched kits.

+1. In a nutshell, Garfield.

Folks, email me at dzsullivan@eirecom.net with your order and address and I will finalize the price inclusive of p&p.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just after securing an "original run" SSM Sulzer, with the LEDs in it.

The A1A bogie has a 5'3" x 5'3" (or 21mm x 21mm) wheelbase, so that's 10'6" (42mm) overall.

Drivetrain options are a bit mad. Obviously there's the Railroad 55 that's been mentioned earlier. But could the bogies from a Heljan Hymek or Bachmann Warship (42/43) be adapted, since their wheelbase is the correct overall 42mm anyway? The Sulzer "only" needs an unpowered centre axle; can one be run in the middle of the otherwise 4-wheel bogie?

Here's a look at the Heljan Hymek bogie:

IMG_3395_w800.jpg

Edited by Horsetan

Just after securing an "original run" SSM Sulzer, with the LEDs in it.

The A1A bogie has a 5'3" x 5'3" (or 21mm x 21mm) wheelbase, so that's 10'6" (42mm) overall.

Drivetrain options are a bit mad. Obviously there's the Railroad 55 that's been mentioned earlier. But could the bogies from a Heljan Hymek or Bachmann Warship (42/43) be adapted, since their wheelbase is the correct overall 42mm anyway? The Sulzer "only" needs an unpowered centre axle; can one be run in the middle of the otherwise 4-wheel bogie?

Here's a look at the Heljan Hymek bogie:

IMG_3395_w800.jpg

If you can make it fit leave the centre axles out - at normal viewing distances it wont be noticeable that there is a wheelset missing...

I'm still laughing at that suggestion, sure co-co bo-bo , sure tis all the same :D

Well when you make the layout ensure the baseboards are mounted 6 feet off the ground and the onlookers are inches away from them. Otherwise you would never notice at 2-5 feet away that there is an axle missing.....

Anyway the Sulzers were A1A-A1A..........

Hmmm! Well I'm considering putting a Bachmann class 25 bo-bo chassis under an A class body. Its a perfect fit without lengthening or shortening. It'll be a cheat but at least it will run well unlike the Hornby plod, and pass the 2ft rule and closer in stations as the platforms hide the under frames and bogies anyway.

Hmmm! Well I'm considering putting a Bachmann class 25 bo-bo chassis under an A class body. Its a perfect fit without lengthening or shortening. It'll be a cheat but at least it will run well unlike the Hornby plod, and pass the 2ft rule and closer in stations as the platforms hide the under frames and bogies anyway.

Bogie Centres on a Class 25 are 36' 6"

Bogie Centres on an A Class are 37' 7"

Class 25 has two axles.

A Class has 3 axles in a staggered arrangement.

The cast metal chassis on the Class 25 is 190mm long, the required length for an A Class is 180mm.

I wouldn't worry about it passing any 2 foot rule, it's unlikely to work in the first place.

Well when you make the layout ensure the baseboards are mounted 6 feet off the ground and the onlookers are inches away from them. Otherwise you would never notice at 2-5 feet away that there is an axle missing.....

Anyway the Sulzers were A1A-A1A..........

Sure , sure. But I'd know it's wrong. Certain minor details can always be ignored in 4mm. I find it hard to accept that Includes the number of wheels

Sure , sure. But I'd know it's wrong. Certain minor details can always be ignored in 4mm. I find it hard to accept that Includes the number of wheels

Put a fake wheel in the middle with no flange. Airfix did it with many of their kits. You might notice it...at 3 inches and it stationary.

Mind you getting quite pernickity about exactness rather than overall impression feels strange given our 16.5mm track gauge seems as far off scale as perhaps a missing wheel.

When looking at a model train in operation, realistic scale movements seem equally as important as a good looking fine scale model. No use looking 100% perfectly authentic if it moves like a toy, accelerates like a Ferrari and brakes at a scale 4g throwing imaginary passengers against carriage bulk heads when stopping at a station. A good balance between a great looking model that runs well will look the real thing. Can't have one without the other unless its for a display case.

Mind you getting quite pernickity about exactness rather than overall impression feels strange given our 16.5mm track gauge seems as far off scale as perhaps a missing wheel.

When looking at a model train in operation, realistic scale movements seem equally as important as a good looking fine scale model. No use looking 100% perfectly authentic if it moves like a toy, accelerates like a Ferrari and brakes at a scale 4g throwing imaginary passengers against carriage bulk heads when stopping at a station. A good balance between a great looking model that runs well will look the real thing. Can't have one without the other unless its for a display case.

Why not? Murphy Models, to name just one, achieved it.......

Why not? Murphy Models, to name just one, achieved it.......

Yes exactly! :) They excelled in both (i.e. scale appearance + scale running).

I think we got crossed wires. I was referring to some very fine looking kit built models that however run on chassis that do not do them justice (i.e. don't run in a scale like manner).

Yes exactly! :) They excelled in both (i.e. scale appearance + scale running).

I think we got crossed wires. I was referring to some very fine looking kit built models that however run on chassis that do not do them justice (i.e. don't run in a scale like manner).

Yes, that's true. I think the biggest problem is the short length of Irish locos compared to UK locos. The choice of chassis that will fit, or can be easily modified to fit, is very limited.

Hat's off! :) Apologies I meant the many of us who suffer 16.5mm instead of the few revered Irish modellers who use 21mm layouts.

Ah go on. Hardly revered!

Meanwhile, back at the discussion about the Sulzer kit... ;)

Kit is just after arriving. I like the contents already.

Very neat resin body moulding that's just asking for some decent glazing in the screens. Very clean detail etch. The LEDs are tiny!!

Instructions are in Des's usual "house" style, and include four sample three-quarter views of the real things - maybe a photo of the model, with numbers showing where the etch parts go, might be an idea for those who are not fully familiar with the Sulzers; makes life a little more understandable.

Decals are included, though I'll have to ask Des whether he could do up a special sheet of numbers for B103, since "3" "4" and "8" are the digits that are not on the sheet!

Now.....what sort of paint scheme should B103 have.....?