Sulzer Kit

Rate this topic

robbieb

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you getting quite pernickity about exactness rather than overall impression feels strange given our 16.5mm track gauge seems as far off scale as perhaps a missing wheel.

When looking at a model train in operation, realistic scale movements seem equally as important as a good looking fine scale model. No use looking 100% perfectly authentic if it moves like a toy, accelerates like a Ferrari and brakes at a scale 4g throwing imaginary passengers against carriage bulk heads when stopping at a station.

When you go and look at real trains do you it from a 10 storey building or a helicopter? Dont forget Model Trains are exactly that - Model trains. They are not real trains that have been shrunk with a shrinking ray. Sadly in the majority they have electric motors powering them rather than miniature internal combustion/steam engines. All the little people inside are lumps of plastic, they cant open the doors or windows......

A good balance between a great looking model that runs well will look the real thing. Can't have one without the other unless its for a display case.

Given what you said about IFM models and BR 33's/MK1's etc you are really showing up some double standards here.

You have dragged this one well off topic again. As someone who has completed several chassis swops, a few have been missing axles and nobody noticed at normal viewing distance. The models ran and looked fine which is more important. Dont forget too Airfix and Hornby left them out on production models too.

When you go and look at real trains do you it from a 10 storey building or a helicopter? Dont forget Model Trains are exactly that - Model trains. They are not real trains that have been shrunk with a shrinking ray. Sadly in the majority they have electric motors powering them rather than miniature internal combustion/steam engines. All the little people inside are lumps of plastic, they cant open the doors or windows.......

A little unfair. Nothing wrong with striving to get your model trains to run in a prototypical manner. When you bring sound into the equation it becomes much more important to get a loco to run at prototypical speeds.

Given what you said about IFM models and BR 33's/MK1's etc you are really showing up some double standards here.

You have dragged this one well off topic again. As someone who has completed several chassis swops, a few have been missing axles and nobody noticed at normal viewing distance. The models ran and looked fine which is more important. Dont forget too Airfix and Hornby left them out on production models too.

Please, don't start accusing other people of double standards after that statement! You continually criticize manufacturers and their products for incorrect or missing detail yet it's ok for YOU to omit an axle?

I've made versions in every livery, and to my mind, this is the one that works best, but horses for courses and all.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21749[/ATTACH]

Now, that's what I'm talking about! Beautiful detail, Richie! Is this Weshty's? with detail added? What chassis is she on? Thanks

Edited by DiveController

Thanks lads, she runs on a cut down class 55 chassis, loaded up with weight, and ran through 4 short radius points forming a curve at slow speeds. The movement was exhibition standard and that's without DCC.

So can yee please stop talking about using the wrong stuff on a sulzer. The railroad model is 50 notes. It's withering listening to all this. Like a fart in a trousers - all sound, no substance.

R.

I don't think so JB.

I've seen a silver on cork shed, dirty green in the books, various depth tan and white line and chevron or chevron only black and tan schemes, and supertain, even seen me a shark eat an octopus. But I ain't never seen no phantom Russian submarine, I mean a yellow band anywhere.

Oh that's right, you're not. You're one of those "real modellers" who makes something better rather than settling for inferior RTR models.

Missing an axle, but better.....=D

Ah I don't really fancy lowering myself to your own level as you could beat me with experience. Keep thumping the keyboard me aul flower. Thump it harder

I'll leave you with a word - Frateschi