Mystery carriage

Rate this topic

Dhu Varren

On a recent visit to Warrenpoint, I noticed what appeared to be a railway carriage across the water near Omeath.

P10305202.jpg

I then went onto Google Earth, and found said carriage, which turned out to be a grounded coach body, roughly where the trackbed of the old DNGR used to be.

Omeath Coach.jpg

Does anybody have any idea of the origins of this carriage?

That's an ex-GNR 3rd class six wheeler of 1880s vintage. he GNR tended to withdraw 30ft stock before the NCC, GSR companies, or, of course the BCDR. This one (at Gyle's Quay) is one of a number which have been there for years as holiday homes. I suspect it was withdrawn from traffic in the 1940s or thereabouts.

I visited it a while ago, it was being repainted then - I recall the owner said that his father used to live in it.

23033071829_0e0558a3dd_k.jpgGNR 6-Wheeler

There's also a lovely example of a GNR full brake in Blackrock, c.1880s again; any more info on it would be useful. Last wooden full brake in Ireland, perhaps, not including GSWR 69?

23318491301_ca00a886e9_k.jpgGNR Full Brake

Please note that I didn't go around jumping fences into people's back gardens to look at carriages! :ROFL:

There was a GNR third at Ballyroney station in very bad condition until about this time last year

Edited by Jawfin