Mixed gauge

Rate this topic

So the last No. 2 was identical to the one in Cultra.

There doesn't seem to be exact information on when each last worked, or was officially withdrawn, nor whether the Derry dockside railway was perhaps operated y road vehicles after they went?

Does anyone know, for example, definitive information about the last rail=borne movements on this network (narrow or broad gauge?)...

• 5 years later...
On 12/12/2015 at 2:47 PM, Dhu Varren said:

Below is a picture of Derry docks with an arrow showing where I believe the original picture was taken.

Londonderry Quay 5.jpghttp://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/XAW027080

Here are also two pictures of the LPHC locos, No1 in what has to be a posed shot with both broad gauge and narrow gauge wagons behind it, at the entrance to the loco shed. Also No3 taken towards the L&LSR Graving Dock Station further along the quay. Note the offset NG coupling on the buffer beams. Note the rope wound round the buffers of No3, used for dragging wagons into parallel tracks.

LPHC No 3.jpg

LPHC No 1.jpg

I’m working on evolution of track layouts for the CDRJC (and predecessors) and the whole of Derry / Londonderry.  I too am having a great deal of trouble locating that mixed gauge photograph.  Here’s my thinking on the subject, after studying lots of OS plans and photographs, particularly aerial ones.

A158357F-290F-4313-85AD-574CBCDA3049.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Did an article on the LPHC in February 2021 issue of Railway Bylines with maps and some rare photos.

I Googled the magazine (never heard of it till now).   That issue is missing from the list.   Any chance you could provide me with a copy of the article?

8 hours ago, Chris_w said:

I’m working on evolution of track layouts for the CDRJC (and predecessors) and the whole of Derry / Londonderry.  I too am having a great deal of trouble locating that mixed gauge photograph.

LPHC No 1.jpg

That tower is very distinctive

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.0033021,-7.321225,3a,75y,149.76h,85.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1GKLFvAuTcg6SuFvGGbKBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris_w said:

I Googled the magazine (never heard of it till now).   That issue is missing from the list.   Any chance you could provide me with a copy of the article?

Check their website for a digital.copy?Will also check with the editor tomorrow as well for you. 

This is the site of the posed photo. The building behind the tower in the background of the posed photo still exists and if you look on Google the large building up the hill is also still there. Photo is another Britain from the Air Web site but not so good quality and rather cruel enlargment. Photo is farther down river towards the Graving Dock terminus.

The building with the Tower was probably the Boating Club clubhouse, the road is called Boating Club lane and the large building is now the Magee University Music building. Godfrey Maps do a 1905 reprint of the old 25" to the Mile one which annoyingly just covers the boating club on its upper edge.

Derry .Blow up of Britain from the Air Web Site.JPG

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

The building marked X and still there, was the Technical College, known as 'The Tech'. The building behind and to the right was Foyle College, still there but the school moved out in the late 1960s.

The building next to the X where the photo was taken, was the LPHC engine shed.

Noticeably missing from the picture is HMS Stalker (known locally as HMS Neverbudge), a submarine depot ship. permanently moored at the two jetties in the top right of the picture. Can be clearly seen in the picture posted earlier by NIR.

• Informative 1

Thanks for the replies.   Unfortunately, there’s nothing to say where that mixed gauge phot is actually located.    Looking at the photo in question, the following observations:

- it’s facing north with the river bending to the left

- the dual gauge track always had the ‘common’ rail on the landward side

- the building on the left is on the landward side and some of it’s features seem to match where I have indicated with arrows

- it can’t be where the previous person indicated between warehouses and transit shed - not enough tracks and wrong direction 

- there are very few locations where dual gauge track does not exist

My drawings show (early 1960s):

- 1 broad gauge track parallel with the dual gauge track leading up to the wagon turntable on the bridge 

- continuation of this line beyond the bridge has a short section of 4 rail dual gauge track which stops at the fence boundary 

- another track in the vicinity is narrow gauge (see photo looking back at Foyle Road station with the BCNR / LMS / NCC / UTA good depot in front of it).   Note: I haven’t plotted that one yet, because I think it was gone by the 1960s.

6A3B5CF7-E9B6-4871-88B3-73293EF030B5.jpeg

39B9C4C0-0FBD-4014-A487-FC6EF5971660.jpeg

It always interested me in how the various items of stock were coupled ,granted the locos had both couplings but coupling chopper centre couplings to three link with the added fun of buffering up with the distinct chance of a buffer punching out the corner of the narrow gauge vehicle.and yet most  photos show both gauges of stock in trains.Memo to self must dig out the Avonside kit.Andy.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, Chris_w said:

Thanks for the replies.   Unfortunately, there’s nothing to say where that mixed gauge phot is actually located.    Looking at the photo in question, the following observations:

- it’s facing north with the river bending to the left

- the dual gauge track always had the ‘common’ rail on the landward side

- the building on the left is on the landward side and some of it’s features seem to match where I have indicated with arrows

- it can’t be where the previous person indicated between warehouses and transit shed - not enough tracks and wrong direction 

- there are very few locations where dual gauge track does not exist

My drawings show (early 1960s):

- 1 broad gauge track parallel with the dual gauge track leading up to the wagon turntable on the bridge 

- continuation of this line beyond the bridge has a short section of 4 rail dual gauge track which stops at the fence boundary 

- another track in the vicinity is narrow gauge (see photo looking back at Foyle Road station with the BCNR / LMS / NCC / UTA good depot in front of it).   Note: I haven’t plotted that one yet, because I think it was gone by the 1960s.

6A3B5CF7-E9B6-4871-88B3-73293EF030B5.jpeg

39B9C4C0-0FBD-4014-A487-FC6EF5971660.jpeg

Should have included key.

A0972C57-C81F-4D22-8AAF-9CBD7F1028EB.jpeg

Don’t know.   Need more photos……

19 hours ago, Chris_w said:

It’s a mystery

MixedGauge1.JPG

As well as an entrance out of sight to the left, as indicated by the crossways setts, I think we can assume the tracks were further apart before converging to round a corner of some sort to the left

(see 03:22 and 06:10)

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1

LPHC officially closed by end of August 1962. Little used after 1959 and was sent some photos of LPHC last week from 1960. All LPHC lines were mixed Gauge track up to the LPHC boundary posts. Have many photos of LPHC lines alongside Foyle on the East bank of the river.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.    However, it’s not another Britain from the Air photo.   There aren’t a huge number of those and most are limited to NI.   The best source of other aerial photos is found on the website of the National Library of Ireland.   I think I’ve only found ~4 aerial photos from BfA.   Most of the rest are NLI.  There are also some newspaper ones (based in Belfast) - can’t remember the name off hand.