The official Irish" Conversion" thread

Rate this topic

GSR 800

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roco D214. G class anyone? Remove the railing and modify the cab slightly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28133[/ATTACH]

To add some clarity to your post roxy, the wheelbase of that model is 28.8mm,which looks roughly right, but I've no definite data. It would make the g class about 7 ft and change.

The length of the chassis, which is die cast, is 83mm. G class works out at 84ish.

That's the good news. Bad news is that anything above the solebar is way off prototype and wouldn't look like a g class, no matter the amount of 2 foot rules you apply.

Sadly, I'm not aware of any drawings of the G in circulation to aid scratchbuild in, but if I dig any out, I'll add them to the resources section here.

Richie.

Well you've seen my stuff, total rivet counter, but I'd be whipping off the cab and bonnet and rebuilding it right. To my eye the bonnet on the donor is too short and the cab too long, but Rule 1 always applies. It's your ****ing railway and you can run what you ****ing well like!

As long as you don't get modellers remorse at some stage, wish you'd gone the extra mile for a prototypical model, or don't try and pass it off as a perfect representation, then it's all good. Rule 1 after all... 

But you bring a valid donor to this thread, and lads searching Google for the same idea in time might be pop in here and be able to pick up those models for a few schillings. It's about 40ish years old, after all.

R

Good find. :tumbsup: Possibly move the door from the rear to sides, remove walkway behind cab, trim roof a little, paint and weather with a bit of sleeper grime or frame dirt and she'll look like a G on anybodies layout. Personally I'd prefer an 0-6-0 shunter to 0-4-0 for slow speed running over points, etc.

I've just had to delete a few posts because the conversation sadly descended into a petty squabble. I'd advise the gentlemen involved to leave their handbags at the door in future.

Any issues in relation to this, PM me. Don't take it up again on this thread. Instead, let's allow it to get back on track...

Hi

I'm sure Sean Ryan has or had one of those Roco locos at the last Bray Show, I say 'had' also, because a regular chap to the show was thinking of buying it and not sure he did. Sean will be at Stillorgan on Sunday.....

I do like the little 'Roco' 'Loco' and it 'Yellow'

Eoin

Anyone thinking of bashing the Roco model should bear in mind that it's die cast, so you'll need a rotary tool to aid with the cutting and grinding. You'll also need a mask to avoid breathing in zinc dust.

Hmmm - after cutting up two MM chassis with rotary tool that sounds like more bother than its worth

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28155[/ATTACH]

Super photoshop. :)

That doesn't look half bad. If the whole thing is cast it would be a pain to cut up alright.

Agree. The low speed running quality of the chassis might be a mitigating factor in its favour if its good enough. Shunters need to be ultra smooth at low speeds and be able to maintain electrical continuity moving slowly over points. DCC stay alive capacitor seems vital for 0-4-0 configuration but where would a DCC chip fit never mind a capacitor in that little beauty.

Sorry that I am not a real modeller. Perhaps I'll find a different forum more suited to my skill set. Can you please suggest one so I don't waste anymore time engaging in a friendly conversation.

Roxyguy, don't mind such tongue in cheek remarks, you are a "real" modeller (whatever that is supposed to mean) and I very much enjoy your posts and your layout. Looking forward to whatever you decide with a G class irrespective of how you do it. Just enjoy. :)

Let he who is without rivets cast the first sleeper shoe. :)

One (G611) was rented to them for several years, but they never repainted it. It returned in the black livery (as currently on G617).

It's worth noting that the G601-3 series were the only ones ever to wear green - having initially been silver. They had green frames and roof, not black frames as on the DCDR. Preservationists' interest in black paint knows no bounds; ask "Ivan"!

The G611-7 series were delivered in green undercoat but were all repainted black before turning a wheel in traffic.

Windows front and rear on cabs were different between the two series, so apart from livery, more importantly we need to look at cab design before deciding what our model loco number is to be.

One (G611) was rented to them for several years, but they never repainted it. It returned in the black livery (as currently on G617).

It's worth noting that the G601-3 series were the only ones ever to wear green - having initially been silver. They had green frames and roof, not black frames as on the DCDR. Preservationists' interest in black paint knows no bounds; ask "Ivan"!

The G611-7 series were delivered in green undercoat but were all repainted black before turning a wheel in traffic.

Windows front and rear on cabs were different between the two series, so apart from livery, more importantly we need to look at cab design before deciding what our model loco number is to be.

So is the livery on the green one here a spurious one?

G's_Under_The_Cathedral.jpg

Roxy - yes.

Firstly, this class were never green. Secondly, had they been - or, going by the green livery on G601-3, the following would need amending:

1. Green frames, not black.

2. Green roof.

3. No "flying snail". No "G" ever had a snail in any livery. Instead, a large-size cabside number.

While obviously it's up to every modeller what way they want to paint their model, I have to confess to having an interest in recording what is accurate (and what isn't!) for my own interest and that of those who seek accuracy.

Unfortunately, unlike the U.K., the majority of preserved items on this island are incorrectly painted, often entirely so, sometimes just in detail.

In a private message I was asked once if I had a list of all of these. In some respects the info is worth sharing for the reasons above, but in another sense the publication of such would look or seem at best nit-picking, at worst downright churlish - especially from a former preservation activist who myself painted a GSWR coach red at Whitehead; the RPSI had no other paint available that day!

Edited by jhb171achill

Roxy - yes.

Firstly, this class were never green. Secondly, had they been - or, going by the green livery on G601-3, the following would need amending:

1. Green frames, not black.

2. Green roof.

3. No "flying snail". No "G" ever had a snail in any livery. Instead, a large-size cabside number.

While obviously it's up to every modeller what way they want to paint their model, I have to confess to having an interest in recording what is accurate (and what isn't!) for my own interest and that of those who seek accuracy.

Unfortunately, unlike the U.K., the majority of preserved items on this island are incorrectly painted, often entirely so, sometimes just in detail.

In a private message I was asked once if I had a list of all of these. In some respects the info is worth sharing for the reasons above, but in another sense the publication of such would look or seem at best nit-picking, at worst downright churlish - especially from a former preservation activist who myself painted a GSWR coach red at Whitehead; the RPSI had no other paint available that day!

Thanks for that. It explains a great many things.

Here's a link to get to photos showing the G611's when newly delivered to Inchicore: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Collection/vtls000148612/Home?lookfor=inchicore&type=AllFields&page=4&view=list and then type "Dutch" in the search field.

G611 was similarly painted in preservation to provide some variety from the otherwise black or black and tan options, as G617 has carried both those liveries. The green looks well, even though the locomotives don't appear to have carried it in traffic.

Edited by BSGSV

Excellent, Eoin.... there's a light blue one in Spain, would ye believe, and at least one yellow one in Majorca....!

What about a tartan roof? :-)

Hi jhb

I mentioned light blue because of a few photos I've seen- Tom Ferris book 'Irish Railways in colour' page 92, and there is a photo on rmweb of the same one;- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94905-kanturk-and-newmarket-railway-co-cork/, and I also saw another photo which I cant locate at the moment- all looking decidedly light blue?

It could be silver and the film has gone off! Ferris does refer to film problems in the introduction to the book....

Eoin

Hi jhb

I mentioned light blue because of a few photos I've seen- Tom Ferris book 'Irish Railways in colour' page 92, and there is a photo on rmweb of the same one;- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94905-kanturk-and-newmarket-railway-co-cork/, and I also saw another photo which I cant locate at the moment- all looking decidedly light blue?

It could be silver and the film has gone off! Ferris does refer to film problems in the introduction to the book....

Eoin

Eoin.... I had thought you just "plucked that one out of the air", so to speak.

It's silver. Old films can often get bluish tints, or (less often) reddish. Personal memories of the 10% of the population with excellent colour recall is usually better. Even in films which haven't deteriorated, different developing emulsions and fixing solutions, and different qualities of film, will render colour differently.

Also, a weathered paint finish photographed on a dull day will look different to the exact same colour when clean in bright light - even taken with the same film.

Clearly, nothing on CIE was ever light blue.

Modeller's detail: numerals and lettering and snails on silver locomotives were light green (not black, as in "preserved" G601), but on new laminate carriages were RED! I suspect some carriages had light green lettering too, but I can't find any exact confirmation.

Silver carriages and "tin vans" never carried snails of any sort, by the way; only numerals.

• 1 year later...