Baseboard size ?

Rate this question

joe123

Question

Hello All. new to the forum. And very new to railway models layout. Just about to build my first railway model layout. The base board will be mdf and the only size that I am allowed is 10ft x 3ft. The base board will have a wall on 3 sides. just would like to know could I lay a 2 track system with one track inside the other and have both on a loop ? Would the 3 foot board allow me to curve the track on both ends Thanks lads.

Welcome to the forum,

Joe!

In my opinion, you'd be better off building an end to end layout in that sort of space. It'll be more realistic, both in terms of the scene portrayed and the geometry of the track involved.

If you're doing Irish outline, as I'm assuming (and we all know what assume does!) from you posting on this forum, there are some very nice terminal stations you could pick for a prototypical model, should you choose to go that route.

If planning isn't at an advanced stage, joe123, you might consider (and bearing in mind what aclass007 says above) thinking in terms of planning a layout based on an industrial premises. Such a thing can make for some very interesting types of shunting operations, and quite complex. A dockside setting, just as one of many possibilities, would involve short wheelbase steam or diesel, 0.4.0 and 0.6.0 types, and lots of 4 wheel stock, maybe short length bogie passenger stock as was the case, for example, on the Courtmacsherry branch. Come to think of it, a shuttle layout based on somewhere like the as a terminus might be interesting, C class diesels, are shortish, and with a hit of poetic licence, a G class or two.

I always thought a layout based on the shunting procures round the docks in Cork, Belfast or Derry would be interesting.

As UP6936 says, a terminus layout is probably best....

Many prototypes. Modern image - Ballina, maybe a Tralee / Killarney approximation (but with timber trains!). Old style steam era - millions of places.

Short of space - a prototype of the Waterford & Tramore would be an interesting one. Go for really obscure? Dublin & Blessington's Terenure terminus - tram engines, goods wagons and small Ford railcars.....

But there are loads. That's the beauty about model railways. Your imagination is the only limit to what you plan to do. Money, time and space will cover what you actually DO get done, of course!

Hi Joe,

When i started modelling myself i had a layout 8x4 with a loop(a roundy roundy as called by some!)

the curves were pretty tight, a looked a bit unrealistic. with space like that in my opinion a "straight" layout with a fiddle yard and scenic breaks? Again just my opinion. I will probably get scrutinised by others for basic names for the types of layouts!

Joe,

Welcome - I threw your size in the machine and it spat this out.

Joe123.jpg

The outer curve is second radius, and the inner one is first radius track. Reaching the track to the rear, if walled in will be hard enough to reach to, just remember that.

Each grid is a square foot, so it might be of some use. Keep uz posted :P

Joe,

Welcome - I threw your size in the machine and it spat this out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21798[/ATTACH]

The outer curve is second radius, and the inner one is first radius track. Reaching the track to the rear, if walled in will be hard enough to reach to, just remember that.

Each grid is a square foot, so it might be of some use. Keep uz posted :P

It doesn't look so small at all when you see it drawn out like that. How limiting would the first radius curve be? Would a MM 201 get around on it, for instance?

Short of space - a prototype of the Waterford & Tramore would be an interesting one. Go for really obscure? Dublin & Blessington's Terenure terminus - tram engines, goods wagons and small Ford railcars.....

To link to your earlier musing on C and G classes, Loughrea!

Joe, feel free to disregard. At this point JB and I may just be getting into things we want to model hahah! :D

In all seriousness, the G class locos worked passenger services with one coach on the Loughrea branch, and so would be very convincing on a shortish end to end. Just throwing ideas out there

Thanks Lads For all your help. I was after buying the 00 track and Murphy loco clo71 ie ora/blk what ever that means. and the carriage is a murphy mk2 egv super train. will have to give this a lot more thought but 10 x 3 is my space. and it would be a permeant layout

I hope it works for you, Joe, but I seem to remember from my own first 00 set when I was 12 (i.e. in the late Neolithic period), that 6ft X 4ft was the generally accepted minimum. Could you even stretch to 3ft 6? Hopefully. I hope I'm wrong, but I think 3ft is getting a bit too tight. It would be interesting to see if others have managed to get an 071 round a curve slightly under 18" radius, as it would have to be.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. As suggested and end to end layout would be better as first and second radius don't look right in my opinion.

I have built a layout for a client that features an upper level that is very tight, he wanted a twin loop and using flex track I could get it slightly bigger than radius 2 and 1.

I have attached a couple of photos to put it into perspective for you. Most stock will run on radius 1 but won't look right and you will get an odd derailment.

One option would be to have a single line to give you the loop with inner sidings for trains to pass.

2015-12-02 17.09.56.jpg

2015-12-02 17.09.45.jpg

Joe,

Have a look at this video by one of the lads here - small baseboard, simple layout, but buckets of charm. If you closed off the back loop toward the wall, you'd have less scenic work to do - no need to fill the board to the gills with track and stations. One to the front would be plenty IMHO.

Hi joe123 & welcome to the site, you'll get lots of helpful suggestions & ideas on here, your plan for a 10 x 3 doesn't give you a lot space but as Glenderg & Dave's suggested a 1st & 2nd radius may work & by using flexi track you may !! get away with it, at the end of the day trying these ideas / suggestions out is the only way you'll find out. I did have track (1st & 2nd radius )on my dining room table number of years past & ran some loco's, co-co diesels & steam, it was not permanent or perfect & certinately as a layout it was not, but it worked & I got lots of pleasure from it,even if was only for a week ! keep us posted on your progress, PS I did not have any flexi track on this ! btb

Edited by burnthebox

Thanks Dave that looks good. Would I be able to run a murphy loco 071. and 2 mk 2 on that layout. I Would go with that and with a station or two, added. with a tunnel it would look the business Thanks to every one for you help and tips. merry x mass.

Yes Joe, pretty much everything will run on that, and as Glenderg said if it's broken up with a back scene board it will add an extra dimension to the layout.

You still have room in the centre for a loco yard or goods yard.

I carry Peco flex track and points in stock and I do an awesome point control system if your interested!

Wow that video was fabulous I would love to have something like that. Yes I will go with your layout As my space is and will be only 10ft x 3ft. and walled in on 3 sides it could look go in a few months when it finished will keep you all posted Thanks for all the help.

Joe evening though you already have some 00 stock, 10ft x 3ft would make a superb N gauge layout. There are some 3D body kits of Irish locos that could be kit bashed onto N gauge RTR models. Otherwise an end to end shunting yard or country terminus station seems a good option for 00 gauge and avoids awful 1st radius curves which really only suit older era short wheel base goods and passenger stock.

How about this, storage sidings at the rear behind the back scene. Small loco yard with a fuel point.

I wouldn't put much more in than this as it will start to look like a train set.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21802[/ATTACH]

Sorry to be coming in on this thread so late. This design looks great. If you're worried about access to set up stock or deal with any potential derailment at the back, you could consider moving the back scene divider forward about 8" and making approximately the last 2' of the scene divider oblique on each end, maybe backward on the right and forward on the left.

This would leave room for a modest sized access well maybe 18"x2' behind the divider approximately in squares 2,3,8,9 of the middle row and some of the squares behind. You could consider raising the level of the baseboard to provide easier access to the wells and potentially you would be looking "at the trains" rather than down upon them. You could set up stock or deal with issues from the wells.

I'm assuming the the back of the layout would be against the wall hence concerns over access. With this arrangement, I think this would appeal visually if you entered the room or whatever from the right, mirror image the suggested design if there is a door on the left. The back scene divider would now be almost 12 feet long.

There is quite a lot of spare room on the left side if the divider is brought 'forward' in this way. Trains enter/leave via a tunnel. The storage sidings on the inside become progressively shorter but could be extended into this area on the left to accommodate longer trains by replacing maybe two of the left-hand turnouts with single-slips. The last couple of coaches would need to be reversed into the additional area for running in a clockwise direction. This could all occur behind the back scene.

If you can squeeze another 4-6" in depth there is an option to have two running loops of the same radius as this as you have just sufficient length for an elevated track with no more than a 3% gradient. The tracks partially overlap (one elevated) behind the back scene.

I don't have a planner like Glenderg or Dave but I can PM you a sketch if/when you're interesting in moving ahead.

Edited by DiveController

Incidentally, what type of programme do you use to do that layout plan? What system is -

- VERY simple to use

- free

- devoid of any form of pop up ads!

I use Anyrail, very easy to use with good tutorial videos. There is a free version that allows up to 50 pieces of track and the full version is around €40

You can get Scarm free but it's not as user friendly.

http://www.anyrail.com

http://www.scarm.com

Joe,

Have a look at this video by one of the lads here - small baseboard, simple layout, but buckets of charm. If you closed off the back loop toward the wall, you'd have less scenic work to do - no need to fill the board to the gills with track and stations. One to the front would be plenty IMHO.

Love the video , but that signal omg. !! :D

I would not build a roundy roundy in 3ft wide baseboards. Way too confining a radius. Do a terminus or even a through station with sector plates at each end

Incidentally, what type of programme do you use to do that layout plan? What system is -

- VERY simple to use

- free

- devoid of any form of pop up ads!

I can highly recommend this to you, or anyone who wishes to avoid pop up ads. Just one click, and it's working on your PC or device, and works away unnoticed after that.

https://adblockplus.org/

My own two pence/cents worth is the same. End to end in 00, unless you just want to have a train set. 15" radius curves will look far too tight unless you stick to four wheel stock and even then it is pushing it.

10' is a decent length for a terminus fiddle yard and a nice way to start. Keep it 2' wide for easier access.

N gauge would work very well in 10x3, though access to the rear might be difficult.