Layout design software

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Mac or PC?

What is 'RailModeller' for Mac like?

I have VMware Fusion so could run AnyRail, but prefer to avoid getting dependent on windoze apps. I've designed our layout with pencil 30 years ago but would like to retrospectively document it using a decent easy to use intuitive app. Most of the free linux stuff is rubbish because it has too steep a learning curve.

ModelRailTrackPlan5b.jpg

Edited by Noel

He was being humorous. JB got the joke.

Rich,

So was I

In my generation, an "app" is half an apple, which is a fruit, as is a blackberry.

If you eat too many Blackberries, you get Bluetooth.

Think you've used that one before, JB but I like it:D

What is 'RailModeller' for Mac like?

I have VMware Fusion so could run AnyRail, but prefer to avoid getting dependent on windoze apps. I've designed our layout with pencil 30 years ago but would like to retrospectively document it using a decent easy to use intuitive app. Most of the free linux stuff is rubbish because it has too steep a learning curve.

Agreed. My personal MacBook Pro has been very trusty indeed until this week when augmented multi-mode authentication plus a software upgrade at work left my OSX 10.7 no longer supported for remote access. Time for a long overdue replacement for the iMac that is still in perfect order behind me, also no longer 'supported' due to it G5. So a new iMac will be purchased no doubt in the New Year which may finally spur me to contemplate what to design for the newly negotiated real estate

Edited by DiveController

I use trax3 , any rail , I find trac3 easier to use. Runs under parallels n a Mac. Both my Limerick junction and claremorris layouts were initially designed in it.

The only drawback of these programs is they restrict you to set track configurations. Ultimately I put the whole things into Templot as its the only program I believe in regards dimensional accuracy

Using a pencil for layout design is a bad idea as you are always inclined to squeeze turnouts and radius into spaces that When using a proper design tool, turn out to be impossible. A case of wishful thinking.

Dave