Irish Railway Rambler.

Rate this topic

iarnrod

Have been waiting patiently for this book to arrive, and now that it finally arrived, I have to say that it was well worth the wait.

If CIE and Irish Rail (IR point logo livery)liveried loco's interest you, then you will love this book. Also a section dealing with Mk2 and Mk3 carriages, NIR railcars operating on IE, and a section on NIR. Excellent collection of photos to say the least.

There is a mention that a second edition dealing with freight and cross border trains might appear in the future.

There will be several new books next year, from what Colourpoint tell me, covering quite an array of subject matter. Goods will feature strongly in one, and (if it's out in time) narrow gauge in another.

Rails Through North Kerry being one in particular to look forward to :tumbsup:

That one's done and dusted, aclass. Despite Colourpoint's corporate head being melted with yet another additional picture and four re-written captions emailed over Christmas to them!

They had told me of several others. "Rails Through North Kerry" was, I believe, one of five or six. Be released in succession. Norman Johnston's book and Michael's "Rambler" we're two of the others.

I'm going to London in February to hopefully start on another project. If all goes well, it'll be easy to get it done as a "quickie" project, in between the longer term scribblings I have in mind, should time EVER allow. If the research proceeds as I hope, that too will probably be out later this year.

If you try Colourpoint direct, I'm sure they would ship to your location.

http://colourpoint.co.uk/contact.php

I posted fifteen copies of "Achillbeg-The Life of an Island" to America a couple of months back. The postage for the fifteen cost me €60. I priced it in the north where it was double that, at about £97.

Inward postage, of course, would be the thing for Amazon. I'd say it's the same whether you have it posted FROM there, TO Ireland north or south.

Just got my copy of Irish Railway Rambler. The book is just full of pictures and some very unusual ones. Where else would you see 019 in 201 livery, 124 in 'Tippex' livery with GREEN Stripes, 'Tippex' vinyl(not paint)stripes been applied to Mk II coaches, Work Shop pictures and a good section on NIR. There are chapters on the different locomotives, coaches and Railcars.

This is one book I'll be taking down from the book shelf again and again.

Just got my copy of Irish Railway Rambler. The book is just full of pictures and some very unusual ones. Where else would you see 019 in 201 livery' date=' 124 in 'Tippex' livery with GREEN Stripes, 'Tippex' vinyl(not paint)stripes been applied to Mk II coaches, Work Shop pictures and a good section on NIR. There are chapters on the different locomotives, coaches and Railcars. This is one book I'll be taking down from the book shelf again and again.[/quote']

Got mine yesterday,and I'm delighted with it,lots of interesting pictures and a few gems thrown in,

Highly recommended-well worth the money.

Book Depository says it's currently not available also but they have a 'notify me' option and free shipping also.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Irish-Railway-Rambler-Michael-McMahon/9781780730752

Book Depository turned out to be the best option. I was notified a couple of days ago and purchased mine yesterday for $18 with free shipping?

• 2 weeks later...
Ive read through mine, I was disappointed that there was no focus on freight vehicles , theres only so many pictures of Mk2 Mk3, I want to see!

I refer you back to the first post from iarnrod

"There is a mention that a second edition dealing with freight and cross border trains might appear in the future."

don't give up hope yet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished reading Michael McMahon’s book “Irish Railway Rambler” and it’s the sort of book I read over a period of time dipping in and out of it. The more I read the more I appreciated the clever way he has put the book together. While it’s mainly a book of photographs it is full of information not only of locomotives but also coaches and Railcars. A great reference book which captures railways in Ireland between 1982 and 1995. He has hinted on doing another book on Freight, I for one can’t wait.

Just finished reading Michael McMahon’s book “Irish Railway Rambler” and it’s the sort of book I read over a period of time dipping in and out of it. The more I read the more I appreciated the clever way he has put the book together. While it’s mainly a book of photographs it is full of information not only of locomotives but also coaches and Railcars. A great reference book which captures railways in Ireland between 1982 and 1995. He has hinted on doing another book on Freight' date=' I for one can’t wait.[/quote']

I was delighted to meet Michael as he travelled on the Ballina branch train last week,

We had a great chat about the bygone days of which he captured so well in his book.