OO works announce GNRI U Class

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

The following information is taken directly from ooworks Web Page-

"THESE LOCO'S ARE NOT FITTED WITH DCC BUT IT CAN BE FITTED IN EITHER THE BOILER OR THE TENDER, THERE IS ENOUGH ROOM) WE DO NOT PROVIDE THIS SERVICE.

We make all our locos mainly from cast metal, resin. brass , etch and other materials. some of our tooling is hand done while other bits are done using 3D design.

Our locos are spray finished with some lining being done free hand. We only offer OO guage, as most of our customers are from across the British Isles inc Ireland.

Our loco's are fitted with 5 pole motors."

Do the white metal or brass components create any electrical problems actually fitting these with a DCC chip (like, say, a split chassis loco)?

How easy would it be to access the boiler to place a DCC chip as I assume parts may not just unclip like in plastic locomotives?

DiveController,

Morning to you. I suspect none of us can answer your Question! "How easy would it be to access the boiler to place a DCC chip as I assume parts may not just unclip like in plastic locomotives?" Reason we have not yet received our purchases. I suggest you refer to Posting No 1, on this subject. It contains the relevant contact details for this Manufacturer. The will, I'm sure, provide you with the information you require of their products.

Happy modelling.

SSM have lining for both types of locos with a selection of numbers.

Depending on the completed model, I'll also look at providing detail packs for the cab and extra rivetting detail.

Don't forget that I can also provide a fully brass D1 Tender kit if you do want to go down that road.

What might have been!

It is amazing what we can do to justify the purchase of rolling stock for our model railways.

The Londonderry,Manorhamilton and Sligo Railway Company (LMS).

From here the imagination takes over completely!!! Everything and anything trundles over this line. Number 70 can haul mixed trains, cattle trains or whatever can be justified, so long as the rails will carry the traffic. I can imagine a certain U Class being used here!

For goodness sake, White, I told you to lay off that dreadful stuff they produce round where you live - stick to The Bush!

This model is a great deal better than any of the GNR (I) U Class Locomotives I possess. I do not have any.

I do not have the skill, or the time to build one. Thus this locomotive, even with its imperfections, will provide me with a good representation of a GNR(I)Locomotive for my model railways.

We often cry-out for more Irish Models. Well, I have ordered one of each of their recent announcements. Should these locomotives really, really, need to have the missing pipes and rivets fitted to them, then I shall ask one or more of my talented builders to add the necessary details for me.

Ah Whitee, I should have read this first - you haven't been drinking the wrong stuff after all!

Like you, I ordered one of each straightaway, for as we both know, it's a modest price for a running Irish steam loco, even if not top-flight in terms of detail. When they come demanding cash, I'll ask them not to paint my UG, except in undercoat, as i obviously want it in GN black!

The use of white metal is, in truth, a slight worry - rather heavy stuff - still I don't plan to hang more than a few coaches behind the 4-4-0, but the goods engine will be expected to pull twenty of my wagons!

How many of you guys have ordered one?

Leslie

Ah Whitee, I should have read this first - you haven't been drinking the wrong stuff after all!

Like you, I ordered one of each straightaway, for as we both know, it's a modest price for a running Irish steam loco, even if not top-flight in terms of detail. When they come demanding cash, I'll ask them not to paint my UG, except in undercoat, as i obviously want it in GN black!

The use of white metal is, in truth, a slight worry - rather heavy stuff - still I don't plan to hang more than a few coaches behind the 4-4-0, but the goods engine will be expected to pull twenty of my wagons!

How many of you guys have ordered one?

Leslie

I would check with the manufacturer whether the body is whitemetal or a zinc die casting, he seems to have a reputation of being open and helpful.

Haulage power should be reasonably good with a whitemetal or diecast body, back in my BR modelling days I built a number of whitemetal steamers from DJH & Comet kits 20-30 wagons was no problem to a goods loco

Looked at their site today. The have put up the cad for the UG, which DOES have rivet detailing..

It's likely they received some polite constructive suggestions and made modifications. The UG class looks nice. No change to the U class from what I can see though, maybe a little on the loco under the boiler. I'd prefer the U in that livery. I can't magnify properly this for some reason. Hmm, can't download it either

Edited by DiveController

I would check with the manufacturer whether the body is whitemetal or a zinc die casting, he seems to have a reputation of being open and helpful.

Haulage power should be reasonably good with a whitemetal or diecast body, back in my BR modelling days I built a number of whitemetal steamers from DJH & Comet kits 20-30 wagons was no problem to a goods loco

Ooworks states that the loco will weigh approx 250g when finished . This seems light to me, got to go and weight a woollie or something for comparison. The bed-plate / cab are made from cast metal. The boiler is injection resin, and chassis is brass. Apparently, the boiler section comes off with a pair of screws to allow easy fitting of a DCC chip.

There's a mention of it in this months Model Rail. Pricey at £255/£265 though!

Kits/batch built models of steam locos work out a lot more expensive than rtr diesels.

A complete set of parts to build a small 4-4-0 such as the GNR U or PP from a kit will set you back at least £160, before considering labour, tools and consumables such as solder flux etc.

It will be interesting to see how these locos sell, there is likely to be a reasonable level of demand considering the success of Provincial Models range of rtr and kit built GNR wagons.

Is it just me, or do the boiler bands seem very close?

Actually, I don't think they are - they may give that appearance because they're a bit thick?

I've had a look at photos of them in Tom Ferris' GN book and I'd say they're OK.

I also note that the UG has a whistle - let's hope he remembers to put it on the Class U as well - have a look at the CADCAM - it appears to be missing from the U.

All that said, I've just been on the phone to one of my customers who has the 00 Works SR Class I3 and he speaks very positively about it, so I'm looking forward to these new locos!

Leslie

Thanks for these encouraging words, John. It's a bit embarrassing if my Murphy diesels can sail round with thirty wagons in tow, but my steam struggles! Actually my Class WT, from Colm Flanagan of this Parish, has no trouble with thirty. Of course, one should be running SIXTY behind a 0-6-0 to replicate the night goods to Derry!

Leslie

• 1 month later...
Sixty behind an 0-6-0, thats a loco with some umph! as I assume the Derry road was not flat? = to 76 was the load for a 9f up Hatton bank on the BR Western route from Oxford to Birmingham.

Hi Mike

The night goods had the heavy Class SG3s on them. I must try and count the number of wagons they took over the Wellington Bank on the mainline - that was more or less continuous 1 in 100 for close on ten miles!!!

Regards

Leslie

Hi Mike

The night goods had the heavy Class SG3s on them. I must try and count the number of wagons they took over the Wellington Bank on the mainline - that was more or less continuous 1 in 100 for close on ten miles!!!

Regards

Leslie

The Big Ds or SG3 were powerful locomotives, there was quite a bit written about how the NCC Moguls and Jeeps just did not have the sustained slow speed hauling power of the 0-6-0s when used on the Derry Road or Wellington Bank in the 60s.

McArnold's Golden Years of the Great Northern has some hair raising tales of trains splitting and run-aways between Pomeroy and Omagh. When a coupling broke the golden rule was to put on steam and run as fact as possible to avoid a pile up when the run away section caught up with the loco and front section of the train.

It was something like that, Harry. Not the single steepest in Ireland, but up there, and also one of the longest. For an inexperienced fireman, it was a severe test.

I would be then! Let's see, we have the glanmire road bank, the carrickmore bank, but I'm sure if we include some narrow gauge banks the would be very steep! Wasn't there some 1 in 30 banks on the T&D?

The SG3s seemed to be designed with the Derry road in mind! One of the most powerful, if not the most powerful 0-6-0s in Ireland!

You've some imagination, Harry! Maybe Maedb going up it - re-gauged! Or a Lough Swilly tender loco....

But to go back to the U class........ (!)....

Lough Swilly tender loco may not be so crazy..survives another few years, transferred to the T&D for cattle specials! Maybe?

I might hold off getting a U myself, if I was going to get a RTR loco, it would be a J15, 461 or Meabh, or maybe a VS..

461 would be the ideal RTR loco. She is inside cylindered' date=' as Ivan has already pointed out, and is in preservation. A kit will soon be available...[/quote']

Only two were built, so volume wise it would not be an ideal RTR candidate at all. Kit or hand built ala OO works maybe but even then I think the latter would be stretching it.

With such an emphasis on modern image modelling (post 1970 appears to be by far the most popular - understandably), one wonders whether better commercial viability would result from a RTR steam engine of a preserved type (171, 4, 461) or a "classic" design from the traffic volumes of the past like some of those previously mentioned.

A modern image modeller could have one of the former rattling round on an "RPSI" train, whereas an old GSWR or NCC 4.4.0 would only be appropriate for a layout set pre 1960.