Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Yes, Kieran, a very nice replication of once common sight - of course the wagons look good, but then I would say that! Still available, by the way!

I have probably posted this fact-ette before, but the CIE weekly notice BEGAN with fair specials for that week - on one occasion, it ran to forty plus pages of those alone!

Jon is generally right that every Irish model station should have a cattle dock, but by some error of choice on my part, the ones on my layout (Portadown and Richhill) didn't have them - so I have a train of twenty cattle wagons to RUN THROUGH as the Enniskillen Shipper - which was nothing but cattle wagons (GNR and SLNCR).

Keep up the great work Kieran - where do you find the time?

Leslie

I've a pic somewhere if the last cattle trucks awaiting scrapping in Cork about 1977. Must look it out. Given the above mentioned history of cattle traffic in Ireland, it is quite staggering that not one single example is preserved, anywhere.

The last I remember seeing was an old SLNCR one in a field near manorhamilton which fell to pieces in the late 1980s / 1990s.

A worthy "new build" for the DCDR; please witness here that when I win the Euromillions / Lotto, I'll fund the whole thing, plus restoration of all the six wheelers, myself.....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

GNR(I)SG Class locomotive.

Lots of problems on this my first brass locomotive kit build but at last it runs. But running not as well as I had hoped, need to re look at the pickups and the weight factor.

[video=youtube;P-05bnF5Rvw]

Seems OK to me, but hard to tell re absolute smoothness on video footage.

As you say, extra weight over the drivers should help.

Pick ups may affect running. On Arigna Town, two locos exhibited a surging type movement. Found it was the pickups not being properly adjusted and the feedback controllers I used in compensating for the poor connection causing the surges.

GNR(I)SG Class locomotive.

Lots of problems on this my first brass locomotive kit build but at last it runs. But running not as well as I had hoped, need to re look at the pickups and the weight factor.

Hey you are far too hard on yourself - for a 1st brass loco she looks more than impressive. Tweaking the running can be done retrospectively. Hat's off to you - well done.

• 3 weeks later...
Some GNR Provincial Wagon Kits finished and getting their first run out on Kirley Junction. They are three 10T Vans, one unfitted, and a 20T Brake Van.

IMG_3547.JPG

Very nice little rake, Kieran. I wasn't aware that the GN covered wagons were turned out in crimson/bauxite, which make a refreshing change, with a couple of different shades of grey to finish it off. Looks really nice!

Some GNR Provincial Wagon Kits finished and getting their first run out on Kirley Junction. They are three 10T Vans, one unfitted, and a 20T Brake Van.

IMG_3547.JPG

Absolutely superb - and the layout is looking beautifully settled in too - can almost see the moss on those walls :)

GNR(I) JT Locomotive.

In an earlier post I displayed some pictures of 4 Provincial Wagons I had just completed being pulled by this locomotive. No one commented on the locomotive which maybe indicates a limited interest on Steam locomotives on this site.

Anyway here is a video of it action. You may notice in the earlier part of the video the locomotive was not running smoothly but after working at the CV's it improved.