Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Finally finished ballasting the outside double track using the method Anthony recommended using isopropanol alcohol and water before applying the PVA glue and it works well.

P1010022.jpg

Then came the fun bit of getting all the points to work again. Then I ran wiring from each point back to my control point and that ended up with a rat’s nest of wiring. I had some faults when I tested the points and had to replace some of the wires before getting it all to work.

P1010028.jpg

P1010038.jpg

I did a short video testing the track after ballasting.

This is the proposed site for the new station just completed by Glenderg and for collection this weekend. See his Projects Page under “Workshops”

P1010041.jpg

kirley, the layout is looking fantastic! the castle in the background of this pic - can you show me a closer look?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3201[/ATTACH]

If you go to my Workshop Page "Kirley Projects" page 2 you will find the story behind 'a Village in Ireland'

The track aliment on my lifting bridge was causing difficulties. Originally the track bed going over the break was Woodland Track bed which did not provide a rigid enough structure to hold the track in perfect aliment. I replaced part of it with cork and while it was an improvement there was still a slight miss aliment

I saw a solution on You Tube so when I was laying the bottom rail I decided to do all.

KirleyJunctionbridge.jpg

I used Peco level crossing parts, straights and curves.

KirleyJunctionbridge2.jpg

KirleyJunctionbridge3.jpg

It’s a bit agriculture looking but I wanted to ensure nothing would move hence all the screws.

KirleyJunctionbridge4.jpg

The Dremel was used to do the cut.

KirleyJunctionbridge5.jpg

KirleyJunctionbridge6.jpg

KirleyJunctionbridge7.jpg

A bit of filler and paint for the initial camouflage job.

KirleyJunctionbridge8.jpg

Test run

• 2 weeks later...

Layout Scenic’s

This part of the layout involves a bridge at the end of the station platform. I tested it with a 141 and some carriages and the clearance was fine. It was only after I had screwed and plastered the bridge formers in did I remember about my Hunslets which always sat a bit higher than other locos. A clearance test was called for and sure enough it got stuck on one side.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic001.jpg

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic002.jpg

Major engineering works had to be carried out in situ as I did not want to dismantle the bridge formers.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic003.jpg

I pasted backdrops to the walls which I hoped gave the layout a sense of distance.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic004.jpg

At the join between the layout and wall I stuck some vegetation to disguise the join.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic005.jpg

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic007.jpg

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic009.jpg

Next is the Station area.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic010.jpg

I used 18 mm MDF for the platform and employed a reamer to give an overhang edge.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic011.jpg

This is Kirley Junction Station (looks a lot like Navan) in all its glory. Thanks again to Glenderg for producing such a beautiful and realistic building.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic014.jpg

I’m waiting for some texture sheets from Glenderg to cover the platform and that should help to ‘ground’ the building to it.

kirleyjunctionLayout-Scenic016.jpg

As you can see the platform looks very stark and I would welcome suggestions on what to add to it to bring a more ‘real’ feel to this area. As it is only single line I don’t need a footbridge but have thought of station lights.

I love the new station mate it looks the dogs B. Fair play to Glenderg I hope to have some more buildings from him myself this weekend. BTW what back scenes are you using as they look cool :tumbsup:

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind encouragement and suggestions. I feel I need more buildings (small) but like everything else on the layout something will evolve.

Anthony – the back scenes are called Hills & Dales and I got them from Express Models:

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Photographic_4mm_Scale_Backscenes.html

See you Saturday at Cultra.

This update is mainly from the benefit of my Civil Engineer Consultant Glenderg who has supplied me with textured papers for my platform.

KirleyJunctionStation001.jpg

That work is on hold while the track ballast dries.

KirleyJunctionStation002.jpg

I used some of his card to construct some walls to break up the platform area and he is going to print off some coping stones for the top.

KirleyJunctionStation003.jpg

Richie this view shows the lip at the edge of the platform and a close up of the wall.

KirleyJunctionStation005.jpg