Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Filling those right angles is always difficult especially trying to disguise the fact that the track is passing a corner.

KJ003.jpg

I used a Hornby church and trees, lots of them.

KJ004.jpg

I also tried out one of Weshty gates, it was fun–

KJ005.jpg

I did put it the right way up but at Halloween the local youths decided to turn it upside down (a local custom) –honest!

KJ007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished, if you ever are, another scenic section. This time I wanted to do a farm scene and I squeezed one in alongside the main railway line.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm016.jpg

There's Eamonn after delivering the Christmas mail

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm017.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm018.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm019.jpg

You note the Trains don't faze the cattle, they are well used to them passing, but give them an interested stare.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm020.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm021.jpg

Corrigated Iron Sheets come in very useful to plug the gaps in the hedge.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm022.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm023.jpg

The selection of farm animals available is very limited (can’t get a Mullingar Heifer for love or money) but with the help of paint brush there’s not a Frisian in sight.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm027.jpg

I was able to use some more of Weshty’s gates, I really like them but they are very fiddly especially when you model them to open and close.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm029.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm031.jpg

It’s amazing the time it takes just to do this small section trying to encapsulate the “feel” of the farmyard, if anything it’s probably too clean.

Just finished, if you ever are, another scenic section. This time I wanted to do a farm scene and I squeezed one in alongside the main railway line.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm016.jpg

There's Eamonn after delivering the Christmas mail

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm017.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm018.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm019.jpg

You note the Trains don't faze the cattle, they are well used to them passing, but give them an interested stare.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm020.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm021.jpg

Corrigated Iron Sheets come in very useful to plug the gaps in the hedge.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm022.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm023.jpg

The selection of farm animals available is very limited (can’t get a Mullingar Heifer for love or money) but with the help of paint brush there’s not a Frisian in sight.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm027.jpg

I was able to use some more of Weshty’s gates, I really like them but they are very fiddly especially when you model them to open and close.

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm029.jpg

KJ-ShaneoguestownFarm031.jpg

It’s amazing the time it takes just to do this small section trying to encapsulate the “feel” of the farmyard, if anything it’s probably too clean.

Kirley

layout looks fantastic. The detail in the farm is amazing. looks like the one at Cultra in the folk museum More pics please

• 4 weeks later...

That's a great farm scene, I think I'll incorporate 1 into my layout. Once apona time when the railways ran in Donegal, the line passed through the middle my grandfathers farm. He did the gates which are still there along with the old barns and a farmhouse like the ones in your diorama.

That's a great farm scene, I think I'll incorporate 1 into my layout. Once apona time when the railways ran in Donegal, the line passed through the middle my grandfathers farm. He did the gates which are still there along with the old barns and a farmhouse like the ones in your diorama.

That scene just has to be recreated..!

just one thing I would do is to remove those bases from the Cows and just glue the legs to the ground, unless they are going to be milked!

It would be hard to milk those bullocks but your point about removing the plastic bases which got covered in overspray (are nearly all model cattle Friesian?) is one I will defiantly get around to.

As I had got some of Leslie’s (Provincial Wagons) Cattle Wagon Kits I had to display them in the proper surroundings.

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons012_zpsf0cfd34b.jpg

I adapted two Raito Cattle Docks to fit the space I had set aside on the layout.

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons013_zpsd3029f8b.jpg

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons016_zpseb02a38d.jpg

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons023_zps1557b67f.jpg

I modified one of the wagons so that the door could open and close to provide a more realistic scene.

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons022_zps047b8111.jpg

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons021_zps26dd9461.jpg

With that through put of livestock there is always a residue left behind and the is always someone who gets the job of shovelling s..t.

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons015_zps40cedae1.jpg

It can be approached from either side with walkways to the Cattle pens.

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons018_zps98068ee9.jpg

KirleyJunction-CattleWagons017_zps8e37e37e.jpg

I’m not sure how protypical this scene would be in Ireland, if fact then only photograph I can recall was the one in Rails through The West where they were loading Cattle of the Platform in Ennis.