Resting at Connolly

Rate this topic

She has to be going in soon for her refurb, orange/black door, grey patch and her black/silver livery. I wasn t certain on whether she had the new brake set up or not as shes had work done on her in the last three weeks

Just looking back at this post and laughing to myself. Little over a year on and 072 is still going round in an even worse state, in the mean time other 071s have been rebuilt that are not in as bad external condition.

In saying that its 4 years next month since the first slate grey 071, 077 was release to traffic. IE are taking their time rebuilding the 18 locos. 081 was the last one done some months back.

072,073,074,075,079,082,083 and 086 are still to be done. 082 has spent over a year in Inchicore at this stage waiting on bogies for about 6 months, on jacks most of the time and was last see outside with the RPSI Cravens on refurb grey bogies with temp yellow fixings in place.

Recently all active 071s have got new silver buffers and refurb brake hoses fitted, even recently rebuilt locos.

Four years! Doesn't seem like it.....

When the GSR took over on 1st January 1925, their new livery was unveiled soon after. Initially, like the addition of "tippex" stripes marking the CIE / IE boundary in 1987, there was no body colour change, just the new crest and continuing GSWR crimson lake. Locos didn't change at all on ex-GSW lines. But by the time they repainted all carriages maroon and all locos grey, we're well into the 1930s! Both Cavan & Letirm No. 1 and the MGWRs "Luna" (J18) were still in pre-1925 livery in 1932, seven years later. jhb171Senior recalls seeing a six wheel passenger brake in Kingsbridge station still in very weatherbeaten GSWR livery around the same time.

The last coach in GNR brown was still in CIE service in that livery in 1965, bypassing green and going straight to black'n'tan. UTA green was still prevalent on their dwindling stock of dilapidated loco-hauled carriages in 1973, five years after NIR.

And when I travelled the length and breadth of NIR and CIE in 1975,6,7 & 8, "H" vans and Palvans (latterly laid up in sidings mostly!) with "flying snails" on them were more common than you'd think......

The remarkable 12 wheeled MGWR Director's Saloon, probably the single most luxurious passenger railway vehicle ever to run in Ireland, still wore pristine MGWR maroon (thus 1918-25) in the late 1950s, because it had spent much of its life under cover.

So it was preserved and is a star attraction in the Great Dublin Railway Museum........wait...

Hold on, while I consult my notes.........

No, sorry. CIE painted it green and scrapped it about 2 years later. And there never was such a museum, because the Grovelment didn't then, and don't now, give one flying toss about anything industrial heritage related.

Just looking back at this post and laughing to myself. Little over a year on and 072 is still going round in an even worse state, in the mean time other 071s have been rebuilt that are not in as bad external condition.

In saying that its 4 years next month since the first slate grey 071, 077 was release to traffic. IE are taking their time rebuilding the 18 locos. 081 was the last one done some months back.

072,073,074,075,079,082,083 and 086 are still to be done. 082 has spent over a year in Inchicore at this stage waiting on bogies for about 6 months, on jacks most of the time and was last see outside with the RPSI Cravens on refurb grey bogies with temp yellow fixings in place.

Recently all active 071s have got new silver buffers and refurb brake hoses fitted, even recently rebuilt locos.

And of the locos that went through the body overhaul, 071 and 077 have been through twice due to issues (I recall 077 had severe corrosion around the lower cab panels approximately 1 1/2 - 2 years after release). Plus the 201 rebuild programme took precedence over the 071 (and still does), and that the original plan was only to do about 10 of them (changed recently).

I have heard 18 months for the rest of the fleet to be done

Yeah you could see the rust on 077 coming through the yellow warning panels and the cab side where the new logos are stuck on. That was when 071 and 077 got their large font running numbers put on too when they went back in. 084 and 088 still don't have them.

• 5 years later...