brianmcs workbench

Rate this topic

brianmcs

Hi Guys ,

thanks for all the encouraging comments , especially Scahalane whose own excellent build of these was part of the inspiration for me to have a go.

The ends were made by casting some machinable wax into a mould and machining them to size on a small lathe .

I am working from the drawing on the forum and the photos on the net. These are very good but not great for the smaller detail such as the hatch lids , so if anyone can offer more detailed pics I would be very grateful .

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thanks guys ,

the mould has one part in silicone rubber and a core made in acetal both of which are inside an acetal box or " shell" .

not sure if that makes it a 2 or 3 part mould?

Now that I am starting work on the chassis does anyone have any advice re which bogies to use ?

20160411_123222[1].jpg

20160411_123145[2].jpg

20160411_123153[1].jpg

20160411_123211[1].jpg

Hi brianmcs

The mould looks cool, though it looks like you had an air problem also! the silicone looks like it needs to be evacuated when mixed and before pouring to make the mould- this may help in casting bubble free casts. Also you could try a mould spray loubricator it may stop the plastic cast forming bubbles at the bubbles in the mould! if that makes sence?

SSM do the bogies sides your looking for or you could the Y25 bogies from Bachmann which are a bit smaller then Irish ones

Eoin

Hi brianmcs

The mould looks cool, though it looks like you had an air problem also! the silicone looks like it needs to be evacuated when mixed and before pouring to make the mould- this may help in casting bubble free casts. Also you could try a mould spray loubricator it may stop the plastic cast forming bubbles at the bubbles in the mould! if that makes sence?

SSM do the bogies sides your looking for or you could the Y25 bogies from Bachmann which are a bit smaller then Irish ones

Eoin

Hello Eoin ,

I am a big fan of your work .

There are air bubbles in the surface which you can see but virtually none on the surfaces of the part. This can be achieved by brushing a coat of the silicone onto the part first .

If I was doing this professionally I might invest in some vacuum equipment which would produce a better result .

I am using a spray on wax on the silicone and a honey wax on the acetal core ( in the day job I work with GRP )

The lubricant will not usually eliminate the air bubbles in the polyurethane resin but there are a couple of ways of doing this .

I will try them and post an update .

Thanks for the tip regarding the bogies .

Brian.

Hi Brian

Thanks

I'm now a fan of your work, when I saw the way you put the mould together I said 'he's done this before' - GRP - I did a bit of that years ago working on boats n stuff- a long time ago!!

Even the master model for the mould is very neat

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Looking amazing, Brian! That lot will look amazing behind an "A"......

The bogie Bulks were never hauled by the A class as they were air braked wagons the A class were never equipped for air braked trains (029 was as a trial ).  

Nice job on the wagons 

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 1