Grain wagons, Tralee (Rock Street), summer 1978

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

By this stage in CIE "Supertrain" era orange. If this sounds odd for goods stock, CIE's containers were at that time painted orange too, as were the cement "bubbles". I think the chassis were brown as they were normal flat wagons. The chassis on the bubbles were grey.

These wagons shown were detachable containers, as distinct from the "Ranks" vehicles shown elsewhere on IRM in the past.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jhb171achill

Would indeed, Dive. Must delve for more oddities!

jhb171senior once spotted the Giant's Causeway Tramway repair tram at Bushmills. I have that somewhere.

Started another book recently and some of the things in that - IF publishable (and some are extremely poor original photographs so they may not be) - are very definitely in the oddball camp, e.g. the entire stock of the Waterford and Tramore on one train, odd maintenance vehicles from back in the day... and a good few green diesels. Good bit of work yet to be done, though.

Would indeed, Dive. Must delve for more oddities!

jhb171senior once spotted the Giant's Causeway Tramway repair tram at Bushmills. I have that somewhere.

Started another book recently and some of the things in that - IF publishable (and some are extremely poor original photographs so they may not be) - are very definitely in the oddball camp, e.g. the entire stock of the Waterford and Tramore on one train, odd maintenance vehicles from back in the day... and a good few green diesels. Good bit of work yet to be done, though.

Good luck with it, JB. Looking forward to it!

The bulk grain containers appear in a number of photos of the North Kerry yard during the same era. The ISO grain containers, Keg and the Back to Back fertiliser swap bodies were mentioned in an IRRS paper written in the late 60s early 70s possibly worth a visit to the IRRS library. The containers appear to have been used to transport barley for a large brewery.

Its possible the wagons were loaded on the rails at Rock Street as the maltings/grain silos were served by a private siding.

Its possible the wagons were loaded on the rails at Rock Street as the maltings/grain silos were served by a private siding.

Both Latchfords and Kellihers had private sidings off of the North Kerry yard which were in use into the seventies. I remember seeing covered vans in both but I recall seeing the grain containers unloaded by the gantry crane and going by lorry for loading. The photo shows them on the loading bank siding where the gantry was located.