bogie cement wagons

Rate this question

brianmcs

Question

thanks guys , elf and safety will soon shut down most human activity .

Is there any public place from which photos could be taken ?

get yourself into a nice clean-windowed 22000, early in teh afternoon on the way into limerick with a fast shutter speed wide angled camera and you should be in luck.

I took photo's of them 2 weeks ago and its very difficult to get a good shot. There's a cemetery running parallel to the line and if you scale the wall at the bottom corner you can get detail shots of the top of the cements. If you want to get a side view there's a field opposite with some horses but gaining access to it requires being a very skinny bugger squeezing through a broken post in a palisades fence. Failing that if you have a very good zoom lense (300mm - 500mm) you can get them from the road. Or if you could get access to the bus depot you'd get some great shots from there.

bulk cement limerick Feb '16 from road sml.jpg

bulk cement limerick Feb '16 sml.jpg

I suggest you contact the station master in Limerick and explain your case

You will need steel toe cap boots and a high viz vest, this is a must , confirm to him you have such items

Generally they will arrange to accompany you , at a quiet time and let you do your stuff, AN introduction from the IE heritage officer will also help , details on him on IEs site, Ive found him helpful

My experience is if you go through the correct channels , you will be accommodated

I suggest you contact the station master in Limerick and explain your case You will need steel toe cap boots and a high viz vest' date=' this is a must , confirm to him you have such items Generally they will arrange to accompany you , at a quiet time and let you do your stuff, AN introduction from the IE heritage officer will also help , details on him on IEs site, Ive found him helpful My experience is if you go through the correct channels , you will be accommodated[/quote']

Is that what you did in Claremorris?

Always important to survey these things while they still exist; as when they're gone, they're gone.

A rake of them would look nice on our layouts though, wouldnt they? :)

Exactly Fran what's here today is tomorrows history, and yes a rake of them would be fantastic. They are a beautiful wagon, one of my own personal favorites.

Rich,

I suggest you contact the station master in Limerick and explain your case

You will need steel toe cap boots and a high viz vest, this is a must , confirm to him you have such items

Generally they will arrange to accompany you , at a quiet time and let you do your stuff, AN introduction from the IE heritage officer will also help , details on him on IEs site, Ive found him helpful

My experience is if you go through the correct channels , you will be accommodated

Sorry, but that is complete garbage. The stationmaster is not responsible for the sidings, you need a PTS cert to access the track, which entails a 1 day training course and unless you work for IE or are an authorised contractor you will not get a cert to get near the trackside legally. The days of slapping on a high vis to go trackside to take photos are gone. The Heritage officer has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, but that is complete garbage. The stationmaster is not responsible for the sidings, you need a PTS cert to access the track, which entails a 1 day training course and unless you work for IE or are an authorised contractor you will not get a cert to get near the trackside legally. The days of slapping on a high vis to go trackside to take photos are gone. The Heritage officer has nothing to do with it.

Thanks guys, I don't fancy all that just to get some photos , though presumably , the heritage officer could take them .

Glenderg's photos (and hopefully railer's) have answered most of my questions .

Two details I do not have are the hatch lids and also the underneath of the tank .

OK you know best, Im just telling you the situation as I know it from recent experience in 2015 in two different situations. Nor did I say it was as simple as wearing a high vis. You will not be allowed to be unaccompanied either. Nor did I say the heritage officer has any say over that permission, merely , in my experience an introduction from him is useful.

you really could try to be more polite too.

Edited by Junctionmad

yes' date=' its requires that you be accompanied by a suitable IE employee, into areas where the public are not allowed[/quote']

Great, was going to have a look around there when the weather gets a bit better for pics etc. Might be worth making contact ahead and see if a proper look around while I'm there. Good to hear the staff are accommodating. Who's best to contact?

Great, was going to have a look around there when the weather gets a bit better for pics etc. Might be worth making contact ahead and see if a proper look around while I'm there. Good to hear the staff are accommodating. Who's best to contact?

That can be difficult to determine, in the days when I had a photographic pass ( ah the heady early 80s ) , It was always at the discretion of the Stationmaster, this seems to be the key person still today . Cooperation will depend on the individual and his or her workload etc , allow plenty of time to set it up and do it very much at their convenience . Most IE personnel are keen to cooperate, though I suspect its easier in areas of less frequent traffic

if you have a specific request, PM me and I'll see if I have any information that might help you

Edited by Junctionmad

Hello Guys ,

I am ready to start working on the chassis of this model .

Am wondering about the underneath of the tank section .

Is the tan k just a long cylinder or is it v shaped down to the middle.

In the photos you can see the cement discharge pipe coming out at a point which might be the bottom of the "V" .

Chances are , nobody has a photo of this , but you never know.