Belmond Hibernian - Luxury Touring Train

Rate this topic

I was told that by a maintenance manager a few months ago but thought it was just another rumour which the railway runs on. First step in the move to privatise the railways (actually the second step when you include the splitting of the company in to 'Infastructure' & 'Operations'

See Belmond's website for a little more info.

http://www.belmond.com/grand-hibernian-train/

which is where Broithe found the picture.

Bad news for Jim Deegan and others offering train trips in Ireland?

Maybe not - at £4,000 plus for FOUR nights (their Scottish train) I don't think so! Certainly NOT for anoraks!

I saw the Scottish train "loading" at Edinburgh - at most a dozen passengers that I saw being led out by a piper - to fill a train of at least a dozen coaches!

As Dave said, another new livery - so good news for Paddy M?

See Belmond's website for a little more info.

Certainly NOT for anoraks!

Indeed, that is why they are advertised as luxurious land cruises rather than "Rail tours", a different product for a different market.

As for loadings the press release says they only intend to have accommodation for 40 people in 20 cabins.

Just in case any of you can afford it - you can probably save a few Euros by bringing your own Saffron kilt (of course, our esteemed member, The former Commisioner of the Garda will have one from his days running The Force).

For the Scottish trips, Belmond tell you where to hire a kilt! Presumably you can hire 'em in Dublin as well?

Enough cynicism for one night, I'm off to bed!

Since it will be operated rail side from IE - contractual obligation to clean them perhaps, thats about it. It sounds like this would be run at most on a monthly basis, would it be practical to have a one off (maybe with a spare) rolling around with a funky livery?

Looking forward to something unique for the MK III's livery wise.

I for one, welcome our new cash collecting mk3 buying overlords.

I wonder how it will appeal to a hopefully different market from Railtours..... whose people stay in high class castles and hotels instead of the train.....

At night, where will it be stabled and what H & S arrangements will be in place re the comings and goings of overnight punters in a station possibly unmanned at night?

At night, where will it be stabled and what H & S arrangements will be in place re the comings and goings of overnight punters in a station possibly unmanned at night?

Oh the very thought of them parked up in a siding in limerick junction on a rainy evening, ghostly figures of wealthy passengers trudging up the road to the Bit & Bridle for a snakey pint.... it sounds all a bit like Stringfellows strip club in Parnell St!

This was mooted months ago here.... PIMP

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2093-MK3-Scrapping?p=45735&viewfull=1#post45735[/QUO

I see a few members are not saying much now the news is out at last about VSOE deal,wounder did they get the 201s they were after instead of the 141s!!

Personally, I'm not moved either way, save to say it will be nice to see something different on the network. I do find it funny, though, that there are some individuals who appear to be obsessed about being in so-called 'golden circles' and the need to possess 'exclusive' information about a train with the express intention of lording it over others with an undeserved sense of importance, not to mention smugness, when at the end of the day it's just a hobby. It's an attitude I don't think I'll ever understand, but hey, what would I know... I just live out here in the real world; I realise that it is just a hobby to be enjoyed, so I save that sort of energy for the things that actually are important.

Now, time for a coffee and then off to do some work...

This new product sounds like a welcome and positive development. Its a small niche market but anything that brings HNW tourists here seems a good thing for Ireland inc. The 'sleeper' element is interesting as we don't have long routes so presume it will be parked up somewhere over night. Where will be interesting. Some remote loop in the country side, or in a city location with good security. Cruise ships do the reverse by cruising at night and stopping in some port by day to allow the PAX off to visit places. But as they operate already on short Scottish routes I'm sure this has a proven solution. Good luck to them. A weeks cruise on the inland Shannon princess is circa €3k with top class catering on board. Sounds like the train product is a step up. Mind you a whole weeks cruise on a small 5 star ocean cruise ship is about half the cost of the mooted train fares. But then there is also clearly a market for 'star clippers'. Hope its a success.

Edited by Noel
Lexdisia

Personally, I'm not moved either way, save to say it will be nice to see something different on the network. I do find it funny, though, that there are some individuals who appear to be obsessed about being in so-called 'golden circles' and the need to possess 'exclusive' information about a train with the express intention of lording it over others with an undeserved sense of importance, not to mention smugness, when at the end of the day it's just a hobby. It's an attitude I don't think I'll ever understand, but hey, what would I know... I just live out here in the real world; I realise that it is just a hobby to be enjoyed, so I save that sort of energy for the things that actually are important.

I taught you have a poke as usual.

The cabins/compartments are worth a second look - we travelled across Canada by rail and it was the sleeping arrangements that let it down - the fact that the accommodation changed from day use to night use and bak again meant it was very creaky whereas what appears here is more like a hole room. Await developments.

Stephen

Its a bit ironic to see luxury tourist trains appearing so many years after the most scenic lines like Achill, Clifen, Valentia and Waterford-Mallow closed. CIEs 1st diesel programme in the 1940s included a luxury train aimed at the American tourist market.

It will be interesting to see if the new train will involve an element of overnight running, this would have advantages for Belmond and IE in moving guests between attractions, avoiding the boring bits in the middle, feeing up line capacity and improved security.

Had heard about it over the bush telegraph, but kept schtumm, not out of any sense of smugness but just in case it was some sort of cruel hoax!

Edited by minister_for_hardship

This was mooted months ago here.... PIMP

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2093-MK3-Scrapping?p=45735&viewfull=1#post45735[/QUO

I see a few members are not saying much now the news is out at last about VSOE deal,wounder did they get the 201s they were after instead of the 141s!!

Well done Mark. Pat yourself on the back there. Maybe some of us just dont care. ;)